6th Grade News, February 2016
Junior High Info
February is all about registration, registration, registration! Guidance activities include:
Registration Practice, a walk-through for junior high registration, preparing students for the real deal
Visit with Junior High Counselors, Q & A about junior high with junior high counselors
Scroll down for important Junior High Dates!!
Pasta for Pennies
February 1-19Current Peer Mediators will work with Student Council officers to collect change for the Pennies for Pasta fundraiser, aiding the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
Kindness Counts Contest at MST
Each grade student can earn pink flowers for their grade level pot for individual kind deeds. Each grade can earn a red flower for kind deeds done as a class. The grade level with the most kind deeds will earn a special treat for their Valentines Day parties on Friday.
Student Visit with Junior High Counselors
Junior High Counselors will visit with 6th grade students at MST about junior high classes and registration. Students will bring home envelopes containing their Mapping Your Future book (Jr. High course descriptions), PreAP information, LOTE information, and their registration cards, among other things. Read through this information with your child to make the most informed decisions regarding junior high classes. Their official junior high registration cards, signed by you, are due to their MST counselor Thursday, February 18th.
5:30 p.m. Berkner High School Auditorium
Safe, Smart, & Social: Teaching Students How to Shine Online, presented by Josh Ochs
- Examples of good and bad posts colleges may find.
- Examples from real seniors that are using social media correctly.
- Tips you can suggest you se Google search like a college and future employer.
- 7 Networks your kids need to be on to shine online.
- What apps are unsafe (and others you should encourage your kids to use).
- What apps are a waste of time for your Teens and Tweens.
- How to analyze your Google results to see what colleges will find.
- How to bury bad Google results from other uses with your similar name.
Junior High Course Registration cards
Students who qualified for GT services received a yellow Permission to Serve form from the Office of Advanced Academic Studies office. Return these forms to your MST counselor along with your Junior High Course registration card.