MERMS Weekly Newsletter: 12.14.15
December 14, 2015
Please Join Us: Hour Of Code - Wednesday, 12/16 from 4-6pm @ MERMS
Code.org was founded in 2013 with the mission to provide access to computer science coding and programming to students of all background. The Hour of Code was created as a worldwide event to encourage all students across the world to engage in just one hour of code - to help inspire and spread access to computer science programming.
MERMS will participate in this event - and we ask for you to join us!
MERMS' Hour of Code will take place this Wednesday, 12/16/15 from 4-6pm. All are welcome! We invite students, parents/guardians, siblings, friends, community members, and more! It is an open house for all to attend and free of charge. Please bring your device; we will also have devices on hand for use if you do not have one. If you can only come for part of the time, that is ok!
Please RSVP to attend the #HourOfCode here: MERMS 2015 Hour of Code RSVP
Christmas in the City: Donations and Volunteers This Week
As you know, students at MERMS pledged to adopt 46 homeless kids in Boston this holiday season - who would otherwise have no holiday celebration. For each homeless child adopted, MERMS students need to raise $50 to purchase a gift from the child's wishlist.
We are looking for help, donations and volunteers in the following areas this week:
- Deadline for Christmas in the City donations is Wednesday, 12/16. Students should bring donations to their H Block advisor.
- We will have a brief H Block on Monday, 12/14 for students to check in with their group.
- We are looking for students and adults to help with shopping for wish list items on Thursday, 12/17 from 5:30-7:00pm at Target in Danvers, MA (at Liberty Tree Mall).
- We will also need help with parents/guardians volunteering to drop off and pick up students at Target in Danvers on Thursday, 12/17 (drop off students at 5:30pm, pick up at 7:00pm).
- There will be a wrapping party after school on Friday, 12/18 from 2:30-3:30pm at MERMS. All are welcome.
- We are looking for help driving wrapped gifts on Friday afternoon, 12/18 to the Seaport Hotel in Boston.
- We are looking for financial donations to purchase gifts and wrapping supplies. Any additional funds will be donated directly to Christmas in the City.
If you are able to help with any of these items, please do! Simply RSVP here:
8th Grade Field Trip: North Shore Music Theatre 12/16
On Wednesday, 12/16/15, the 8th grade will visit North Shore Music Theatre to view Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. The cost is $30, which includes transportation and a ticket. Afterwards, we will stop at the rest area on 128N for lunch. Students may buy a lunch there, or bring a bag lunch on the bus in the morning. Students may arrive at the regular time, and will return before the end of the school day, in time for the regular after school buses home.
All students must fill out a permission slip (located here and also distributed in class) by Thursday, 12/10/15. Checks should be made out to MERMS. If the cost presents a hardship, please confidentially contact Mr. Guditus at firstname.lastname@example.org or 978-526-2022 x1104 for partial or full financial assistance. If you have any questions about this field trip, please contact Mrs. Plante at email@example.com.
Green Card Prizes
In the past, students have earned milkshakes from Richdales, ice cream from Captain Dusty's, Dunkin' Donuts giftcards, Surfari gift cards, and iTunes gift certificates. We are looking for donations in the form of prizes or gift cards in small values ($5, $10 or $15) as prizes for our monthly drawing.
If you are able to make a green card prize donation, please drop it off with Mrs. Hunt in the main office, labeled with "Green Card Prizes." Thank you for your consideration!
Wednesday, 12/23/15: Early Release at 11:00am
Ugly Sweater Contest: Wednesday, 12/23/15! Please participate!
Thank You For Wish List Items
It's not too late - you can still donate to the PMEMS Teacher Wish List by going to: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/9040f49a8a72baa8-classroom
News from the Health Room
This is the time of year when illness starts to pop up in the school. GI illness, allergies and the common cold have been seen the last few months. More recently, pneumonia has been reported. If you notice that your child has a continued cough, fever and respiratory illness, please call your child’s physician. It is important to contact health services if your child is diagnosed with an illness requiring antibiotics or has been diagnosed with the flu.
Knowing what illness is in the school may help with early detection of others. If your child has a fever of 100 or higher they must be fever free for 24 hours before they return to school.
Cyndi Aldrich, RN, BSN, M.Ed. HNB-BC
Manchester Essex Middle/High School
Board Certified, Holistic Nurse
High School Application: New Process
The first step in this process is to fill out the following online form:
MERMS High School Application Process - this is also available on our school website.
Once you fill this out (once per school application), please supply all application materials directly to Mr. O'Maley in the main office - this includes recommendation requests, transcript requests, self-addressed stamped envelopes, releases for information, required postage, and any other application specific information.
If you have any questions, please contact Mr. O'Maley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please register: 8th Grade Trip to Washington, DC
The 8th Grade will visit Washington, DC as a class trip this May, 2016. Please register as soon as possible! Go directly to our Washington, DC Trip Page for more information:
http://www.merms.mersd.org/Pages/MERMS_Washington/index - this page includes information including:
- Parent/Guardian Info Presentation from October 21
- Individual Fundraising Ideas
- Financial Assistance Application
- Link to registration
If you have any questions about the trip, please contact the Trip Coordinator, Mr. Thomas, at email@example.com.
Clubs and Activities
- Student Council: Mondays with Mrs. Schaub and Mrs. Petrie (A319)
- Mountain Biking Club: Mondays with Mr. Ricci-Munn (Gym)
- Homework Club: Mondays with Mrs. Kavanagh (A304) and Tuesdays with Mrs. Plante (A309)
- Bradford Ski and Board Club: Mondays with Mr. Magers: SIGN UP HERE - associated fee
- Bug Club: Tuesdays with Dr. McGravey (A319): SIGN UP HERE - associated fee
- Card-Marking Club: Thursdays with Mrs. Vosseler (A308): SIGN UP HERE - associated fee
- Gay-Straight Alliance: Thursdays with Dr. McGravey (B139)
- Computer Coding Club: Fridays with Ms. Arthur (A117): SIGN UP HERE - associated fee
- Journalism: Fridays with Mrs. Plante and Mr. Stefanek (A309)
- STEM Club: Fridays with Mr. Pennoyer (A231)
Manchester-Essex Apparel Sale
Check out our Manchester-Essex School Spirit Store. A percentage of the cost is donated back to our PTO, Parents of Manchester-Essex Middle School (PMEMS). Items ship directly to your home with a flat $8 shipping rate. To order, you can go directly to:
MERMS Day Calendar
Pictures from MERMS This Week
A big thank you to Mrs. Krause for organizing the MERMHS Book Fair!
Mrs. Petrie works with students on identifying prehistoric eras.
7th graders wrote about this practice prompt on Wednesday. Ask your child about it!
Websites of Interest
- 5 Minute Film Festival: Building Your Parent Toolkit with resource videos via Edutopia
- Helping Kids See The Good Side of Being Wrong
- Why Aerobically Fit Students Have Better Math Skills via Psychology Today
- Role of Parents/Guardians in 21st Century Learning via EdTechReview
- Cracking The Code (code.org) via CBS
8th Grade Field Trip to North Shore Music Theater
Wednesday, Dec. 16th, 8am-2pm
62 Dunham Road
Wednesday, Dec. 9th, 11:30am
36 Lincoln Street
MERMS Hour of Code - Open House for All!
Wednesday, Dec. 16th, 4-6pm
36 Lincoln Street
Light snacks will be served.
For more information: http://code.org.