Health & Wellness
The SPS Wellness Plan promotes Healthy People 2020's goals
Best Possible Heath
- One of Healthy People 2020's goals is to "promote the best possible health in order to end preventable death, illness, injury, and disability."
- SPS encourages this by putting fat limits, sugar limits, calorie limits, and sodium limits on all foods served in schools.
Eliminate Health Disparities
- Healthy People 2020 expresses the desire to "eliminate health disparities."
- SPS promotes this by providing health education to all students regardless of grade level.
A Way of Life
- Another goal of Healthy People 2020 is to "make wellness a way of life and enhance quality of life for individuals and communities."
- SPS contributes to this by encouraging district staff members to work with local groups to allow students the opportunity to do nutrition-related volunteer work.
- The final goal of Healthy People 2020 is to "promote healthy places and environments."
- SPS furthers this goal by making sure that cafeterias remain neat, clean, healthy, and friendly.