MUSTANG PARENT ALERT
T. L. Marsalis Elementary STEAM Academy
A NOTE FROM THE PRINCIPAL
November 1, 2021
Hello Mustang Families!
November is finally here and we are halfway through our first semester of school! The students received their 3-week progress report this week. If you did not receive your child's report card, you can also view your child's grades by registering for a Parent Portal account, so make sure you have an active account.
Thank you all for keeping in communication with our administrators and staff to help make our school a better school. The transition back to in-person learning has been different, but I know we are on the right track as we work to ensure that our students are displaying our Marsalis principles of being respectful, responsible, and ready to learn. We appreciate the partnership you are building with our campus and sincerely hope you will continue to support your child academically and socially at home as well.
Don't forget we document student tardies in our attendance system. We have several students who are arriving to school extremely late on a daily basis. Please know that a large accumulation of tardies will count against a student's overall attendance.
Kimberly M. Richardson
Mask protocol remains
Data shows our mask requirement has helped keep the percentage of positive cases down, and Dallas ISD is one of the districts with the lowest transmission rates compared to districts without one. For now, we will continue the mask protocol for students, staff, and visitors inside facilities. However, the district will continue to monitor data and reassess in mid-December.
The safety of our students and staff remains our highest priority, and we will continue working closely with Dallas County Health and Human Services to reassess should the threat level continue to decrease or rise again.
ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL REMINDERS
- Our Fall phase of the Afterschool Academy has begun for students in need of academic support outside of the traditional school day. Parents, please make sure you stay in communication with your child teacher(s) regarding their progress as we begin to prepare them for the close of Fall semester and districtwide ACP exams.
- We are excited to welcome Ms. Keely Brent to our campus as our district Reading Interventionist Teacher. She will be working with a select group of students in grades 2-5 who need additional support in foundational and reading comprehension skills. If your child has been identified for this support, you will receive communication from Ms. Brent.
- All returning DISD students will need to bring their devices to campus. This includes all DISD students, not just returning Marsalis students. Our students engage in both hands-on and interactive instruction and will need their devices.
- Dallas ISD will not be replacing any laptop or IPAD chargers that students have lost or misplaced. Please assist your child with their technology needs by purchasing a replacement charger for their device.
Make sure you set up a Parent Portal account to have real-time access to your child's assignments, grades and attendance.
- Lego League Explore has begun with 1st Grade students taking on the challenge. Students will be tasked with creating a Lego model around the Cargo Connect Theme. Sessions take place Tuesday and Thursday during Specials.
- First Lego League (our Robotics club) for students in grades 4-5 meets on Wednesdays from 3:15 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. If you would like more information, please contact our campus sponsors, Mrs. Hall or Mr. Wiseman.
- Chess Club meets on Wednesdays from 3:15 p.m. - 4:15 p.m. First competition will be in December.
- MLK – 4th and 5th grade students participating in 5th grade will begin recording their speeches this week. Submissions are due at the end of next week and the School winner will be announced mid November. Good luck to all our Orators!
- The Mustang Basketball program begins practice on Wednesday and Thursday, November 10-11, 2021, from 3:15 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Contact Coach Jenkins for your child's practice date.
- The 2021 T. L. Marsalis Elementary STEAM Academy Student Photography Show's opening reception will be Wednesday, November 10, 2021 at the Polk-Wisdom Branch of the Dallas Public Library. Time is 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Mrs. Mitchell has created a fantastic Twitter page that is all about the wonderful things that are happening in her TAB-inspired classroom! Check it out!
EARLY ENROLLMENT FOR ALL PK TO KINDERGARTEN TRANSITION
Thank you for choosing Marsalis for PreKindergarten! Even though it may feel early to do so, it is time to think about where your student will enroll for Kindergarten. If your student’s home address does not fall within our school’s attendance boundaries, he/she will not be automatically enrolled at our school next year. By default, all Dallas ISD Kindergarten students are enrolled at their neighborhood (“zoned”) school.
If you would like your student to continue at Marsalis for Kindergarten in the 2022-2023 school year, you must submit a Choose Dallas ISD application. The online application can be completed using a smartphone, computer, or tablet and is due by Sunday, January 31, 2022. Please visit dallasisd.org/choosedallasisd to start the application process.
If you plan to enroll your student at his/her neighborhood (“zoned”) school for Kindergarten, no action is necessary from you at this time. He/she will be automatically be enrolled there and you will receive information later in the spring about registration for the 2022-2023 school year.
Please do not hesitate to contact our office staff if you have any questions about the PreK to Kindergarten transition or the Choose Dallas ISD application process. We are here to help!
We’re excited about our newly formed Marsalis Parent Advisory Team and we are still looking for a few good parents to work alongside our campus leadership team and staff to support our campus. More details to come... If you are interested in being a part of the Marsalis Magic and learning more about this volunteer opportunity, please fill out the link below: https://forms.gle/CncsA43mXTFoBqJA9
UPCOMING PARENT AND STUDENT WORKSHOPS
I will be hosting parent and student workshops on using social media responsibly on November 11-12, 2021. The parent workshop will be held on Thursday, November 11, 2021 from 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. via Zoom and a follow up student session for grades 3-5 will be held during Specials classes on Friday, November 12, 2021. It is very important that our students understand how to use their technology platforms in a healthy manner for their own social and emotional well-being. Hope to see everyone at the parent workshop!
Log In Information for Parent Workshop:
Meeting ID: 827 9298 2787
If you feel your child needs counseling, click on the link below my name. On the left side of the page, click Meet the Counselor and a drop down displays Parent Needs Assessment and Student Counseling Referral. I encourage everyone to complete the Needs Assessment for every child you have at Marsalis. Use the referral anytime you or your child has a concern that needs addressing.
Your school counselor,
Ms. Telisa Ingram
COMMON CENT$ CAMPAIGN
The Common Cents-Dallas Program, exclusively offered through Dallas ISD, is a student driven coin collection effort designed to raise money for charity and nonprofit organizations, it encourages good citizenship, and social responsibility. The Marsalis Student Council will be participating in this program and will be selecting the nonprofits that will be receiving the funds that are collected by the school.
Mustang Spirit Gear Updates
The new embroidered iron-on crest patches for uniform shirts, etc. are currently available for purchase for $5.00. Please contact the main office if you are interested in purchasing them.
2021 National STEM Certification Ceremony
Official Recognition Plaque
STEM Certified Teachers
Congratulations to our fantastic first cohort of teachers! Our second cohort is currently hard at work!
White Coat Ceremony
Each of our STEM-certified teachers were presented with their official STEM white lab coat.
Students are expected to be in the correct school uniform each day. Parents will be called to bring the appropriate clothing if students are out of dress code. Please be reminded that the only color for uniform bottoms is khaki.