Week of October 17, 2022
Notes from the Principal's Desk
No School Reminder: Wednesday, October 19 there is NO SCHOOL due to teacher/staff professional development day.
1/2 Day of School Reminder: October 28 and October 31 will be 1/2 days of school with a dismissal time of 11:44am each day.
Morgan Fun Fridays in October:
October 21--Dress in fall colors--Fall Festival Day
October 28--Wear your MSU/U of M gear to get ready for the annual match up!
PTO is hosting a Fall Festival on October 21, from 5 - 8 pm at Morgan (flyer below). This includes a family Scarecrow competition (see below). Fun way to spend some family time with other Morgan families!
Penny Wars are coming: the week of October 24 - 28 for Michigan/Michigan State Week! Rules and incentives will be shared shortly. Save those loose coins!
PTO Meeting: Tuesday, October 18 starting at 6:30 pm @ The Detroit Grille House
Colder Weather Recess: We will continue to head outdoors for lunch and/or 2nd recess throughout the seasons in Michigan. As the weather is quickly turning colder, please help your child choose clothing that will keep them warm outside for 20 minutes. There were multiple requests to go inside during lunch recess from multiple students stating they were too cold. These same students were wearing short sleeves, short pants, and/or did not have a hoodie or jacket to wear.
When weather is 20 degrees and above, without active rain or heavy, wet snow, we will be outside for recess. Between 15 - 20 degrees, we monitor the wind chill to determine if it is warm enough to be outside. Below 15 degrees, we are inside for recess.
Have a good week!
6th Grade Library Evening
Morgan Halloween Parade
Parade Information and Costume Guidelines
HALLOWEEN GUIDELINES HELP ENSURE SAFETY FOR ALL!!!
We welcome moms, dads, grandparents, and family members to join Morgan Elementary School for a morning of Halloween fun on October 31st. However, we do ask that you help us ensure a successful and safe day by following a few guidelines….
· Please do not arrive prior to 11:00 a.m. on the 31st unless you are helping with a classroom party. Our students will be involved in classroom instruction up to that time.
· Find a location on the play pads, leaving room for our students to parade around the school, to observe our Rockets as they parade around the outside of the building. Please do not line the sidewalk by the entryway as there is limited space in that location. The south play pad, the east play pad, and the north play pad have plenty of room to spread out and observe our costumed Rockets as they parade.
· Spread out around the outside building. Students will be exiting through the lobby doors, then walking around the outside of Morgan and back in at the back lobby doors.
· After the parade, we will NOT be calling classrooms for early dismissal. Instead, please arrange a meeting place outside of the building to meet your child during dismissal time.
· The following is an approximate schedule for Wednesday, October 31st:
11:15 a.m. PARADE BEGINS—11:44 a.m. DISMISSAL
· Only parents who have signed up to volunteer ahead of time with classroom teachers will be able to volunteer in the building on October 31.
HALLOWEEN COSTUME GUIDELINES
Halloween is a favorite holiday for many children. Not only do they love to participate, but they also take great pleasure in planning for the occasion. Our school is stressing “positive participation” during the Halloween celebration(s) at Morgan Elementary School.
As always, we are urging children to model their costumes on positive role models. Book characters, historical figures, first responders, colorful and fun, are all great ideas to consider when thinking of that perfect costume. We hope that children will choose or design costumes that reflect the joy, wonder and imagination that childhood represents.
All of us at Morgan Elementary work diligently to teach children how to solve problems in a non-violent way. WE DO NOT WANT TO SEE CHILDREN DRESSED AS PERPETRATORS OR VICTIMS OF VIOLENCE. This includes props and accessories related to blood, gore, and weapons. Even if the weapon is part of the outfit, please leave it at home and use for actual trick-or-treating.
On the morning of October 31st, changing rooms and time to dress will be limited, so minimally complicated costumes should be considered.
Check with your child’s teacher to see if students can wear their costume into school. Students should be able to participate in learning activities while wearing the costume. If it is too big (like the blow-up costumes), your child will need to remove the costume until it is time for the parade.
UCS News and Updates
Just Around the Corner...for Girls Grades 4th/5th
UCS Wellness Podcast
The UCS Wellness team is happy to announce the seventh episode of their podcast series. The team worked with community members to create a podcast regarding different areas of physical, mental, and social health for UCS staff, students, and families. These podcasts are available on the UCS Wellness page. UCS Wellness - Utica Community Schools (uticak12.org)
The seventh podcast in the series is titled “Our Youth and Vaping.” Below is a list of the podcasts available on the Wellness page:
- Mental Health with guest, Nancy Buyle
- Grief and the Grieving Process for Children
- Family Communication
- CARE of Southeastern Michigan
- Discussing Dating Violence with Turning Point
- Tackling Tough Topics with the Macomb County Sheriff’s Office
- Our Youth and Vaping
UCS Food Service News
October Lunch Menu
Lunch is $2.75 per day
October Breakfast Menu
Breakfast is $1.75
PTO Meeting--Tuesday, Oct. 18
It was wonderful to see new faces and have new volunteers to help with all the wonderful things PTO provides for our Morgan students!
Next meeting is Tuesday, October 18 starting at 6:30 pm @ The Detroit Grille House.
October 18, 2022 @ 6:30 @ Detroit Grille House
Call to Order
Approval of September Meeting Minutes
- approval of financial report
• Committee volunteers needed
• School Spirit Wear
• Fall Festival – Chaired by Frances Royston and Michelle Finnegan
• Scarecrow Contest
• Penny Wars
• Restaurant Night – Chaired by Michelle Finnegan and Amy Davidson
• Skate Night - November 8, December 16
• Chuck E Cheese - November 25, February 20, May 26
• Christmas Shop
• Teacher Stipends
• Monthly Teacher Appreciation
• Playground Update – Playground Cart
• Birthday Bags
• Nature Center
• Spirit Wear
• Floor Hockey Update
• Bagel Day
• Charter Buses
Teacher’s Report – Mrs. Ulbrich
Principal’s Report – Mrs. Lasky
Next meeting November 15
PTO Restaurant Week--Mamma B's Pizzeria
Skate Night--November 8, December 16
Kroger Rewards for Morgan PTO
Kroger Plus Card
Once you're enrolled, you'll earn rewards for Morgan Elementary every time you shop and use your Plus Card!
All supporters must have a registered Kroger Plus card account online to be able to link their card to an organization.
Link your card at www.kroger.com/i/community/community-rewards
Morgan's Organization Number is TV320
Organization Name: Morgan Elementary-Morgan Volunteers
How to stay informed!
Meet the PTO Board Members!
You can reach your Morgan Volunteers PTO by sending an email to :
Mrs. Amanda Hussey
Mrs. Lora Walker
Mrs. Renee Chaptini
Mrs. Megan Dorling
Mr. Andrew McCloskey
Calendar Items--Upcoming Dates
Tues. October 18: Morgan PTO Meeting 6:30 pm @ The Detroit Grille House
Wed., October 19: NO SCHOOL--Teacher Professional Development Day
Fri, October 21: PTO Fall Festival 5-8 pm (flyer above)
Wed., October 26: 6th Grade Library Night @ The Shelby Township Library 6-7 PM
Fri., October 28: 1/2 Day of School--Students dismissed @ 11:44 AM
Last Day of Marking Period 1
Mon. October 31: 1/2 Day of School--Students dismissed @ 11:44 AM
Halloween Parade 11:15 AM--outside of Morgan
Tues., Nov. 8: NO SCHOOL--Teacher Professional Development Day
Wed., Nov. 9: Evening conferences--sign up to come soon
Thurs., Nov. 10: 1/2 Day of School--Students dismissed @ 11.44 AM.
PM Conferences--sign up to come soon
Evening conferences--sign up to come soon
School Hours: 8:40 am - 3:30 pm
1/2 Day School Hours: 8:40 am - 11:44 am
Attendance Line (to report absent/tardy students): 586-797-5899
Mission: Morgan is dedicated to developing lifelong learners through the working relationship of students, staff, and community.
Vision: We are a community of compassionate, committed professionals and learners who become academically successful through collaboration, ownership, and perseverance.