Lakeview Family Newsletter - January 25
Prefer to read this in a different language? Scroll to the bottom and click "translate".
Monday, January 28 - No school
• The district has a document which describes the process used to make decisions about days when school needs to be closed. The decision to keep school open or close it is never made lightly, and people always have opinions on the issue.
• When the "feels like" temperature is below 10 degrees, our students stay inside. That means before school and recess.
• Please still send boots, snowpants, etc. every day. We go out whenever possible!
• Students need both boots AND snowpants to leave the blacktop.
• If it is too cold to be outside before school, students may come in starting at 8:15 a.m. Parents and families should drop children off at the door, but only the students themselves should come inside.
• We get a lot of phone calls at school asking, "Is Lakeview open today?" If the School District of South Milwaukee is open, Lakeview is open. We will only notify families if the district is closed.
Schools across South Milwaukee will join other schools across the nation to celebrate Kindness Week. Of course, we expect students to be kind every day, and it is one of our five SM Character Traits. But we set aside a week to highlight the value of kindness within Lakeview and beyond our walls. There will be a coin war to raise funds for a health clinic in Liberia, Africa. There will be spirit days to highlight a different kindness theme each day, and a kindness chain built in our hallways out of the kind acts students do for each other on a daily basis.
Here are two links about kindness week:
Tuesday, January 29 - "Ride the kindness wave"
Beach/Hawaiian day (but remember it is January)
Wednesday, January 30 - "Hats off to kindness"
Thursday, January 31 - "We can workout problems"
Wear workout clothes or team apparel
Friday, February 1 - "Powered by kindness"
Superhero clothes (no masks, please)
Tuesday, February 4 - "Dream of kindness"
Literacy Night is coming up!
Please click the links below to find the teacher newsletter for your student(s):
Specialists - all grades (will rotate grades each week)
Monday, January 28
NO SCHOOL - Professional Development day for staff
Tuesday, January 29 through Friday, February 1
Kindness Week at all SM schools (see below)
Tuesday, February 5
Admiral's Day at Lakeview - please wear blue shirts!
A player from the Admirals will read to one grade level
Tuesday, February 5
Yearbook pictures - group photos will be taken this day
Upcoming PTO Events
Next PTO meeting - Thursday, February 14 from 7-8 p.m. in the library
Ice Cream Social/Art Show/Book Fair - Thursday, February 21 from 5-7 p.m.
Scholastic Book Fair - February 27 & 28 during conferences from 4-7 p.m.
A shoe collection fundraiser will begin at the end of February - if you have extra shoes that you are planning to donate (like bins of old children's shoes), save them to bring to Lakeview. We will receive funds and the shoes are donated to a good cause.
Rollaero Family Skate Night - Thursday, March 21 from 5-7 p.m.