Message from DK & Rich
- You have taken on new math materials and curriculum while learning the digital piece.
- You have read...and read some more in order to learn the Units of Study with reading in order to provide rich instruction to grow all readers.
- You have stood in the center of your classroom and asked yourself what you value in order to create spaces that allow for your actions to scream your beliefs.
- You have dialed in with assessments in order to determine which children are showing extra love and support is needed to push them just a bit more.
- You have collaborated with teammates at a level unlike before committing and contributing each week.
- You have been open to the shift with beliefs regarding diversity and being purposeful when choosing picture books and questions to ask.
- You have asked for help and asked questions in order to obtain the information you need for your personal and professional goals.
So what's next? We will repeat. Your expectation is to sustain what you have built. Look back at what you and your team have accomplished in one semester and maintain the momentum. You will need to contribute. You will need to challenge one another. You will need to hold one another accountable. Why? Because it's January. We cannot come this far to let it all go. Our children and our families are depending on us. We have the pure joy that we get to show up to do this work every. single. day. Go out and do good!
For those of you that are over achievers and need further reflection:
- What leadership skills have you been working on? Can you think about leading an optional PD soon or join one of Megan's?
- What professional reading have you done to grow yourself?
- How is your growth mindset doing?
- Have you reached out to your new families in order to make sure we are meeting their needs?
You are appreciated and it is truly refreshing to work here. We've got this!
Important Dates to Save
Tier 3 Services continue before school (Mon-Thurs)
CoGat Teacher Training (K&2 only)
January 11 @ 4:00 PM
January Staff Meeting
January 16 @ 7:50 AM
Cultural Competency Meeting (all welcome!)
January 16 @ 4 PM
Starting & Getting Stronger with Notice and Note
8:15-8:45 in the BSE Media Center:
JANUARY 11, 18, 25/ FEBRUARY 1, 8
CoGat Testing for K and 2nd Grade
RTI Parent Letters Due (new RTI kids)
January 26 in Fatima's mailbox
RTI Follow Up One on One Meetings
January 25 - K-2 Grades
February 2 - 3-4 Grades
February Staff Meeting
NEW SECURITY CAMERAS: We now have 9 cameras that allow us to view the majority of the playground, buses, office, front drive, and loading dock. The technology allows us to go into the system and review film at any camera view at any time. We can zoom, time stamp etc. Central office also has access to our cameras at all times.
It is pretty great technology and has already allowed us to help a few parents who were not acting so safe at car pick up. When we have major injury or discipline issue I'll review the film to ensure that we had proper supervision in place. We are 100% liable for our students and their safety while they are at recess and this is why we MUST keep ourselves spread out in the different zones and scan the area consistently. Here are a few key rules to follow to ensure that we don't have a liability issue during recess:
- SPREAD OUT: We have a huge playground, ensure that you and others are covering a zone. (Students should not be on the hill, have a teacher in that zone keeping kids off, looking inward at the recess grounds.)
- NO PHONES: If parents observe us or we observe on a camera that teachers or IA's are on their phones we are not fulfilling our promise for proper supervision.
- SCAN YOUR ENVIORNMENT: Be proactive and intervene when you things begin to escalate. Be quick to take action.
- BE HONEST AND ACCURATE: Often times we will have discipline issues or injuries that are accompanied by very graphic and horrific details of events. After reviewing our tapes we find that the incident was far off in detail from what was shared. Be honest, be accurate, and be non-emotional.
RTI One on One Meetings
Grades K-2 will be held on January 25.
Grades 3-4 will be held on February 2.
These meetings are to discuss updates with fresh data in order to continue intervention or determine as a team if adjustments to plan for behavior or academics are needed.
All teachers will need to sign up for a time slot if one or more children are currently receiving Tier 2 or Tier 3 services.
RTI Referral Forms Doc (for any child not currently receiving RTI but you're recommending them to.)
Sign up here for your one on one by choosing your grade level tab.
Please ask for help from Fatima prior to January RTI one on ones so that you can be up an running to show progress by then. Entering students into the system directions can be found here.
Morning Meetings & Greetings
Have you been thinking about conducting morning meetings or afternoon circle time? There are colleagues at every grade level that have this as a practice as a daily routine and reap great benefits from the time. Most importantly, we work so hard building relationships with children and this daily time allow for children to sustain these types of relations with one another. The entire environment and family feel of the room changes when a daily practice to use one another's names and have some fun are just what we do!
If you are considering implementing this reflection and goal setting time into your classroom and need resources - check with teammates or reach out to Megan Thompson @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Environment Check - Make Learning Visible
What does the next Unit of Study offer for collaborative thinking and inquiry? Talk to your teammates and explore new ways to tell your story for second semester and refresh the walls with current stories.
There are many in this building that enjoy this part of documentation and are really good at telling about the purpose, process, and product using kid language and images. Ask for help...but you're probably one of them!
It's also a great time to step back into the center of your room and look around at the walls. Ask yourself what needs refreshing and can now come down? If you're not sure, ask the children. "What can we take down to make room for new tools for new learning?"
Collaboration with Mrs. Kussy
Who is ready to collaborate?
In what ways would you like to collaborate?
The possibilities are numerous.
Please find me or email to set a time to meet and plan. That is all it takes.
The rewards are great and the students succeed!
Parents are Partners
Parents are always asking questions and wondering about what we do everyday. Call them and tell them! Even when they email - if it's an opportunity to pick up the phone and share something exciting about their kiddo while answering their quick question - do it. The question is when? Only you can answer that.
Testing Season Has Arrived
Mrs. Rogowski will oversee training and answer questions.
Training for K and 2 teachers will be in the Art room this Thursday January 11. Please bring your laptop.
Cave Time - BSE Professional Learning Community
- Are you taking advantage of meeting in different classrooms to observe different environments?
- Are you revisiting your norms and adjusting as needed?
- Are we all contributing and challenging one another's thinking?
- What has your team designated as the best way to determine if children are learning and how to measure this?