December 16, 2022
"Paws" for news from the principal:
Greetings, Cowern Community,
As we steadily move toward our Winter Break, here are some things to know.
Trimester 1 report cards will be in your student’s backpack today.
Class composite pictures from Lifetouch are coming in backpacks today.
Next week is Winter Spirit Week here at Cowern. See below for more information.
Watch for information coming soon about E-learning days for our elementary students. E-learning days are where Cowern can offer instruction from the teacher on days the school is closed due to inclement weather. Yesterday reminded us that Minnesota winters can bring inclement weather!
Winter Break begins on Friday, December 23rd. Classes resume on Tuesday, January 3rd.
We hope everyone has a safe and happy break from school. We look forward to seeing all our students back in January.
Thank you for all you do to help us continue to build our Cowern Community.
Cowern Elementary Principal
Give Kids a Smile
Participating dental clinics are now taking appointments for “Give Kids A Smile,” a once-a-year opportunity for children in need. Give Kids A Smile is for any child whose family faces financial or other challenges accessing dental care. No eligibility questions are asked, in an effort to remove any possible barriers to dental care. Here is more information:
All patients must have appointments in advance and be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. After January 1, parents may call United Way 211 (just dial 2-1-1) or 1-800-543-7709. Operators will have a list of participating dental offices and will be able to direct people to a location in their area. Parents will then call the dental office to schedule an appointment. An online list is available at www.mndental.org. Note that walk-in appointments are not available.
Services will vary from preventive care, which includes cleanings, sealants and fluoride treatment, to restorative care, which includes fillings. Information on specific services that will be provided will be outlined when an appointment is scheduled. Typically, clinics treat children ranging in age from 3 to 18. When calling for an appointment, parents should ask about any age requirements.
Winter Weather & Recess
School Delays, Dismissals & Closings
The North St. Paul-Maplewood-Oakdale School District has established procedures regarding delays in school opening, early dismissal or emergency school closings. All delays in school opening, early dismissal of school, or emergency school closings are announced via the School District’s emergency calling system and over local radio and television stations. The emergency calling system allows the district to notify all parents by phone in the event of an emergency, such as a school closing. When the emergency calling feature is used, all phone numbers listed as contact numbers for a family will be called. Please ensure that your phone numbers are accurate. In the event of a delay in school opening or emergency school closing, local radio and television stations will be contacted as early as possible.
Is my child well enough to go to school? Click the link to learn more.
Attention: When calling in your child’s absence, please do not leave a message saying “they are sick” or “not feeling well.” Be more specific about the absence. Let us know the type of illness your child has (i.e., flu, vomiting, stomach ache, etc.). The Health Office needs to know this information to help keep our school safe and healthy.
If a phone call is not received, the absence remains unexcused. If a child has 3 unexcused absences or 10 out-of-building tardies, the school will send written notification to the family and report the situation to the appropriate county agency. The county agency will exercise progressive steps, if the unexcused absences and/or tardies continue.
December 23 - January 2 - NO SCHOOL - Winter Break
January 3 - School Resumes
January 16 - NO SCHOOL - Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
February 9 - Music Concert; 3rd and 4th grades 6PM (Students arrive at 5:30)
February 20 - NO SCHOOL - President's Day
Food In-a-Box Mobile Market at Cowern Elementary
A program of Good in the 'Hood
This program provides FREE fresh, frozen and non-perishable produce, meat, and dairy for all families at Cowern and in the North St. Paul Community.
This opportunity is FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE.
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 21ST, 2022 FROM 4-6PM
Once every third Wednesday of each month 4-6pm at Cowern Elementary.
JANURARY 18TH, 2023
FEBRURARY 15TH, 2023
MARCH - TBD
APRIL 19TH, 2023
MAY 17TH, 2023
The drive through line for the food boxes will start on Margaret street in the front of the school closest to the gym. Please use the QR code above to sign up - as soon as possible if interested (to ensure enough food is ordered) or email email@example.com
Culver's Fundraising Night!
What: Cowern Elementary Fundraising Event
Where: Culver's Location: 3202 White Bear Avenue White Bear Lake, MN 55110
When: Tuesday, January 10th, 2023 from 4-7pm
How: Grab Dinner or dessert at Culver's from 4-7pm and 10% of drive-thru, dine-in and to-go orders will go towards Cowern Elementary! If you order online, 20% of the order will be donated! It is that simple! No flyer, code, or information needs to be given in order for Cowern to receive proceeds.
Thank you for supporting our Cowern Community!
Resources For Students And Families
Below are some resources that will be helpful during this school year:
1. Weekly Food Bags through the EveryMeal - After September 23rd! Bags that are provided with foods structured around USDA MyPlate with options that also cater to different dietary needs and restrictions. Bags will be placed in student backpacks every Friday. There is no eligibility requirements! ANY student can participate. Please sign up here.
2. “Food In-A-Box Pop-Up Market at Cowern” - This is a project that will be done in collaboration with Good in the Hood, a program dedicated to “changing lives through simple acts of kindness.” Their goal is to provide fresh produce, meat, and dairy products to communities once a month to the surrounding communities. We will be setting up a drive-thru mobile market where families can pick up these items in a socially distanced manner. This opportunity is open to ANY and ALL FAMILIES and will happen every third Wednesday from 4:00-6:00 p.m. Click here to get to Food Shelf-In-A-Box link. If you would like to participate, please complete the form by clicking on one of the following links: Form in English, Form in Spanish or Form in Somali and send a copy to KThompson@isd622.org. I am also looking for volunteers to help at distribution. Time slots are open from 12:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Volunteers can come and go as they please. If you are interested in volunteering on November 23rd, contact Kyliah Thompson via email at KThompson@isd622.org or at 314-312-1097.
3. Minnesota COVID Hotlines for Immigrants and Refugees - There is now a MN COVID hotline specifically dedicated to our families that are immigrants or refugees to get help with COVID questions and one-on-one navigation support (i.e., getting appointments scheduled, finding testing sites and vaccination sites for those eligible, dealing with employers, accessing COVID rental assistance, etc.). It is available to undocumented immigrants, too. The number to call is 651-318-0989, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
4. COVID-19 Resources - The Suburban Ramsey Family Collaborative put together a massive list of resources related to housing, employment, financial support, unemployment, mental and physical health resources, and so many more for people living in Ramsey County. This is just a list to have at your disposal, but if you need help connecting to resources, please do not hesitate to reach out! Here’s the link: .
5. COVID-19 Vaccine Connector - ISD 622 put together a webpage to find out when and where vaccination sites are in the community. Please visit isd622.org/covidvaccine if you are interested in resources regarding COVID-19 vaccination availability.
7. Rent Help MN - This is a program for eligible renter s to get caught up on overdue rent and utilities or if you may not be able to pay for next month’s rent due to a COVID-19 related hardship. Here is the link.
Cowern Elementary School
The school day is from 8:50-3:20.
Adventure Connection: 651-748-6898
Attendance Line: 651-748-6800
Cowern Health Office: 651-748-6815