Ms. Jennings's 1st Grade Newsflash
January 31, 2016
- February 11--Friendship Party--1:00 p.m.
- February 12--Early Release
- February 15--No School
- March 24--Early Release
- March 25--No School
- March 28--April 1--Spring Break
- May 20--Last Day of School!!!!!
Mr. Hickey is here!!!!
Mr. Hickey joined our classroom family last week! The kids are very excited to have another 1st grade teacher in the classroom!
ONE SCHOOL-ONE READ!!!
UPDATE: Shiloh will NOT be going home tomorrow. :( There were many missing books and note enough for all families to have a copy. Mrs. Stout ordered more books and they will be coming in this week. The new date for Shiloh will be next Monday, February 8.
BOOK ORDERS: I sent an informational letter home on Friday about how to order books through Scholastic online. If you're interested in placing an order, you can do so until February 12. By that date, I will have the March flyers available and will send those home. Every dollar that you spend goes to earn points for free books for our classroom.
Library: Please help!!! Many students are not bringing back their library books on library day. Last week, there were 11 students who did not have their library books. Please encourage your child to put their books back in their backpacks when they are finished reading them. I've been encouraging them to keep them IN their backpacks while at school so they don't confuse them with books from our classroom library.
Friendship Party--February 11
Currently, there are 21 students in our classroom this year. If your child would like to decorate a Friendship box at home to bring in to collect Valentine's, please feel free to do so. They will need to have their box by February 11. If you are unable to create a box, that is fine I'll have bags ready for kiddos to decorate.
What's Been Going On This Week...
- Reading--We have started a new unit on using our inferring skills to make predictions before, during, and after reading. Students are really growing as readers and are becoming more and more excited to read more challenging texts. I'm very proud of them. Keep encouraging students to read at home!!!
- Phonics/Sight Words This week, we are focusing of different ways to spell long i.
Words that we will be learning to spell are: pie, tie, high, light,. As you practice writing these words, don't focus on memorizing the letters. Focus on stretching each word out, like a piece of bubble gum, and writing the sounds that they hear.
- Sight words: Fort Osage uses the Fry Sight Word Lists. You should have received your child's sight words either in the planners or in their black folders. The goal for all first graders is to know all 100 of the first 100 sight words. Many students already know their first 100 and are working on harder lists. Some students are still working on learning their first 100 sight words. Please look over the lists and especially practice the words that are highlighted in blue. I'll be rechecking their progress in a few weeks.
- Math-We have finished learning about related facts and completed our DCA. Next week, we will review a few trouble areas and re-test. Our next unit is addition and subtracting with 2-digit numbers.
- Writer's Workshop--Our next unit of writing study is non-fiction. We are working to writing non-fiction pieces on animals.
- Leader in Me--Our Habit for the next few weeks is Habit 5--Seek first to understand, then be understood.
Specials~February 1 - 5
- Monday, February 1--Library
- Tuesday, February 2--PE/MUSIC
- Wednesday, February 3--Art
- Thursday, February 4--Music/PE
- Friday, February 5--Library