NHW Weekly - May 16th
To NHW Parents/Guardians:
Grade 6 - Bedtime and Books
Join Mrs. Moore, our Reading Department Teacher, for bedtime and books with our grade 6 students. (See flyer below)
Date: Thurs. May 19th
Click HERE to join or see link below in flyer
Color Run --- This Saturday
ICYMI: In case you want to join your child at the color run, Purchase your tickets at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/color-fun-run-tickets-288896596497 (online registration closes Tuesday, May 17).
Message from our Nurses
A few friendly reminders:
With the weather warming, we have seen some students starting to wear sandals and flip flops. This is a reminder that sandals with straps are permitted, but flip flops are not. Also, please remember if your child has gym class, to make sure they are wearing sneakers with socks.
BASICS FOR WARMING WEATHER
During May, there are many activities and events planned outdoors. Sometimes the students will be outside for the majority of the day. The weather in May can be anything from chilly to very hot and sunny. Please plan accordingly for the day’s activities so that they can fully enjoy the day.
* As of the 2018/19 school year, the Pennsylvania Department of Health has determined that parents/ guardians may send non-aerosol sunscreen to school. Please contact the nurse's office for a permission slip if you did not fill out one at the start of the school year. Your child may reapply his or her own sunscreen as needed under the supervision of the nurse.
*Apply a layer of sunscreen on your child prior to coming to school.
* Dress in layers with a light outer layer for sun protection.
* Make sure that they bring a hat with a visor to protect their faces and eyes.
* A full water bottle is a necessity -especially on hot days only.
* Send a towel or small blanket for them to sit on for bagged lunch days (please watch the updates and calendars if this is offered the last week of school).
* Make sure the health room has a signed permission form from your child’s doctor to use their inhaler as needed in school.
Amelia B - Grade 2
Sam H - Grade 4
Mr. McClimans, Supervisor of Teacher Development, presented the students with invitations to the next Board Meeting, this Thursday, along with their families, teacher(s), and principal to celebrate their recognition.
RAZ Kids Summer Access (K-2)
PSSA Communications to Parents
Science PSSA's are over
Attendance for Science
Grade 4 - 0 absences --- Way to go grade 4 students !!!
This now completes all PSSA Testing at NHW. Thanks again to all the families for making sure your child was present.
Breakfast Changes this week
Tuesday - No School - ACT 80 Day
Wednesday - Mini Bagel w/ cream cheese - Cinnamon Raisin or Cereal Bar Cocoa Puff
Thursday - French Toast or Cereal Honey Cheerios
Friday - Frudel Apple or Pop Tart Fudge
Kindergarten Screenings -- NOW OPEN !!!
All students expected to attend kindergarten for the 2022-2023 school year should attend.
Please have your online registration completed prior to the appointment by visiting kinder.rlasd.net. If you have documents to provide the District, please bring those items along with you to the appointment.
Summer Reading Program
To those families that would like to participate in our yearly summer reading program, please see the links below. The first link is a video from the library system explaining about Oceans of Possibilities (theme for this year's program) The second link, is the reading calendar. Questions, contact Mrs. Moore, Reading Teacher at firstname.lastname@example.org
Video from library: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbIg4lSYWqA&authuser=0
Red lion summer reading calendar:
(if the link does not work, the calendar is below)
Click to enter Skyward, Volunteer Info, School Safety Tip Hotline, Transportation, Etc.
This Weeks PRIDE Winners Are.......
Lost & Found Items Still Unclaimed
PTO Spring Book Fair
Mrs. McKinsey, Mrs. Klock, Mr. Kauffman, Mrs. Beatty, Mrs. Rogers, and Mrs. Russell and anyone else behind the scenes!
- Soda/Monster Drinks -- Please no soda or monster drinks in packed lunches / Water only in drink bottles in classrooms. See student handbook pages 9 & 10.
- Attendance -- Students leaving before 12:10pm and not returning to school will be marked a full day absence. Please schedule appointments later in afternoon.
- NHW After School Hours -- If visiting the school grounds after hours, please make sure your children are supervised at all times. Please make sure to exit grounds at dusk, and we ask that no children are knocking on the windows of the school. Thanks for your cooperation!
- Hybrid Days --- Please click here as hybrid has changed from last year.
- Water Bottles -- Please bring water bottles for your child to fill up during the day
- Kindergarten Registration --- Do you have a child who will be 5 on or before August 31, 2022? Do you plan to register them for kindergarten? If so, the online kindergarten registration process opened on February 1st at kinder.rlasd.net.
- Color Fun Run - Purchase your tickets (May 21, 2022) at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/color-fun-run-tickets-288896596497 Questions, call Erin Rogers for more details (410-262-2969).
- After School Events -- If there is a change in schedule, please contact the office immediately so there is no confusion to where your child should be. Emails sometimes are not received till after students dismiss for the day.
- Memory Books - They will be delivered towards the end of May 2022.
- Hersheypark Tickets --- They will be delivered by mid May 2022.
- Bowling Sign - Up -- Bowling signup is closed till the Fall.
- Lifetouch Spring Pictures - Any problems, contact Lifetouch 1-800-743-8997
- PM Car Riders -- A friendly reminder when picking up your child to not block Winterstown Road or the entrance to the school in any way. If there is a line out to the road, please park at the church or fire hall parking lot until the traffic begins to move. This is for the safety of our children, buses, other parents, and community drivers.
- AM Car Riders - Please do not drop children off before the bell rings at 8:45. This is for the safety of your child. There is no adult supervisor until 8:45am.
- First Aid Kit Fundraiser - All items should be delivered by mid-May.
2021-2022 School Year
16 - Running with the Lions After School - Grades 4-6 --- CANCELLED due to weather
16 - AM Music Assembly - starts 9:45am (approx 45 min)
17 - ACT 80 Day - No School for Students / Office Closed
17 - PE Fun Night Grades 3-6 (6:00-8:00pm) @ RLASHS
18 - Running with the Lions After School - Grades K-6 (LAST SESSION)
18 - Grade 5-6 PE Fun Day (Rain Date)
19 - Red/White and Blue Spirit Day
19 - Grade K-2 Field Day in PM
21 - NHW Color Run Day (held at NHW Elem. School Building)
23 - Yearbook Distribution
25 - Grade K-2 Field Day (Rain Date)
27 - Last Day of School for Students / Early Dismissal 12:40
27 - PM / Teacher Professional Development Day
30 - Memorial Day / Office is Closed
31 - Office is Open 7:30-4:30pm
1 - PTO Roller-R-Way Night 6:00-8:00pm (more info to come)
1 - Office is Open 7:30-4:30pm
2 - Office Closed in PM for the Summer (Tentative date)
Anyone needing inside the building, contact HughesS@rlasd.net to make
10 - Free Dental Clinic at York Expo
11 - Free Dental Clinic at York Expo
19 - Father's Day
3 - Red Lion Fireworks 9pm
4 - Independence Day
5 - Red Lion Fireworks 9pm (Rain date)
9 - PTO Meeting 6pm
13 - Red Lion Borough Street Fair 9:00am - 4:00pm
18 - Elementary Meet the Teacher Night
22 - 1st Day of School (Grades 1 - 12)
22 - Kindergarten Meet & Greet
23 - Kindergarten Meet & Greet
24 - Kindergarten 1st Day of School
** NOTE: District calendar days is subject to change as deemed necessary by the Board of School Directors **