The Sequiota Scoop
Monthly School Newsletter - May 2021
A Note from Mrs. Wagner
We are officially in the home stretch, with only 4 weeks left in the school year!
We kick-off this month with Teacher & Staff Appreciation Week. This week we will honor ALL of our staff with food, gifts, etc. If you'd like to honor a teacher or staff member, the simplest way is with a note of gratitude. If you'd prefer to purchase a gift, feel free to check out the staff favorites list for ideas. Please don't forget our amazing specials teachers and support staff!
MAP testing updates:
- 3rd & 4th grades have completed all their official MAP testing dates, but a handful of students in both grade levels need to complete makeup tests due to absences.
- 5th grade will complete Science this week and wrap up any make-up tests needed.
- Virtual 4th & 5th grade students have one more day of testing scheduled this week.
- All students K-5 will begin completing their end-of-the-year iReady testing in the next few weeks. Please keep an eye out for specific dates on our teacher's weekly newsletters so you can ensure your child is in attendance and prepared for testing.
Please scroll through the rest of this newsletter for updates about Field Day, Conscious Discipline learning, end-of-the-year upcoming dates, Explore Summer Program, and our PTA's May Newsletter!
Field Day Volunteer Opportunities
Our PTA has created a sign-up list for volunteers:
- We NEED 3rd-5th Grade parent Volunteers still!
If you do sign-up to volunteer you MUST complete our background check and volunteer application with SPS. Below are the steps of how to complete this, but please don't hesitate to call Miss Sara in the office for help with this.
Parent Volunteers must follow the updated SPS volunteer guidelines found here.
All Volunteers must adhere to the following requests:
Volunteers need to be masked at all times (except when taking a drink of water)
Volunteers need to be screened upon arrival.
Will not be permitted into the building.
There are a few volunteers currently on the list that DO NOT have a completed background check/volunteer application. I will be reaching out to you this week to ensure you complete this or else you won't be permitted to volunteer.
Our focus for this skill with students is the Power of Intention.
- One phrase we may use with students is: "You may ___________ or ______________, if you _____________ again, you will __________. Tell me what will happen if you _____________ again."
- Example: "You may ask them to move or wait your turn, if you push again, you will move to the end of the line. Tell me what will happen if you push again."
Really our intention should shift from “making children behave” to “helping children be successful.”
For a deeper dive into Consequences and the Power of Intention check out this website: https://consciousdiscipline.com/seven-powers-power-of-intention/
- May 3rd-7th: MAP Testing - 5th grade Science
Teacher Appreciation Week - May 3rd-7th:
- Help us celebrate our amazing teachers: Check out our Staff Favorites list here.
- Don't forget about our amazing specials and support staff.
- Boosterthon Fun Run Kick-off! - Create your child's account and begin sharing!
- PTA Board Meeting 5:30 pm/General Meeting 6:00 pm
- Boosterthon Fun Run (During the school day)
- Field Day
- 6:00-6:30 pm - Mrs. Call's 5th Grade Class Promotion
- 7:00-7:30 pm - Mr. James' 5th Grade Class Promotion
- Last Day of School! Two hour - Early release at 1:45 pm
To register for Explore visit: https://explorereg.sps.org/
- Session 1: June 7-30
- Session 2: July 7-30
- Sequiota Students will attend the Field Elementary site.
- Seated elementary hours are 8:50 a.m. - 3:20 p.m.
- June and July sessions: Elementary students can choose virtual or seated classes.
- No determination has been made on how many days a week in-person classes will meet due to COVID-19. That decision may not be made until May 2021.
- For eligible students to receive bus transportation on the first day of seated classes, you must register by April 15 for Session 1 and by May 15 for Session 2.
- Breakfast and lunch will be offered daily at each Explore site. During the June session, all students at every site will be able to eat free. Federal funding regulations change July 1, so during the July session students who attend the following schools will be charged for meals based on their eligibility for free, reduced or full-price meals during the regular school year: Field, Gray, Harrison, Pershing K-8, and Truman. You may complete a Free/Reduced Meal application at sps.org/meals.
We’re there! Our SEQUIOTA BOOSTERTHON FUN RUN fundraiser kicked off May 3rd!
Our goal is to raise $8,500 for Current and Future School Improvements and Student Programs (field trips, parties, school supplies, and other needs).
The run will be on May 14th during the school day! If we reach our $8,500 goal all classes will earn a popsicle party!
Here are 3 things we can do to help support our school through this fundraiser:
1. Register on funrun.com tonight. It’s very easy
2. Share about our fundraiser with family and friends using the SHARE BUTTON on
3. Give a donation if you are able to; though all students will fully participate regardless of financial participation.
There’s also this very cool video called the Student Star Video that you can create for your student on the funrun.com website. You’ll have to see for yourself, but you upload a photo of your child and they become part of the video - your friends and family will think it’s pretty cool, too
• Every share and donation makes a difference! And, don’t forget…Students can receive rewards when parents share from funrun.com
• All students get to participate in the Event day, regardless of financial participation
• This fundraiser comes with an incredible character development program for students where they’ll be learning about the importance of teamwork, care, courage, grit and celebration
AND we have added something very exciting - When you share your donation page with possible donors, a chance to win A Grand Prize Trip to Disney! 🎉
You can earn sweepstakes entries by logging on, uploading a photo for the student star video, texting, and emailing out your page! There will be one winner drawn from all of Booster's Participating Schools across the month of May.
SPRINGFIELD PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Download the SPS App on your phone for instant updates, access to eSchool, meal pay, Canvas and more!