Hello From The Bandroom
East Band Update Summer/Pre-Bandcamp edition!
IMPORTANT July Booster meeting/Mandatory NYC meeting July 16! 7:00pm! New Gym!
Summer Dates FOR MARCHING BAND! In case you don't have the calendar downloaded, printed and committed to memory!
July 16 - booster meeting and NYC updates
July 15, 16, 18 - Guard camp from 9a-6p.
July 15, 16, 18 - Percussion camp from 10a-3p.
July 15-19 - Uniform fittings, fees, and forms starting with seniors on 15th.
July 22, 23, 25, 26, 29, 30, Aug. 1, 2 from 12p-10p - BAND CAMP
All camp dates are required. If you must miss for any reason, all time must be made up. Please let me know ASAP! I know things can't be avoided but it is up to the student to get the work done.
Guard Camp! July 15, 16, and 18
Don't forget Guard camp is from 9a-6p on July 15, 16, and 18. The shirt colors last for the entire year. Mondays - Purple, Tuesdays -Yellow, Wednesdays - Pink, Thursdays - Blue, and Fridays - Green. Shirts can have writing, does not have to be plain, and does not have to be new. Be prepared for indoor and outdoor practices! Bug spray, sunblock, towel, ect.. Just so you know the why, the same shirt color makes it easier to see and clean the work. Don't forget your lunch and snacks!
Percussion Camp! July 15, 16, and 18
List of what you need from JW: Plenty of water, Lunch, sticks, moneys for sticks, T key drum key if you have one, deodorant!, sunscreen, drum pad, earplugs, binder, tennis shoes, hat, sunglasses! I have some binders here. If you don't have ear plugs try to get some ASAP.
Leadership Camp! July 15, 16, and 18
Brass Camp! July 16 and 18!
UNIFORM FITTINGS JULY 15-19
Every musician will be responsible for having their own pants hemmed. Then band has outgrown our resources for this. We proved that last year!
Here is what you need to know about the pants:
DO NOT CUT ANY MATERIAL OFF!
1. The length of the pants is a military style. That means the crease does not break. It creates a straight, crisp line down the front of the pants.
2. If your pants have the snap bottoms you will not sew these. All you do is button the pants to the correct length and then press. When you press the pants you will NOT put the iron directly on the pants. You will need a towel between the pants and the heat. Direct heat will melt the fabric. Pants are almost $125 a pair. The best way is to have a dry cleaner press them. This will be a one time process unless your child grows quickly! If you have to sew the pants you will follow same rules on pressing them.
3. Pants are due back by July 30. We have pictures coming up! If pants are not back by then and I have not heard from a parent then there will be consequences! Always something to clean in the band room!!
4. Make sure you do not cut the pants! These pants will last 7-10 years when properly cared for. If you have a lot of length left and are not sure what to do, bring it to me. If material is "cut off" you will be responsible for replacement pants.
5. IF YOU CANNOT GET THE PANTS TAKEN CARE OF we have a few folks available that can do it for a $5. Just let me know as soon as you can.
Band Camp General Info
1. Bring your own snacks and coolers! We will have access to the "water hose" to refill coolers though. We used to get snacks for everyone but then had a lot of wasted food so now kids just bring their own. We will have some emergency food on hand though.
2. Schedule - 12:00-4:30 - inside time unless we go outside to a shady spot to play. That doesn't happen often unless kids are percussion or guard. The nature of their section requires more space. Dinner break is from 4:30-5:30 then we will be outside from 5:30 until dismissal.
3. Dinner break - You can pack something, drop off something or participate in the bandcamp meal plan. Kids cannot leave campus. Kids using the meal plan can order and pay each day if they want to participate. That will be discussed more thoroughly at the meeting. No sodas or energy drinks. Band camp is also NOT diet week! Eat! Hydrate! Hydrate! Deodorize and then hydrate!
4. Dismissal time is based on meeting our goals of the day. Each day the leadership, instructors, and directors set goals. We go home when we met them or the clock strikes 10:00pm!
5. There is a process to pick up. When dismissing this many kids at one time we have to have traffic control. Look for that info soon!
6. Supply list: water cooler, sunblock, deodorant, sunblock, bug spray, flip folder and lyre(which you can purchase from us), pencils, highlighter, towel to sit instrument on during breaks, snacks that actually provide energy, deodorant, hat that provides shade, and probably more! Again, the meeting is the place to be!
7. The rookies will all have their mentors available for further, more direct questions. The kids should have exchanged numbers before the break.
8. Email is the best way to contact me - firstname.lastname@example.org You can also respond to the reminds. Please include your name when replying to the remind. It doesn't always show up.
NYC TRIP - HOW MUCH IS DUE AND WHEN?
4 in a room - $950 total so $712.50 per person IN YOUR ACCOUNT by July 16
3 in a room - $1010 total so $757.50 per person IN YOUR ACCOUNT by July 16
2 in a room - $1110 total so $832.50 per person IN YOUR ACCOUNT by July 16
single - $1390 total so $1042.50 per person IN YOUR ACCOUNT by July 16July 16th you will need %75 in your account! I CANNOT BUY YOUR TICKET IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE MONEY IN YOUR ACCOUNT.
NOTE! Fees always come first! Any money turned in will go towards unpaid fee balances before being applied to your trip!
NYC Group list link
Page 1 is the full list in alphabetical. First column is which flight group you are in. You are either in group 1, 2, or 3. Page two is the rooming list. Page 3 is the flight info for each group including flight numbers.
July Statements have been emailed out!
SCHEDULES! SCHEDULES! SCHEDULES!
Summer Lessons with Mr. Engle, Ana, or Kirk!
Ana Valenzuela(Brass) and Andrew Kirk(percussion) will also be offering lessons! Contact either of them for more info! Just email me and I will forward it along to them!
Make sure you are updated and on the correct Remind list! Update ASAP
Text your code to 81010 and get all of the valuable info!
If you are moving into JR High Band then your remind is @jrband1920
If you are in the 2019-2020 Marching Band (includes guard) - @eastband
if you are guard- @elhsguard
If you are going to NYC - @east2nyc
Jr high Band - @eastjrband - This one will be archived July 17
Check out our awesome Website for all of your band info and needs!
We are working on making it your "one stop shopping" experience for information for the East Limestone Band!