Organic Food- Is It Worth Buying?
by Stephanie Robles, Magdalene Ho, & Samantha DeGeorge
Organic food is food that is grown and doesn't use harmful, synthetic pesticides
Pesticide- a substance used for destroying insects or other organisms harmful to cultivated plants or to animals
Effects on the Environment
Organic farming impacts the food chain in humans
If cows consume organic grass then the cows will have the organic grass inside them
The cows would be eaten by humans, and the cows would be organic
- Organic food & farming also has an impact on the soil and the way it is used to grow crops
Controversy about pesticide chemcials...
- Studies say that if organic crops are sprayed then they do not deserve the label "organic"
- Pesticide sprays are toxic when sprayed on crops, causing danger to people and animals that eat the plant and the living things around it
Why people think that it IS worth buying
Does not harm as much soil because of natural farming methods (that have been used since forever)
Natural and won’t lead to any health concerns
Pesticides used can cause cancer and asthma
After WWII pesticides started being used- relatively new still (who knows what the long term effects are)
Can cause harm to young children in organs because they are still developing
Why people think it is NOT worth buying
- Is too expensive
- Takes longer to produce because of the lack of pesticides protecting the crops from pests, etc.
- Organic foods use natural pesticides, but they are not as effective as synthetic pesticides that non organic food uses
- People don’t think there is much of a difference between organic food and non organic food and therefore don't buy it
USDA certificate. Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Nov. 2015.
Organic Farming Sign. Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Nov. 2015.
Crop Field. Digital image. Global Organic Network. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Nov. 2015.
Valenzuela, Hector. "Organic Food." N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Nov. 2015.
Davidson, Helen M. "Organic Food." N.p., 2011. Web. 16 Nov. 2015.
Knapp, Alex. "Organic Food Is Expensive, Bad for the Environment, and Potentially Deadly." Food Safety. Ed. Stuart A. Kallen. San Diego: Greenhaven Press, 2005. At Issue. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 13 Nov. 2015
Davidson, Helen M., and Megan Porter. "Organic food." The Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine. Ed. Jacqueline L. Longe. 5th ed. Farmington Hills, MI: Gale, 2015. Science in Context. Web. 6 Nov. 2015.