Principal Weekly Message
This is your weekly update from Principal Otis Maben
Week of February 19-23
Words From your Principal
Hey Tiger Family this is your principal Mr. Otis Maben (MAY-BEN).
Can you believe parents we are at the last week of February heading into March!! This is a leap year and and LEAP YEAR for Y.E SMITH!! We are leaping into a bigger and better place. We had a great time last night at our Black History Program. Thank you to all the families that showed up and I am so proud of all the students who participated!
What Parents Need to Know!
Panorama Survey (K-3 Parents)
The Panorama Survey is survey students take that asks questions about their perception of school and how they feel about themselves, teachers and the school. This data is important in making our school better for students
Due to the new Parents’ Bill of Rights, DPS is seeking parental consent to allow K-3 students to participate in the survey. For younger students in grades through 2nd grade, homeroom teachers will complete a perception survey for each student. Students in grade 3 and above take the survey independently with staff supervision.
Please look for an email and/or a text with a link to consent, or you may click this link to allow your student to participate: https://t.ly/seloptin
- Parents it is critical students are in school. Student who are missing consistent days are likely to fall behind. Please partner with us to problem solve to ensure students are present at school.
- Severe attendance issues that impact student learning could result in retention or prevent student moving forward to the next grade. If you need support please reach out to our school Social Worker Angelica Barns-Smith
Power of Possibilities: DPS Student Assignment plan 2024-2025
- Nothing has changed this year.
- Student assignment changes take place July 2024
- Students will be assigned to 1 of 5 district regions.
- Each region has a year-round option, and other school choices and support shorter bus routes.
- Students can attend their zoned school.
- Every elementary school will offer STEM, arts, and global language programs.
- Be sure to check your mailbox for a letter and visit dpsnc.net/possibilities for details on the 2024-25 Elementary Student Assignment Plan and to register for informational meetings.
How Can I help Y.E. Smith?
Donate Money to the School online
- If you wish to donate money of any size or know of any community members who would like to donate to support our school events. Donations can be made using this link: Y.E Smith Donations or scan the QR Code
- We reward students through our Tiger Store. We need support and donations.
- Parents, we are asking for school donations. We are hoping you can donate small tokens, toys, and other items you can find in a Store.,
- Please donate the following items:
- Toys, Wristband Colorful pencils, pens eraser, small plastic ball
- Toy cars, small dolls, Fast food gift card Movie Candy Variety bag of chips
Many of these items can be found in:
- Family Dollar/Dollar General Target, Walmart, five and below
You can bring these items to school or donate money towards it using the QR Code
- Instructional time for students is 7:15-2:15
- Students are expected to attend school every day.
- Students who arrive at or after 7:45 are late and must be signed by their parents.
- Please do not drop your child off at school without signing them in.
- Parents will be contacted if students have excessive absences.
Safety is our #1 Priority for students.
- Transportation changes should be confirmed by 1:30 PM.
- Parents need to call the front office and update transportation changes for their child.
- Please update in PowerSchool all individuals who have permission to pick up your child from school. If family/or friends are not on the pickup list, they will not be permitted to pick up your child.
- Student will follow their normal transportation routine if transportation changes have not been confirmed by 1:30
- Parents must remain in their cars during Carpool.
- Parents can start parking in the carpool lane at 2:10 Dismissal starts at 2:15
- Any car parked before 2:10 will be asked to be moved by the administration.
- Parents, for safety purposes please have your Car Tag in your window and all car riders were given two tags.
- Parents do not park and cross the street to pick up your child. You will be asked to wait.
- Bus assignments are created based upon your address in PowerSchool.
- If you need support with transportation, please all or email Elda Alaniz at email@example.com