Lowell Memo: Issue #5
October 3, 2014
Published by Lowell School & the Lowell PTA
PTA MEETING DATE CHANGES!!!
Wednesday, October 8 is a Football or Lowell Spirit Day! Read about Cook's Night Out & Walk to School Day to see why!
Cook's Night Out at Barone's Pizza of Glen Ellyn
Wednesday, Oct. 8th, 4-9pm
475 Pennsylvania Ave
Glen Ellyn, IL
Wednesday, October 6: Walk to School Day & Fuel Up to Play 60 Kick-Off
Walk to School Day 2014 is October 8th, rain or shine! We'll have a pep rally 9:00am at Door #1 to promote daily walking and biking to school. Bring your family and friends for this energetic start to the day and be ready to do some pushups!
Top ten reasons to walk to school every day:
- Saves money by saving gas.
- Helps reduce air pollution
- Improves safety by reducing traffic before and after school.
- Increases overall physical activity throughout the day
- Helps children become familiar with their neighborhoods
- Allows children more time to be outside
- Gives children a sense of responsibility and independence
- Provides time to socialize with parents and friends
- It preps your brain for school in the morning and helps relax you after the school day
- Walking is great exercise! (But what if it rains? We’re from Chicago; we’re tough!)
This will also kick off Lowell's participation in Fuel Up to Play 60, a physical activity and nutrition program promoted by the National Dairy Council and the NFL. We are encouraging students to sign-up with you for this program below in the student link. The Community Site, also linked below, has additional parent resources.
Thank you from PTA & Lowell Staff!
2) Run-A-Thon was another huge success! Thank you to Julie Zinkus and Charity Makela for a fantastic job organizing the Run-A-Thon! It was a great day for Lowell filled with lots of team building, encouraging and exercising!
3) Kindergarten spent a morning with the Dupage Children's Museum Learning Lab at no cost to parents thanks to PTA funds!
Lowell Run-A-Thon Reminders
Congrats to all the students and teachers for their amazing efforts at the 2nd annual Run- A –Thon. We enjoyed beautiful weather and watched every single child run their hearts out and have tons of fun. A special thank you to Mrs. Minser, Mr. Orlow and all the parent volunteers. We couldn’t have done it without you! The results of the fundraiser including total raised, individual and team prizes, will be announced by October 24th.
Your efforts in collecting pledges and supporting this event allows us to reduce our number of overall fundraisers and support our students and teachers. Thank you!!! Pledge money can be returned to your child's teacher.
Pledges are due by Friday, October 10th. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
Time for Spanish at Lowell!
Elyse Brogdon at Language Stars (1-773-935-7827) to sign up for your free class. You MUST sign up for the free class with Elyse, Your child can not just show up. The cost for a 10 week session would be $195.00. We are still in need of a parent assistant for each class. The parent assistant receives 50% off of their tuition. In return, they must attend class weekly...no Spanish necessary!
- Classes for Grades K-2 meet on Thursdays after school from 3:35 - 4:20 in Room 129 (Will be dismissed to Door #1; which is the front door on Illinois Street)
- Classes for Grades 3-5 meet on Fridays before school from 8:15 - 9:00 am in the LLC
Please let us know if you have any further questions. Gracias!
The Lowell book fair is October 13th-17th!
School Picture Retakes: November 4th
Lowell Guidelines for Success
All Lowell students have been introduced to our guidelines for success! Learn more about them by asking your child AND at Curriculum Night
The Lowell Community Takes FLIGHT
Focus on Success
Love to Learn
Honor Hard Work
- Think it Through
We thank parents, students, & staff for sharing their voice in the creation of our guidelines for success and look forward to integrating them into our Lowell culture throughout the year.
Lowell Eagles Learn: Our School Blog
Thank you for helping tell our story! Thanks to Brian C. for writing our 1st post of the year!
Join Lowell Chess Club!
The Lowell PTA is sponsoring a chess Club. The first meeting of the Lowell Chess Team is Friday October 10th. We will meet on Fridays from October 10th 2014, 3:45-4:45 PM to end of March 2014 in the LLC. The team is for students in K - 5th grade. All levels of players from beginners to advanced are encouraged to attend. Participation in periodic weekend tournaments, including the state chess tournament will be OPTIONAL (extra fees required).
Dues of $75/family will be charged and includes professional instruction led by Chess Master Jim Egerton of Chess-Now (www.chess-now.com). To sign your child up for Lowell's Chess Team, contact Josephine Horn at (630) 653-8183 or Josephine.Horn@alcatel-lucent.com
New 200 Foundation Updates
Have your shopping support Lowell!
Support the Lowell PTA through Amazon.com!!
(4% on electronics).
Bookmark this page for use anytime you need to shop at Amazon.com There are no price increases or fees for shoppers or Lowell PTA. Amazon funds the program as a fund raising opportunity for schools and organizations.