LCMS Weekly Newsletter
By Tami Gunset
Although it is still two Six Weeks periods away, you need to begin making arrangements for summer school if your child is in danger of failing classes. Please make sure you are aware of your child's first semester grade and make sure that the grades your child receives this semester will average to a 70% or higher for the final year grade. Students should be knowledgeable and aware of their grades, so please encourage your student to be checking grades online and spending the time getting good grades - ALL STUDENTS are able to achieve this GOAL.
2016-2017 Schedule Request Parent Meeting for current 5th, 6th and 7th graders
We will host a parent informational meeting regarding schedule requests and the various course paths your child can take for the 2016-17 school year on February 16 at 6:00pm in the LCMS Cafeteria. I would highly encourage each parent to attend as we will cover questions you will have about your child's 2016-17 schedule.
Schedule request cards will need to be returned by February 19. This is something that you and your child should complete at home. Please let me know if you have any questions.
8th Grade Scoliosis Screening
8th Grade Banquet Information
Banquet will be Saturday, May 14.
Great Opportunity for outgoing 8th Graders!
Lubbock-Cooper High School will have a POM Squad
for the 2016-17 school year.
Tryouts will be held in May.
Current 8th graders - 11th graders may tryout
for the POM Squad.
We are also starting a dance program at the high school. Any interested student may choose to take a dance class for a fine arts credit.
There will also be a POM Squad class. This class will only be open to those students who are selected for the POM Squad.
Many more details to come soon!
8th grade Girls Basketball Team City Champions
Congratulations to our 8th Grade Girls Basketball Team on winning the City Championship and finishing the 2016 season with an overall record of 13-1. We are very proud of each one of you and truly appreciate all your hard work throughout the basketball season. Thanks Coach Simmons for all your hard work and all that has been accomplished with this group of young ladies.
Great Basketball Season LCMS Pirates and Lady Pirates!
South Plains Regional & Engineering Fair AWARDS 2016
American Chemical Society
Texas Institute for Environmental Human Health
Texas Tech University-Natural Resources Mgmt.
American Psychological Assoc.
ASM Materials Award
USDA - Golden Spread Chapter Soil & Water Conservation
South Plains Electric Co-op
Congratulations to other Regional Science Fair Participants
Cassandra Franco - Is it Getting Hot in Here?
Ryan Garcia - Phoning in Sick
Braden Popejoy - Bluetooth from the Other Side
Zachary Barrientes - Beakmen Flow
Caitlyn Guetersloth - Chasing the Perfect 10
Taylor McCall - Candies to Dye For
Elizabeth Worthington - Ferns Phyt- To- Remediate Soil
Ainsley Schwintz - Phoney Bacteria
Zane Zietouni - Going, Going, Gone
Ivan Castro - Dead Accurate
LCMS 2016 Cheerleader/Mascot Tryout Eligibility
In order for a student to tryout for cheerleader, the following conditions must be met.
· must be academically eligible at the time of tryouts in accordance with UIL regulations;
· must sign up, attend a short meeting, and pick up a packet at the time and place designated by the cheer coach (Tuesday, March 1 at 7:30am in the Middle School Library;
· must have a parent/guardian attend the Mandatory Parent Meeting on Wednesday, March 2 at 5:30pm in the Middle School Auditorium;
· must return the signed Permission Form and Medical Release form by the
designated date (Thursday, March 3 by 3:45pm) to Mrs. Brown in Room 23;
· must not have been removed from any Lubbock-Cooper Cheerleading Squads in the previous year or have been prohibited from tryout due to a review by the cheer coaches/sponsors and administrative team;
· must be available for summer camp and all scheduled practices and attend the entire time (Camp dates tentative May 31-June 2);
· must purchase tryout attire ($20-$25);
· must attend all clinics (March 3 and March 4 4:00-5:30pm) and mock judging (March 8 4:00-5:30pm) (for mock judging the candidate is to wear tryout attire, shoes, and socks that will be worn in front of the judges for cheer coach approval);
· must attend tryout/judging Wednesday, March 9 beginning at 4:00pm (ending time will be determined by how many candidates we have, do not schedule any other event on this day) (tryout is closed);
· must accept financial responsibility for all required items ($650-$800 and other expenses during the 2016-2017 school year).
· must agree to abide by all the rules and guidelines established for cheerleaders at Lubbock-Cooper ISD.
*Tryout material will not be released until after school on the first clinic date (March 3), no exceptions!
The requirements above must be met by the date/time listed, or the
student WILL NOT be allowed to tryout.
Reserve Your Pirate Star Yearbook Today!!
Yearbook orders are being taken now! There are two ways to order your copy!
1. Go online to www.balfour.com and type in Lubbock-Cooper Middle School and click on the yearbook to order online by March 25.
2. Turn in this form with your money to Mrs. Brown room 23 (science) by April 8.
*Online sales will end March 25 and order forms need to be turned into Mrs. Brown by April 8 to ensure you get a copy of the amazing Pirate Star Yearbook.
Mrs Baird's Teachers On The Rise
There's no better way for students to thank their teacher this Month than to nominate their teachers. Our nomination portal atWWW.MrsBTeacher.com will remain open. Please encourage students to nomination their teachers!
Remember, we have three winners every month during the school year and we would love to visit your school to honor one of your great teachers. Please help us spread the word about the Teacher On The Rise program and encourage students to enter their teachers every month. Teachers On The Rise winners receive great prizes including a $100 United Supermarkets Shopping Spree, a $100 VISA card from Mrs Baird's, and a great prize from the Texas Classroom Teachers Association. To encourage students to enter their teachers, we give each student who nominates a winning teacher a $50 VISA card!
Nomination website: www.MrsBTeacher.com
For questions or additional information, please contact us at: TOTR@prexperts.net
WE KNOW YOUR SCHOOL HAS GREAT TEACHERS, AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO VISITING YOUR CAMPUS TO SURPRISE A DESERVING TEACHER THIS SCHOOL YEAR.
Next Two Weeks Calendar Events
- Monday, February 15 - Boys Basketball vs LBMS @ LBMS (5:30pm/6:30pm)
- Monday, February 15 - President's Day
- Monday, February 15 - Fifth Six Weeks Begins
- Tuesday, February 16 - Current 5th, 6th and 7th 2016 Scheduling Meeting in Cafeteria (6pm)
- Wednesday, February 17 - 8th Grade Scoliosis Screening (AM Only)
- Thursday, February 18 - LCISD School Board Meeting (7pm)
- Tuesday, February 23 - MS Band Pre-UIL @ Frenship (TBA)
- Wednesday, February 24 - MS Band Pre-UIL @ Frenship (TBA)
- Wednesday, February 24 - StuCo Spring Conference @ Estacado HS (All Day)
- Friday, February 26 - iPod, Hat, Holey Jean Day (each item $1)
- Monday, February 29 - Girls Track Meet @ LCMS (5pm)
- Monday, February 29 - Boys Track Meet @ Monterey High School (5pm)
Attendance Reminders for LCMS:
- School begins at 8:00 AM.
- First bell rings at 7:55 AM.
- Tardy bell rings at 8:00 AM.
- Any arrivals after 8:20 AM are counted as an absence for 1st/9th period.
- If your student is ill, please call in by 10:00 AM. The attendance line phone number is (806) 863-7184 (Sally Aguilar) – it is important to call the attendance line rather than the main line to report an absence.
- Students are allowed up to seven days excused with a parent phone call or parent note.
- After a student's seventh absence, a doctor’s note is required.
- Students are allowed one personal day per year (counted as an excused absence.) Written notice must be approved by campus principal three days prior to the absence. Please keep in mind that the personal day must be taken before the student's seventh absence.
| || |
LCMS Parent Organization Facebook