El Modena Counseling Newsletter
Don't Stop Believin'
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." (Nelson Mandela) Don't give up. Your education is key to finding your purpose and helping our world. Most of us are longing for what was and grieving all that we took for granted: learning face to face with a live teacher, lunch with friends, pep rallies, assemblies, sports, dances, clubs and just hanging with friends before and after school. It's okay if you are grieving; we have lost a lot.
There are multiple stages to grief and finding healing: denial, anger, depression, bargaining, acceptance. Where are you? How can you move to the next and get to a place of healthy acceptance? You are not alone. Your counselors are here to support you and help you process. We love you, care about you deeply and we miss seeing your faces. We will get through this together.
Love and hugs to all,
Virtual Wellness Room
5 Reasons Why Self Care Is Important For Your Health
- Self care reduces stress.
- Self care prevents people from giving up.
- Self care aids in maintaining focus and refocusing.
- Self care aids with the completion of daily tasks.
- Self care boosts personal happiness.
Virtual Wellness Room: https://www.elmodenahs.org/counseling/virtual-wellness-room
Mental Health Resources
For immediate psychiatric support call 911
Mental Health and Wellness Resources:
Coping in Hard Times - A Helpful Resource:
How teenagers can protect their mental health during COVID-19:
College Info for Seniors
- UC (University of CA) application submission 11/1 - 11/30. Apply at: https://apply.universityofcalifornia.edu/my-application/login
- UC Application Webinars hosted by UCI, 11/9-11/13. Register here: https://apply.admissions.uci.edu/register/ApplytoUCI_OCDE
- CSU (California State University) application submission 10/1 - 12/4 Apply at: https://www2.calstate.edu/apply/freshman
- CSU Application Fall Webinars hosted by CSUF, register here: http://www.fullerton.edu/or/webinar_series/index.php
- Common Application - deadlines differ. Check with each individual college. Apply at: https://www.commonapp.org/
- Community Colleges - Apply at: https://www.cccco.edu
Santiago Canyon College
In addition, we have three SCC representatives assigned specifically to El Modena to assist our students personally. Reach out to any one of them to schedule a one on one virtual meeting:
Student Services Specialist:
- Skyler Phamle: email@example.com
Financial Aid - Have you filed your FAFSA?
Need help? There are many Cash for College workshops to help through the process of submitting your FAFSA. Our sister community college, SCC, offers many to our community regardless of where you plan to attend:
Other financial aid resources:
- FAFSA help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8nfk5ApcQ4
- Grants & Scholarships - the best kind of financial aid because it does not have to be paid back! How do you get them? https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/pay-for-college/grants-scholarships
- The cost of college can sometimes be confusing, but just know that the sticker price isn't always what you have to pay! Read up on how to understand the cost of college here: https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/pay-for-college/college-costs
Check our El Modena website frequently for scholarships being offered in our local area. These are the ones you don't want to miss as the pool of applicants is much smaller than scholarships you find online. https://www.elmodenahs.org/counseling/scholarship-information
More helpful tips on obtaining scholarships: https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/pay-for-college/grants-and-scholarships/scholarships-start-here
Scholarships open now:
- Elks Most Valuable Student Scholarship - Deadline: November 15, 2020 - Apply here: https://www.elks.org/scholars/scholarships/mvs.cfm
If you need assistance with ordering your transcript, please contact our registrar, Mrs. Gresham, firstname.lastname@example.org
In addition, if you qualify for free and reduced lunch, you also qualify for a Parchment fee waiver. Please contact Mrs. Gresham to utilize your fee waiver BEFORE you order a transcript.
Class of 2021 Cap, Gown & Grad Announcements Info
Here is our El Modena specific link to all Jostens info: https://www.jostens.com/apps/store/customer/1005875/El-Modena-High-School/
Graduation packets will also be mailed out at the beginning of October. Here are some easy tips on how to order:
- Order Online 24/7 @ www.jostens.com
- Order by Phone: 1-800-JOSTENS (800-567-8367)
- Order by Mail – PO Box 512 – Owatonna, MN 55060
- Order in Person – Jostens Local Office – 711 W. 17th Street, suite E-7 – Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Need a Work Permit?
Work Permit Instruction:
- Select the work permit link and electronically complete the PDF form. You may also print and fill the form with a blue or black pen. https://www.elmodenahs.org/counseling/college-and-career-information/career/work-permits
- Your employer, and parent or legal guardian must complete and sign the form.
- Email the COMPLETED work permit to Ms. Sjule, the EMHS Career Guidance Technician at email@example.com. A scanned image is preferred, but you may take a picture with your phone provided the information is clear. You may also return a physical copy to Ms. Sjule in the library.
- Allow 1-2 days for your work permit to be approved and signed.
- Follow-up with Ms. Sjule in the library to receive a copy of your signed and approved work permit to provide to your employer.
- Virtual Tutoring Sessions(all subjects): Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 2:30 - 3:30pm. Google Meet code: meet.google.com/uhn-hbko-fue
- Personal Statement Tutoring Sessions: Mondays and Tuesdays through 12/7, 2:30-3:30pm Google Meet code: meet.google.com/mwf-zibn-obd
Math Tutoring: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, 3-4 pm
Google Meet code: ElmoTutoring
Paper: 24/7, on-demand, unlimited academic support. Check out your student dashboard for this awesome free tutoring resource!
Khan Academy: https://www.khanacademy.org/
Need to fix a D/F grade you received?
APEX online credit recovery is offered to all at any time of the year, not just during summer. Reach out to your counselor to be enrolled if you need to fix a D and/or F grade you received.
13 Free Resources for High School Students to Get Ahead While School Is Out
Distance Learning Tips & Resources
This website offers a wide range of support for parents/caregivers and teachers:
Resources for Students:
Free Educational Resources for Distance Learning:
Need a Device and/or Hot Spot
Laptops and internet hotspots are available for distribution at the District Office Monday - Friday, 12:30 - 3:30, Building J. No appointment is needed.
Resources for Free/Reduced Internet:
Need Tech Help?
Are you experiencing some technical difficulties with distance learning? Get help here:
Community Tech Support can be reached at 714-628-5372 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that the community tech support line remains open for all OUSD students and parents Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Relief for Those Impacted by COVID-19
- Call 2-1-1 or visit https://www.211ca.org/ Immediate assistance with food, shelter, health care, etc.
2-1-1 is a free and confidential service that helps people across
North America find the local resources they need. We’re here for you
24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Application for shelter assistance: https://www.211oc.org/get-help/211oc-can-help/families-experiencing-homelessness.html
One-stop resource for the people of California impacted
by job loss during the COVID-19 Pandemic
CA Healthy Meals App - find meals in your area https://www.cde.ca.gov/re/mo/cameals.asp
- Free/low cost internet plans: https://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/he/hn/availableinternetplans.asp
- Orange Unified School District School Closure Resources: https://www.orangeusd.org/resources