AIS Friday Flash
Friday, May 22, 2020
Head of School eCommuniqué
Please watch the Head of School communique video for school updates.
Distance Learning Highlights
- In Spanish, our CP students drew meaningful moments they have had with their families during the quarantine.
In Middle School, our 6ème and 5ème students built paper toys and our 6ème participated in an AEFE project. They worked on a Seamless project between French and Science, making observations of a bird in their garden, doing some scientific research, and then writing a fable about it.
Our 7th graders also built kits with recycled materials and examined if, how, and why they flew.
Ms. Emily, Ms. Noémie, and Ms. Sarah safely delivered surprise graduation yard signs to celebrate our CM2 students who are excitedly venturing from Elementary to Middle School in advance of next week's celebration.
Memorial Day/No School - Mon., 5/25
We will not have school in observance of the Memorial Day holiday on Monday, May 25th.
Belonging Pickup - 5/26 thru 5/27
We will be facilitating drive through pickups of student belongings on Tuesday, May 26th, and Wednesday, May 27th per the following alphabetical schedule. Families should enter through Coronet and drive through the drop-off lanes under the portico. Families will not be permitted to exit their vehicles or go inside the school or campus. Staff members will greet you to put student belongings in your trunks or backseats as needed.
- Families with the last name beginning with A - F: Tuesday, 5/26 from 9 am - 12 pm
- Families with the last name beginning with G - M: Tuesday, 5/26 from 1 pm - 3:30 pm
- Families with the last name beginning with N - Z: Wednesday, 5/27 from 9 am - 12 pm
New Family (virtual) Welcome Coffee - Wed., 5/27 10:30 - 11:30 am
We will welcome registered incoming families to our community over a virtual coffee on Wednesday, May 27th from 10:30 - 11:30 am. Families, current student(s), or alumni are invited to join us with this meeting invite.
CM2 Promotion - Fri., 5/29 4:00 pm
We will be holding a virtual CM2 Promotion Ceremony at 4 pm on Friday, May 29th to congratulate and recognize our CM2 students on their completion of Elementary School. We are so proud of them! You may join in the celebration with the zoom link here.
4è Graduation - Mon., 6/1 4:00 pm
We are thrilled to celebrate the first-ever graduating 8th-grade class at Austin International School! Our virtual 4è Graduation ceremony will be held on Monday, June 1st at 4:00 pm. We are so proud of our students! Join us in celebrating their accomplishments with the zoom link here.
Report Cards Disseminated - Mon., 6/1
Student report cards will be sent out on Monday, June 1st.
Parent-Teacher Organization Meeting - Tue. 6/2, 5:30 - 6:30 pm
The last PTO meeting of the school year will be held virtually on Tuesday, June 2nd at 5:30 pm with this link. Review the AIS Community Facebook page for a list of executive committee positions and responsibilities.
If you participate in the Pizza Friday program, the PTO also requests your response (one per household) about what to do with the unused portion of the Pizza Friday subscriptions by clicking this quick 3 question form here. Thank you for replying before the end of school or the PTO will accept unused Pizza funds as a donation.
Last Day of School (1/2 Day)/Community Celebration-Thur., 6/4
The last day of school is fast approaching. June 4th will be a half-day of virtual school ending at 11:30 am. We are excited to announce we will have a drive-by car parade beginning at 2:00 pm that day. Faculty and staff will be safely lined up on the surrounding streets and along the drive-thru route to wave and cheer our students and families for a fantastic, albeit strange end, of our 2019-2020 school year. Be on the lookout for more details to follow.
Student Mascot Design Contest
We are excited to share that the Student Council will be heading up an initiative to organize a team mascot contest drawing for the next school year. The contest will start on Thursday, June 4th, and last throughout the summer. You can use your summer to be inventive and artistic. Students from GS to 4è and staff members are encouraged/invited to submit their drawings for our school mascot. Here are the guidelines:
Draw the owl as you can imagine it.
Write the school slogan “Let’s go Owls!” and the name of the mascot “Owlvin”.
Post your drawing on this padlet in the column of your grade.
The winner will have his/her drawing chosen to be the AIS official team mascot and it will be given to a designer as a model. So, grab your markers (no colored pencils), as it’s time to show your creativity to the whole AIS community. Thank you for your participation! Let’s go Owls!
AIS Summer Camps....YES!
Thank you for taking our summer camp interest survey. Based on our community survey responses as well as comprehensive guidance from the Governor’s Office for summer programs that may operate from May 31st, we are moving forward with a couple of AIS Summer Camp offerings.
We will be offering some online and one in-person camp as outlined below for 5 weeks from June 15th through July 17th. Space is limited in order to conduct safe and effective learning and fun in both our virtual and in-person camps. Registration will open Tuesday, 5/26 at 11:00 am (via a link within a Ren Web email) and remain open until June 5th (or they fill). You may sign up for one week or all 5. Make sure to check out the bundle options.
Option 1) Franco Fun! (French Oral Language/Conversational French)
- A. For grades CE1 – CM2 daily @ 9 – 10 am
- B. For grades MS – CP daily @ 10 – 11 am
Online French Franco Fun Camps: $90/week (minimum 4 - maximum 6 each)
Option 2) Online Mini STEAM
- C. For grades CE1 – CM2 daily @ 10 – 11 am (min 6 - max 10)
- D. For grades MS – CP daily @ 2 – 3 pm (min 8 - max 12)
Online Mini STEAM: $85 plus $20 supply fee/week
S.T.E.A.M. Adventure Camp for grades MS – CE1 11:30 am – 1:30 pm (min 6 - max 8).
Join us in exploring S.T.E.A.M: Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math! Come experiment how science can seem like magic; how to discover, build, and invent; get the artistic energies flowing, and learn new skills like coding, stop animation, and much, much more!
STEAM Adventure Camp: $105 plus $20 supply fee/week OR sign up by the day (once a week for 5 weeks) based on the theme: Math Mondays, Tech Tuesdays, Engineering Wednesdays, Art Thursdays, Science Fridays/class celebrations, ex: every (just) Monday for 5 weeks
Save when you bundle the following:
Online Franco Fun! + Online Mini STEAM: $160 plus $20 supply fee/wk
Online Franco Fun! + In-Person STEAM Adventure Camp: $180 plus $20 supply fee/wk
For our in-person camp, AIS will ensure our staff and community members follow our strict COVID safety guidelines including the following. A complete list of procedures will be shared with the registration link on Tuesday.
- There will not be any pre-camp or after-camp care. Parents will drop off and pickup campers outside the building and will not be permitted to enter the school building.
- Families will be asked to answer health screening questions and student temperatures will be taken upon arrival. A record of health screening questions and temperatures will be kept for at least 21 days to support internal contact tracing practices.
- Students will be washing hands thoroughly for 20 seconds several times per day. Please ensure that you have discussed and practiced proper handwashing techniques with your children.
- Students (when possible based on age) and staff will wear face masks
- Students will remain in one classroom by the group and will be separated by appropriate physical distance.
- Staff and students will only be permitted to work in fully sanitized areas. All areas must be fully sanitized before the room may be reused. Where possible, a period of 48 hours between room use will be observed.
Save the dates
All school functions and events originally scheduled through the school closure have been canceled. Some events may be reconfigured to virtual. We will keep you updated here.
- May 20 - Virtual Open House
- May 25 - No School/Memorial Day
- May 26 - 27 Belonging Pickup (by invitation/timeslot)
- May 27 - New Parent Virtual Coffee
- May 29 - 4è Graduation e-Celebration
- June 1 - Report Cards Sent
- June 2 - Virtual PTO Meeting
- June 1 - Elementary Achievement e-Celebration
- June 4 - Last 1/2 Day of School/Car Parade