College & Career Readiness News
BISD COLLEGE & CAREER FAIR
The BISD College & Career Fair is Tuesday, JANUARY 26, 2016, from 6:00-7:30pm. This year the fair will be located at Centennial High School. Students of all ages and in all grades are encouraged to attend. Please make plans to attend and visit with recruiters from all over!
FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
- On January 1, the 2016-2017 FAFSA became available. Seniors can now start filling out the FAFSA. Visit https://fsaid.ed.gov/ to obtain your FSA ID. Once you obtain your FSA ID, visit https://fafsa.ed.gov/ to start filling out the FAFSA.
- We know that filling out the FAFSA can often be stressful. We will have our annual FAFSA Workshop on Wednesday, February 24, 2016, from 6:00-7:00 pm at BHS.
- Completing the FAFSA is critical to getting access to billions in grants, loans, and work-study funds. Moreover, it is free, quick (on average taking less than 30 minutes), and easy.
- To make sure that students do not leave money on the table, the Department has prepared a number of blog posts:
Also, Acting Secretary King recorded a video encouraging students to complete the FAFSA.
Visit StudentAid.gov for complete information on federal financial aid, including types of aid available, qualification criteria, and managing loans.
APPLYING FOR SCHOLARSHIPS
- All scholarships received through BISD are posted in Career Cruising. Visit Viewing Scholarships in Career Cruising for instructions.
ACCEPTANCE LETTERS & SCHOLARSHIPS
- Seniors, please continue to turn in your acceptance letters to Mrs. Christian-Shafer in the Academic Office. The "senior wall" is waiting for you! #accepted #collegebound #BHSseniors2016
- As you receive scholarships, please bring to Mrs. Christian-Shafer in the Academic Office.
You don't want to miss out on being honored at Senior Awards Night and/or the 2nd Annual "Elks"ellence Celebration in the spring. Students should turn in their acceptance letters and scholarships in order to be recognized at these events.
PSAT/NMSQT & PSAT 10
- PSAT scores are now available online. Watch the video for information about your scores.
- Sign in or sign up to view your score report. If you have previously created a CollegeBoard account, use that username and password. If you have not previously created a CollegeBoard account, create one now.
- Send your scores to Khan Academy® for personalized practice recommendations.
AP COURSE & EXAM INFORMATION
WHY TAKE ADVANCED PLACEMENT® COURSES & ADVANCED PLACEMENT® EXAMS?
- Advanced Placement® courses are college-level courses offered in high school. They can give your child a taste of what college is like and can help him or her stand out on college applications. Not only that, but scoring well on the AP® exam can get your child college credit, placement out of introductory courses or both, potentially saving thousands of dollars in tuition and fees.
- The CollegeBoard has created a website so you and your child can gather information about AP credit and placement policies at many colleges and universities. You will find this resource at www.collegeboard.org/apcreditpolicy.
- A bill signed into law in 2015, for freshmen entering college in 2016-2017, states that colleges and universities must award course credit to students who score at least a 3 on an AP exam. Please know that all discrepancies have not been worked out. Check with your specific college or university for a final answer on a particular exam.
AP EXAM REGISTRATION
- AP exam registration will be in February, and AP exams will be in May.
- Please refer to the calendar for exam dates and times for the exams offered at Burleson High School. AP Exam Calendar
- Students will have the opportunity to register and pay on 3 days; February 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.
- Please refer to the AP registration form for fee information. AP Exam Registration Form
AP EXAM PREP
- Some teachers at BHS may offer mock examinations or review sessions. Students should speak with their AP teacher(s) for dates and times.
ADVANCEMENT VIA INDIVIDUAL DETERMINATION (AVID)
ACT, SAT, & TSI
SAT & ACT
- Juniors are strongly encouraged to take the ACT and SAT for the first time in the spring of their junior year. The Redesigned SAT begins with the March administration. We encourage juniors to take the March, May, or June administration for SAT. We encourage juniors to take the April or June ACT administration.
- Seniors are encouraged to check with their college of choice to see if they need to take the TSI. The TSI may also be needed for students wishing to take dual credit courses.
- SAT--Students can download the Daily Practice for the New SAT app and practice from their smartphone. They can even scan in practice tests and receive instant results. Khan Academy is a test prep resource for the PSAT, SAT, and/or Redesigned SAT. Sign up on Khan Academy at www.khanacademy.org and start personalizing a test prep program today!
Career Cruising is a career exploration and planning tool used to explore career and college options and develop a career plan. Career Cruising can be accessed from school, from home, or wherever students have access to the Internet. Features of the program include:
- Assessment - world-renowned assessment tools to help students identify their career interests, skills, abilities, and learning styles
- Career Profiles - thorough and up-to-date information about hundreds of different occupations, including direct links between careers and related college programs
- Multimedia Interviews - interviews with real people in each occupation, which add depth and realism to career profiles
- College and Financial Aid Information - comprehensive college and financial aid information, with a number of useful search tools to help students find the right college and the right scholarships (all scholarships are posted and viewed through Career Cruising)
- Employment Guide - advice for all stages of the job search process, including developing a job search plan, networking, writing resumes and cover letters, preparing for interviews, and adjusting to a new job
- My Plan - an online portfolio where students can develop and reflect on their academic, personal, and career exploration activities, and make plans for the future
- Resume Builder - integrated with the My Plan tool to help students create, format, and print professional-looking resumes quickly and easily
Students may visit www.careercruising.com to log in today. Student accounts are already created. Their username is their BISD username with BISD- in front and their password is their BISD password.
All students in 9th-12th grades are invited to visit with the GO Center mentors for college and career related assistance.
GO Center Hours