Beowulf Culminating Project
By Celina VIllanueva
Bridging the Gap
My dad is someone that i look up to. Its because he's a jack of all trades and i may follow in his foot steps. He graduated with a Marine Transportation degree and went on to work on a cruise ship. He started so small, as a dish washer to prep cook, and if he had stayed, he would have worked his way up to become an Executive Chef which is one of his many dreams. But instead he was pulled out and recruited to do the cruise ship's printing (that's how he learned to use computers, floppy disks, and software's). He continued to work for nearly a decade at different cruise liners, headed to places all over the globe, and even met some awesome people. And that's how my dad met my mom. She too worked on a cruise ship for some years as a front desk attendant. Onto today, my dad has pursued the printing industry and has built up a 7y/o printing business. And now he is deciding whether to chase after his passion of cooking and becoming a Executive Chef or opening his own restaurant.
- “And then a hero comes along, with the strength to carry on, and you cast your fears aside and you know you can survive, so when you feel like hope is gone, look inside you and be strong, and you'll finally see the truth, that a hero lies in you.” – Mariah Carey
- My thoughts on the intention of the lyrics is that if you push all your fears out and hold onto the brave, you can break through.
- This connects to Beowulf by him holding it together, pushing all pain and fear out, then killing the mother to the darkest pits of the ocean.
- This connects to my dad because he has strongly trudged through tough obstacles and achieved great outcomes.
Themes and Symbols
- Beowulf: His battle against Grendel's mother had killed him
- Scorch Trials: Thomas's last fight in the mountains concluded with Minho getting captured.
- Beowulf: Beowulf traveled many miles just to help defeat the terrible monster, Grendel.
- Scorch Trials: Thomas's finds out that the refuge will harvest them for the cure, so he decides to leave.
Shepard of Evil
- Beowulf: Grendel's mother
- Scorch Trials: Janson and Ava Paige