January 28, 2016
This will be an abbreviated CC with one of more depth this weekend. I want to say thanks for kind words and understanding as I support my dad at this challenging time of life.
SIT Meeting rescheduled for next week, 2/3. We need to meet to prepare for the School Learning Walks scheduled for 2/12.
I know a few of you are applying for the WS Foundation Grants detailed below. Great! This is a new source of professional development funds. Might want to throw your hat in the ring. If you apply, please give me enough time to write the required principal support letter.
We are working diligently to complete TRC with our sweep team of TRC Titans. New deadline is 2/8.
- Check it out for updates to the remainder of the year. A staff calendar on the Haiku site - the Whitaker Staff Calendar go to the calendar tab to see the full calendar. Check calendar article below too.
- The second School Wires Calendar is for families on our school website.
Energy Prestations coming Monday...
Energy Revolution: Our Energy Efficiency in Schools Program Educating our youth about energy conservation.
We discussed this briefly at a previous meeting and was on Haiku calendar - the date has crept up on us without sharing the details. This science presentation is this Monday, 2/1 in the morning. The performances are only 25 minutes.
8:30 for K-2
9:30 for 3-5
Duke Energy is proud to partner with The National Theatre for Children (NTC) to promote conservation and energy-efficiency education for grades K-8 in its service communities. This organization uses professional actors to teach students about energy efficiency through engaging, comical and informative live theater sketches.
Each performance also includes grade-appropriate workbooks for each student, comprehensive teacher guides, internet activities and classroom posters. After the show, students are encouraged to have their parents sign up to receive a free home Energy Efficiency Kit to continue reinforcing the importance of energy conservation, and to help them understand how it can translate into practical applications in their homes.
Monday - Class Read-In Day focusing cultural titles
Tuesday - AM school-wide performance assembly
Wednesday - Healing Force Performance & Food focus in classrooms - grade parents
Thursday - PM school-wide assembly - Carolina Music
Friday - Culture station rotation during specials
See email sent with lesson planning that can be considered and will support the Carolina Music show on Thursday of that week. Link to the info as well.
Grant Deadline 2/5
- 2/1 Energy Presentations - all grade levels
- 2/1 - 2/5 Book Fair
- 2/2 Report Cards go home
- 2/3 Prospective Parent Coffee
- 2/3 SIT Meeting
- 2/4 Invention Convention
- 2/5 Parent Night Out - PTA / RJR Soccer Team Event
- 2/8 MOY / Dibels window closes
- 2/10 Mary Starling Concert field trip
- 2/10 Staff Meeting
- 2/11 Read to Achieve Parent Meeting
- 2/12 SIP Learning Walks - visitors from administrative center at school for the day
- 2/15 - 2/19 Random Acts of Kindness Week
A few more items...
- Arts Council Campaign coming in February - thanks in advance to Ms. Chambers and be sure to offer your support if you would like to join her effort.
- Planning days were adjusted as well as other dates. If the Haiku or website calendar has something outdated. Please let us know.
- Send me pictures of your students using the Chromebooks. I would like to share how they are impacting our instruction.
- Please copy me on your classroom newsletters either via email or on paper. This should be at least bi-weekly or weekly.