PH & SB News!
South Bay District News for the week of Oct. 10th
NO SCHOOL MON 10/10 - Teacher Duty Day
Parent Teacher Student Association
PTSA's first meeting will be on October 12 at 5:30 in the Pine Hill Library. A Zoom option will be available as well. Everyone is invited to attend!
Apples for Educators
Girls & Boys Basketball
Nightly Reading Homework
All students at Pine Hill and South Bay have nightly reading homework. THIS WEBSITE and the video below provide a number of suggestions and strategies for families when reading with their children at home. Reading homework has been proven to be the most effective homework for elementary-aged students. We greatly appreciate you prioritizing reading with your children every evening! They will benefit greatly from the experience!
National School Lunch Week, Oct. 10-15th
In order to celebrate we are going to have a groovy Tie Dye day on Wed. 10/12. Wear your favorite tie dye and thank Ms. Danika and Ms. Angie for all they do!
Upcoming Author's Festival
2022 Children's Author Festival at South Bay School on October 20
(from their website: www.authorfest.org)
After skipping the last Author Festival due to Covid, it is back at South Bay School this year! Starting in 1975, the Humboldt County Children’s Author Festival has brought 25 authors from all around the country to Humboldt County every two years. These authors inspire, delight, and encourage a love for books and reading for thousands of children while visiting approximately 60 schools during their four days in Humboldt County.
The visiting author at South Bay School on October 20 will be Barry Deutsch, who adapted the first five novels from the popular Wings of Fire series to graphic novels. He also wrote an award-winning graphic series of his own called Hereville which has three books.
In addition to providing the school visits, the Author Festival hosts a popular book sale and author event at the main library on Saturday, October 22, where students and their families can meet the authors and have books signed. The library buzzes with excitement as students interact with the author celebrities.
Funded primarily by the generous support of local businesses and organizations, the biennial festival is produced by a dedicated group of librarians, educators, and community members who volunteer their time, talent, and energies to bring this fun, upbeat event to enrich our local schools.
Site Council/Charter Council
- provide an open forum for discussing educational issues
- provide an opportunity for interaction by parents, teachers, and administrators
- foster the importance of decision-making at the site level
- contribute to each site's Plan for Student Achievement
- assist in defining educational needs and problems
If being a part of our schools' site councils intrigues you, please reach out to Heather Becksted at South Bay or Tim Grimmett at Pine Hill. Your interest in this important school team is greatly appreciated!
Menus will be covered in two-week sections, due to supply chain issues. The kitchen wants to ensure that we are able to provide the meals that are on our menu, so planning for shorter time periods is necessary. Both South Bay and Pine Hill do not provide microwaves for students to use in the cafeteria, so please pack ready-to-eat meals.
**Remember school breakfast & lunch is free for ALL students, regardless of home income. **
Family Resource Center
Get familiar with what the FRC has to offer! Stop by or call us at 707-445-5933.
- Parent Support Group will be starting up Friday, September 2 from 8:30-9:30 in the Pine Hill FRC.
- First Five sponsored Playgroup will be starting up Tuesday, August 30, from 9:30-11:30 in the Pine Hill FRC.
- Costco Diapers Sizes 1-5 Available.
- Backpacks and School Supplies Available
- We will start sign-ups for our Friday Food Bag list soon. If you'd like a bag of food sent home with your student every Friday call and let us know!
- We are open for drop-ins at Pine Hill in the FRC and at South Bay in Room 17 Mon-Fri 8:00-4:00.