4-H Friday News Blast for 11.15.19
Time to enroll for 2020!
2020 Enrollment is Open!
Enrollment is open for the 2020 program year! Club members, club leaders, independent members, project leaders, and superintendents must re-enroll each year.
To date 40 individuals have re-enrolled: 31 youth and 19 volunteers.
Enrollment instructions are available to help you navigate the 4-H Online system. Be sure to check out the following resources:
4-H Council Meeting on Monday
Note: This is for all the 2019 council members. 2020 members will start their term in January 2020.
Senior Scholarship Applications
Take note: The 1st application is to the Extension Office by December 1st. It's the Martha and Don Romeo Scholarship. The NE Association of Fair Managers will award a $500 scholarship to one qualifying 4-H male and 4-H female who are graduating seniors in Nebraska and who plan to continue with post high school education.
A core principle of 4-H is contributing in your local community, celebrate today! Find an opportunity to make someone's day, and you may just start a positive chain of good deeds and selflessness.
- Send an uplifting text to a friend or family member
- Treat someone to a cup of coffee
- Give a genuine compliment to someone
- Volunteer at a community event
- Be kind to yourself.
Volunteers for First Lego League
Nebraska 4-H Club of the Month
Shooting Sports Instructors:
Please fill out your annual instructor report by November 22nd in order to maintain discipline certification. You should have received an email with a link to the reporting form. If you need the link again, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and she can forward you the link. Thank you for your assistance with this effort!
Save the Dates: State 4-H Events
Save the Dates: State 4-H Events
As you are planning and preparing for a new 4-H year, be sure to save the following dates of state-level events and opportunities:
· Horse Stampede - March 28
· Companion Animal Challenge - March 28
· PASE & Life Challenge - June 22-23
· State Horse Expo - July 12-16
Equine - New Horsemanship Advancement Level Workshops
New Horsemanship Advancement Level Workshops
4-H Adult/Leader Workshop
March 8, 2020
Topics include advanced riding maneuvers, feed charts, nutrition, first aid, and much more! Register by February 24 for the discounted fee of $40.
4-H Youth/Member Workshop - Level 3 & 4
March 8, 2020
This workshop is designed for 4-H'ers who have passed Level 2. Topics include advanced riding maneuvers, feed charts, nutrition, first aid, and much more! Register by February 24 for the discounted fee of $40.
On-line Self-paced Cat Club
The Nebraska 4-H Cat Club program has recently been revised. Cat Club is now a self-paced learning opportunity. It is still open to all youth regardless of enrollment and adults interested in learning more about cats and the 4-H cat project. New lessons are added each month from September through May. Lessons are available through Google Classroom.
School-Year 4-H Camps
Nebraska 4-H Camps & Centers is now offering day and residential camps throughout the year. Camps provide a wonderful opportunity for youth to get away and spend some quality time connecting with nature and the great outdoors. School-year camps are offered while youth have days off from school or are on school breaks, including:
· Winter Resident Camp - February 15-16
· Spring Break Camp - April 6-10
National Western Stock Show Catch-A-Calf Program
It is again time for 4-H Members interested in the cattle industry to apply for the National Western Stock Show Catch-A-Calf program. Currently, Nebraska has 12 participants in the 2019-20 CAC program. It is an educational opportunity that develops skills that will be used throughout their careers.
Applications are online at nationalwestern.com/catch-a-calf-program/ with a signature form that must be completed and sent to NWSS no later than December 1, 2019.
County 4-H Calendar
4-H Council Meeting - November 18 at 7:00 pm
Large Animal Superintendent's Meeting - November 18 at 6:00 pm
Nebraska 4-H Camp 101 Session - November 20
- Shooting Sports Instructors Reports Due - November 22
- Make it Yourself with Wool - November 23
- Cass County Extension Office closed for Thanksgiving - November 28-29
- National Catch-a-Calf applications due: December 1st
Looking into the New Year ...
- Summer Camps announced for 2020
- Nebraska Cattlemen's Classic Judging Contest - Saturday, 2.15.2020 in Kearney
- Chick Days at UNL ... March 14, 2020 in Lincoln. Go to:
- 2020 Horse Judging School - March 7, 2020
- 2020 Adult/Leader Equine Advancement Level Workshop - March 8, 2020
- 2020 Equine 4-H Youth 3 & 4 Advancement Level Workshop - March 8, 2020
- 4-H Horse Stampede - March 28, 2020 at UNL
- 4-H Companion Animal Challenge - March 28, 2020
Ag Information & Other Opportunities:
- Ag Land Transition/Estate Planning Workshops ... Nov 20 | Dec 4 | Dec 10 in Weeping Water
- FSA Farm Bill Education Meeting in Weeping Water ... December 3, 2019
- October Ag Line Newsletter
- Hort Update
- Gardening articles by Sarah Browning (New articles posted almost every week)
- Recorded Webinar and info on "Hunting Leases" with vital information for landowners
- Nebraska Extension Publications ... online Library
Become a Master Gardener ... for 2020 program, register by January 17, 2020
Nebraska Extension Cass County
Lauren Stohlmann, Extension Educator and Unit Leader, email@example.com
Katie Kreuser, Extension Educator, firstname.lastname@example.org
Tracy Ensor, Extension Assistant, email@example.com
Sondra Buell, Office Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
General Mailbox, email@example.com