Summer Newsletter #3!!!!
THE MEANIX MINUTES...for another great video newsletter, click my face : )
🚌🚌 Bus Info & Teacher Info👩🏫👨💼
Families will be notified when busing information (bus number, location, times) are ready to be viewed in the Parent Portal.
- If you are in need of an alternate bus stop due to childcare, please use the form below!
Families will also be notified that the student classroom assignments are ready to be viewed in Parent Portal.
- KEEP IN MIND THAT FAMILIES ARE STILL REGISTERING AND/OR MOVING AWAY, SO CLASS ASSIGNMENTS CAN CHANGE AS THINGS PROGRESS!!!
August 11th or 12th--busing information will be posted--families will be emailed when ready to view.
August 15th--classroom placements will be posted--families will be emailed when ready to view
**Tues, August 16--TOURS
- New families grades 1st-5th @ 4:00
- Kindergarten Families (last names M-Z) @ 4:30**
Tuesday, August 23 – Kindergarten Open House for Kindergarten parents--6:30 pm
Wednesday, August 24 - 1st Grade Open House for parents--6:30 pm
Monday August 29 - First Day of School for Students
Tuesday, August 30 - 2nd and 3rd Grade Open House for parents
Thursday, September 1 - 4th and 5th Grade Open House for parents
Monday, September 5 - Schools and Offices Closed (Labor Day)
Monday, September 26 - No School for Students (Teacher In-Service)
**information about tours for new families and K families has already been sent
SUMMER READING OPPORTUNITIES!!!!!
Click below to check out our fun options for Summer Reading.
Mrs. Gadaleto worked with the local library to make this a fun way to keep reading going during the summer months.
Tweet me a photo of your kid(s) doing summer reading so that I can stay connected over the summer! TWITTER : @SWSelem
PTO Volunteers Needed -Get involved and make a difference! 🙋🙋♀️
Open PTO Positions
We need some parents to step up. If interested, please reach out to email@example.com to learn more! Thank you!
- Spring Fair
- School store
- Grade level socials
- Adult socials
☎️ PTO Membership - UpdateYour Directory Profile
It's almost that time of year! We want to welcome back all our Starkweather wolves and welcome new families to the pack! Please review the WELCOMEBACK letter from our PTO presidents. It has information on PTO dues, important school dates, and more! More details on upcoming events will be coming soon.
New and existing families, follow the steps below to update your information. Once you create/update a PTO Membership Account, you will have access to the published school directory, can pay the PTO dues, receive PTO and school-related information, and make payments for other upcoming school events.
Here's what you need to do:
- Go to https://starkweatherpto.membershiptoolkit.com/.
- Click on the Register/Login button.
- If you already have an account, use the same email and password to log in; Then, proceed to the numbered steps below.
- In you a new to our membership, select "Create Account" and fill in the name, email, and password information.
- Click "verify my email" and then check your email for a link to complete the process. The link expires in 2 hours. If you do not receive the email, then check your spam or junk folders.
- Once you have verified your email address, log back in and finish the registration process.
- Complete the Parent/Family and Student Information (*teachers may need to be updated).
- Complete the Directory/Publish Preferences.
- Once these forms are complete, you will be presented with other forms, such as the PTO Membership payment form.
- To pay your PTO dues online, simply go to the store and add the number of students to the PTO/Homeroom dues form and then, add to the cart and check out. We thank you for your support!
Once the Primary Account is set up, the Primary User can "invite" other email addresses to access his/her account. This allows the Secondary User to have their own login information, but still have access to the family account.
Any questions or concerns can be directed to Maureen Wilkins at firstname.lastname@example.org!
PTO Dues 2022-2023 🐺
This year, we are collecting $30 per child with a cap of $100 per family. To make it easy, we offer several ways to pay dues for you to help support Starkweather:
- Online payment will be available through Venmo by sending to @StarkweatherPTO or click our VenmoQR to scan with your phone. Our logo is the wolf; no need to confirm with phone number.
- You can log into our SWSMembershipSite and pay online. *This is also how families can add themselves to our school directory to receive emails, class lists and parent contacts (more information on this in a section below).
- Checks or cash can be sent in with your child once school is in session. Checks should be made out to Starkweather PTO.
School Supplies Made Easy 🎒🍎✏️
IT IS NOT TOO LATE TO ORDER...but sooner than later!!
Get a jumpstart on your school supplies by ordering your SWS School Tool Box. It is the easiest way to get your teacher-approved supplies! If you'd rather shop 'old school' style, check out the attachment below and print out the list : )
🥯Breakfast and Lunch in 2022-2023🥪
This fall, students will need to pay for breakfast and/or lunch.
While that may sound obvious, for the past two years, students were provided breakfast and lunch free of charge due to Federal grant funding.
Because of that, many of our students have never experienced using their school ID number on our pin pad for cafeteria payment, but our staff will support students in doing this. They can practice inputting their number on a calculator if you get really bored on a rainy day...check out the picture of the key pad they will use in the cafeteria.
New families and Kindergarten families, your student's ID number is on the letter you got when your registration was finalized. To find your student's number and or to add money to your student's account, check out the Families & Students tab on the website. There, you can find the Parent Portal link and also the PaySchoolsCentral (PayForIt) link. Students can use cash, but it is MUCH easier to add money to his or her account through PaySchoolsCentral.
This ID number does not change from year to year, but, even our older students may not remember!
🍎 Staffing Updates 🍎
We have some staff that are returning this year, some that are being shifted around a bit, and some that are just starting with us this year.
Kindergarten--Mrs. Kate Saraceni is returning this year, and will join Mrs. Jen D'Antonio, Mrs. Kristen Brown, and Mrs. Michel Comstock.
1st Grade--Ms. Beth Nikish, Mrs. Dashira Ramirez, Ms. Nicole Faggiola, Mrs. Kelly Duffey
2nd Grade--Ms. Kristine Bengel (kindergarten last year and 2nd gr previous to that) will be joining Ms. Allison Morris, Ms. Stacy Zelinski (Esworthy), Mrs. Sue Atwell, and Mrs. Melissa Dailey.
3rd Grade--Mrs. Erin Melanson, Mrs. Amy Robinson, Ms. Amber Keys, and Ms. Susie Jackson
4th Grade--Mrs. Jordan Fleming (Brown) is moving from 3rd last year and 4th the year before to join Mrs. Alyssa Buckley, Mr. Tony Ambrosino, Mrs. Jessie Barbato (returning from maternity leave), and Mrs. Carolyn McGaughey
5th Grade--Ms. Abigail Buckley (4th gr last year) and Mrs. Marie Mullarkey (building sub & experienced teacher) will be joining Ms. Bevin Sullivan and Mrs. Amy Doran. [Mrs. O'Neill is on maternity leave, and Mrs. Franz has moved to NC to teach, where she will be awesome!]
Nurse--Mrs. Christine Parkinson (see below) will be working with Mr. Robert Dando in our Nursing office.
Special Education--Mrs. Lisa Moncrief is joining our Learning Support team with Mrs. Anne Svelling, Ms. Jess Johanson, and Mrs. Amanda Renauro.
Reading Specialist--Ms. Sarah Croft is coming to us from Exton Elementary, and joining Mrs. Allison Mastrilli and Ms. Molly Neubert. [Mrs. Lisa Stoddard has been hired as Principal at Media Elementary School, where she will be awesome!]
FROM MRS. PARKINSON IN THE HEALTH OFFICE
We are very excited to welcome Mrs. Christine Parkinson back to SWS. For years, Mrs. Parkinson was an active member of our PTO as her own children attended Starkweather. Mrs. Parkinson is taking over for Mrs. Doyle who retired at the end of last school year, and she will be a great addition to our staff. Mrs. Parkinson's email is email@example.com should you want to send her any of the information you have described below, but keep in mind she isn't working over the summer.
PA State school health mandated immunization, physical & dental requirements for 22-23 school year:
1. All students are required to be up to date with PA state mandated immunizations within the first 5 days of school in order to avoid being excluded from school.
2. All kindergarten students and any student registering for the first time to FHE must submit updated physical and dental examination report to the school nurse within the first 60 days of school in order to avoid being excluded from school. Reports can be dated on/after September 2021.
3. Rising 3rd Graders- Your child is required to have a dental exam in his/her 3rd grade school year (2022-2023). This is not a new requirement, but WCASD now has a provisional period of 60 days from the start of school. This means your child’s dental exam report is due on or before November 1, 2022. This deadline is a long time off, but the nurse can accept upcoming or recent dental reports any time and update your child’s health record now. Exams must have been after 8/30/2021.
If you have questions about these requirements, please contact our school nurse, Mrs. Christine Parkinson via email-- firstname.lastname@example.org
If you registered your child(ren) through WCASD portal and did not upload all or part of the above PA state school health mandates, please send the information to Mrs. Christine Parkinson at the above email address as soon as possible.
Thank you for partnering with us to ensure we have your child's most up-to-date medical records on file.
NEW STUDENT REGISTRATION
Looking to register a Kindergarten student for this year? It is not too late to do so. Use the NEW STUDENT LINK and follow the steps to register. MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE THE CORRECT SCHOOL YEAR!! For a student for next year, 2022-23, choose the school year carefully, otherwise you may need to start over. Any questions, reach out to Mari Pitt in the office. MPITT@WCASD.NET or 484-266-2202.
Looking to Volunteer??
If you would like to volunteer to help out here at Starkweather, and especially if you think that you will want to be a chaperone for a field trip, please make sure your CLEARANCES are on file. This process is kind of a pain in the neck, to be honest, but the forms do last for years.
Check out VOLUNTEER FORMS to get the process started.
Thanks for helping out!
PickUp Patrol for absenses, late, and early dismissal changes
Starkweather uses PickUp Patrol for ALL plan changes, including late and early dismissals and absences. Please do not send notes, emails or call the school for changes, except in an emergency.
If you are a new family, Mrs. Donna MacLeod email@example.com (office assistant & attendance secretary) will email you a link at the end of August during teacher in-service week. It is quick and easy to use, and saves a lot of time and hassle!
🚌 DROP OFF & PICK UP 🚙
- DROP OFF is from 8:30 - 9:00.
- Please notice the green line on the map to use the CAR LOOP to drop off kids for regular arrival.
- ALL STUDENTS WILL ENTER THE BUILDING THROUGH THE MAIN ENTRANCE DOORS.
- Parents who are using ACP for Before School Care should notice the RED dashes on the map and drive around the side of the building. ACP uses the cafeteria and the back playground. If you are later than 8:30 for ACP drop off, use the regular CAR LOOP with the rest of the parents, please.
- Buses are able to transport more kids than last year, so that should help alleviate our large car line from last year (hopefully).
- If you are later than 9:00, please park your car and walk your child to the door to be let in. If it is after 9:10, you will need to sign them in, too.
- If it is later than 9:00 but the buses are also still emptying, you are able to drop them off on the curb as we will still have staff out front.
- YIELD to BUSES--we usually do not have too much congestion in the mornings, but if needed, buses will pass the cars on the way up the hill.
- PICK UP for afternoon dismissal is from 3:30 to 3:50.
- Any student ‘left over’ after 3:50 will need to be picked up from the office.
- As a parent pulls in to the car line, a staff member will use the Pick Up Patrol app to notify the classroom that the parent is here. The student will leave from the classroom and meet the parent in the carline.
- We will have staff members out front making note of the cars as they arrive into the CAR LOOP and helping students get into the cars (notice the green line on the map)
- As you’re waiting in the Car Line on the hill, be aware that buses will pass you on the way up the hill. It is ok, we have done this for years...LOOK BOTH WAYS as you enter and exit the Car Loop.
- YIELD TO THE BUSES!! Look at the RED ARROWS on the map above--those are spots where parents need to be careful when pulling into and out of the car loop. YIELD TO THE BUSES!!