Overcoming the Bully!
Everyone is capable.
What is Cyberbullying?
Everyone goes through some sort of bullying in their life. Whether it being called a name in middle school or a co-worker giving you a hard time on the job. While there are new technological advancements in the world today, so is a new form of harassment, Cyberbullying. The bully can now use their cell phone or social networking sites to harass the target. This could include posting rude and hurtful statuses, embarrassing pictures or videos, or just constant hurtful text messages being sent to or about one person or group of people. Someone could be bullied for their sexuality, their appearance, beliefs, interests, etc.
- 90% of teens have seen social-media bullying say they have ignored it. 84% have seen others to tell the bully to stop.
- Girls are about twice as likely as boys to be victims and perpetrators of cyberbullying.
- About 58% of kids admit someone has said mean or hurtful things to them online. More than 4 out of 10 say it has happened more than once.
- Bullying victims are 2 to 9 times more likely to commit suicide.
- 81% of young people think bullying online is easier to get away with than bullying in person.
- Nearly 43% of kids have been bullied online. 1 in 4 has had it happen more than once.
- 70% of students report seeing frequent bullying online.
- Only 1 in 10 teens tells a parent if they have been a cyberbully victim.
Ways to Help:
- Do not respond to the bully. Messaging or fighting back will only encourage the bully, don't give them the satisfaction of seeing you hurt and upset.
- Making a joke of it is completely up to you. Using humor allows you to catch the bully of guard, they won't know how to respond. Bullies look for a hurt reaction, by going along with what they say in a sarcastic manner will take away their fun.
- Most social media sites allow you to block the bully, take advantage.
- If the bullying is so consistent and you just can not stand it, stand up for yourself, but you don't have to be mean about it. Like what was mentioned before, they are only looking for a hurt reaction. Telling them to leave you alone and how you aren't hurt, but annoyed, it shows how brave you are.
Rise Against - Make It Stop (September's Children)