The Middle Kingdom
Geography of China: Shanghai to Tibet
- It is the most populated country in the world and over-population is a significant problem
- Increased pollution and decreased water quality is an ever present worry
- It is the second largest country in the world
- Borders fourteen countries, more than any other nation other than Russia which also borders fourteen
- All parts have a wet and dry season that determine the weather
- Most of population centered around the eastern fertile plains
- Western China is very mountainous and has arid deserts
- Major worry is the loss of 1 million acres per year to desertification
- Contains nearly 35,000 species
- 1/4 of all species found in the rainforest
The towering Himalayas are a prominent feature in western China
Shanghai is one of the largest cities in the world and is an example of the urban areas of eastern China
The rainforests in China are one of the most Eco-diverse areas in the world
Culture: A Nation United
1. China is a communist country run by the Communist Party which is the sole political party.
2. The Communist Party is extremely involved in everyday life and is very authoritarian.
1. The government encourages atheism.
2. The traditional religion, Confucianism, has a major impact on the Chinese people.
1. China is the second largest economy in terms of GDP
2. China is the largest holder of US debt with $1.5 trillion.
1. The infant mortality rate is 14.8 per 1,000 births.
2. Live in nuclear families.
Customs and Traditions:
1. Many Chinese bow slightly when greeting each other.
2. Rice and pork are common foods.
1. Mandarin is the official language.
2. Seven major languages are spoken.
Arts and Literature:
1. Martial Arts are extremely popular.
2. The literacy rate is 95.1%.
Data Based Questions
Answer the following questions based on the picture above and prior knowledge you may have.
1. What is the basis of the Chinese-American alliance?
a. common ancestry
b. military assistance
c. financial and economic assistance
2. What attitude does each country have towards the alliance?
a. America: Necessary, but rather not be; China: Beneficial and empowering
b. America: Best friendship ever; China: A burden, but must be tolerated
Compare/Contrast China and North Korea
2nd largest economy.
Most populated country
High standard of living
3rd largest country
Economy is growing
373 people per square mile
197th largest economy.
50th most populated country
Low standard of living
99th largest country
Economy is shrinking
515 per square mile
35% of workers in Agriculture sector
Majority of people live in cities
Has nuclear weapons