Important Upcoming Dates-
- Award-winning artist and illustrator John Parra will be visiting with all of the Harper students: November 19th
- 1st and 2nd Grade Enrichment: November 21st
- PASS39 Parent Education: Tuesday, November 19th. All Parents Welcome! Topic: Positive Behavior Management Strategies (9:15-10:15 AM at McKenzie School)
December 6th: Save The Date, Harper Movie Night of The Grinch, hosted by the PTO. Drop your child at school on Friday, December 6, at 6 pm. Support the school and take a little time to holiday shop. Registration below
Hello Harper Parents/Guardians,
Community: It is not every day that you walk away from work overwhelmed with incredible joy. For many of us, including myself, that day was yesterday! After school, I had the privilege of being apart of the “Community Gift Presentation” for Conrad and it was a memorable event. He is one of our crossing guards and a former paraprofessional at Harper. He is such a kind and caring man who loves his crossing guard job and interacting with students and families (even pets) each day. A few weeks ago, the community rallied to his aid by raising money to buy him a new car, after his car was totaled in an accident. Yesterday, in front of the school, students, parents, staff, and community members were able to honor Conrad and present him with his new car. It was one of the most heartfelt moments I have experienced and one that many of us will never forget. And it truly shows how amazing and kind the Wilmette community is!
We talk a lot about what it means to be a strong community and this event showcases what can happen when a community comes together. I am blown away by all of your generosity and support for Conrad. And to culminate it all, watching the students chant, “We love Conrad” will forever be ingrained in my memory. To the Harper Community and all those that donated - THANK YOU!
Cold Weather: Since winter has come early, it is time for some reminders to help you prepare appropriately. We try to have outdoor recess each day. For students to play in the snow, they must have jackets, boots, snow pants, hats, and gloves. We go outside unless the windchill temperature is under 5°F. In the mornings, students continue to wait outside unless the windchill temperature is under 10°F. Supervision in the morning does not start until 8:20am so try not to drop your child off early. Also, please drive safely around Harper including staying off your cell phone and driving slowly while in front of the school. Students’ safety is all of our responsibilities.
Have a great weekend,
PARENT PLANNING NOTES:
NEW - HARPER IS ON INSTAGRAM: One way to increase your connection to the school is through social media. This is a great way to see pictures, get updates, and understand more about the Harper school community. Follow us on instagram with our username of HarperDolphins. We also continue to use twitter so please consider following us there @HarperDolphins. Thank you for your support and Go Dolphins!
- NEW - KEEP39 at Harper is confirmed for the 2020-21 School Year: During the October Board of Education Meeting, we officially announced our new program, the Kindergarten Enrichment and Enhancement Program of District 39 or “KEEP39.” KEEP39 will launch at Harper during the next school year (2020-21) for Harper students. Additional information to follow regarding specifics and registration but registration will be in January. We are very excited about this additional program and looking forward to the enrichment we will be providing our kindergarteners next school year! Please spread the word about KEEP39 and registration taking place in January.
- The Wilmette Board of Education will meet on Monday, Nov. 18, 2019. Below are a few topics that may be of interest to the community:
- Highcrest Student Advisory Board Leads Pledge of Allegiance
- Presentation of the Fiscal Year 2019 Financial Audit and 2019 Levy
- Review of Draft 2019-20 School Fees
- Presentation of New Trier Township Eighth Grade Survey Report
Harper PTO Movie Night presents: The Grinch (PG)
Get your tickets while they last! Friday, December 6th – 6:00pm-8:00pm
All Harper Students (K-4) are invited to watch this funny, heartwarming and visually stunning, family-friendly movie. Pajamas welcome and encouraged!
Little Ceasar’s Cheese/Pepperoni Pizza and Water will be served in the cafeteria. FOOD INFORMATION.
Sign up today as movie nights sell out quickly. Click here TO PURCHASE TICKETS.
Cost: $20 for the first child, $10 for the second, and $5 for the third.
Parents who volunteer at Movie Night can bring one child for FREE! To volunteer please CLICK HERE.
Space is limited to the first 100 kids. NO WALK-INS. All children must be registered in advance.
All Children must be walked into Harper for check-in and picked up by an adult for check out. Sorry, NO DROP OFFS!
- On November 19th, award-winning artist and illustrator John Parra will be visiting with all of the Harper students. His works include Frida Kahlo and Her Anamalitos, and One is a Piñata: A Book of Numbers. This exciting opportunity is provided by iGNITE!
- Enrichment: On November 21 (Beien & Peterson) and November 22 (Fowler & Lancaster/Moore) 2nd-grade classes will be busing to The Grove in Glenview to take part in hands-on activities in a replica of a Native American longhouse. Buses depart Harper at 9am and return to Harper at 12:30pm. Please remember to pack a sack lunch to be eaten at The Grove. Thank you to Ignite for making this enrichment opportunity possible.
- Enrichment-Thursday, November 21st, the first graders will be clicking their heels and following the yellow brick road to Regina Dominican High School for their Fall 2019 production of The Wizard of Oz! Buses will depart Harper at 9AM and return for Harper at noon. Please pack a lunch for your child on November 21st. The kids will eat upon returning to Harper.
- Yearbook- Please send a baby photo of your FORTH grader to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in the fourth-grade section of the Yearbook. The deadline is getting close and we have not quite 50% of the Class of 2020 represented. If you are not sure if you've done so, please email the same address to get confirmation. To purchase your yearbook, go to http://jostensyearbooks.com/?REF=A09862418 Not sure if you've purchased one yet? Email email@example.com
- Griffin's Tale Children's Repertory Theatre Company will be visiting and performing at Harper School on April 17, 2020! The company consists of 25 Northwestern undergrads who take stories written by local school children and turn them into songs, dances, scenes, raps, and games! If your child is interested, K-4 students are being asked to write one story (short, long, wordy, picture-filled, serious, casual, etc...) to be used by the company when they perform here at Harper in the Spring. Have your child write their story at home and then complete the Student Story Identification Form. Please have your child return their story and form to their teacher no later than Thursday, November 21, 2019 (note: the submitted copy will not be returned).
- Amazon Smile- This holiday gift-giving season, please consider shopping on smile.amazon.com and choose Harper PTO for your charity. 0.5% of your total order will benefit Harper School. #twicethegiving
Donate now to iGNITE! and help your children have a fun-filled year of enrichment opportunities! The suggested donation of $125.00 per child (tax-deductible) enables iGNITE the opportunity to bring in speakers, scientists, and programs along with taking children on field trips. In addition, this pays for our amazing crossing guards that keep your kids safe and secure! We ask that you donate early so we can begin these programs at the beginning of the year! Thank you so much to those of you who have already donated to iGNITE! We are currently at 60% (250 students) participation. If you have not donated, it is not too late. There are 2 ways to donate:
1. Click on link: http://harperpto.com/ignite-donation/
2. Drop off a check in the iGNITE! Folder in the Harper Lobby. Please make the check payable to Harper PTO and include your child's name on the check.
If you have any questions or can’t remember if you made a donation, please reach out to Jill Huebsch. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rotary Club of Wilmette is hosting its annual BIG BOOK DRIVE October 1st - November 16th at all D39 schools. Please donate your gently used books.
- Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
- Sunday Youth Basketball for boys & girls grades 1-3. Teams created by schools. Contact Sara Hilby for more information at email@example.com
- Poms Technique for ages 6-10, November 11 - December 2.
- Gingerbread Houses Workshops for ages 3 + up December 7-11.
- Centennial Ice rink hosts Super Sunday for new skaters ages 4-13.
- Wilmette Children’s Theatre presents elf The Musical JR. November 8-10.
- Center Fitness Club wants you to join the YETI Challenge November 18 - December 31.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Kelly Maggio via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org