FAC Weekly Update
October 9, 2020
Good morning, Fine Arts Center Family
I hope you had a wonderful week! Here is the latest from the halls of the Fine Arts Center...
VIRTUAL COLLEGE VISITS - Starting Today!
The website for the full schedule and listing of participants is:
FAC APPLICATION - 2021-2022 School Year
The application window is October 8 - November 12. Late applications will not be accepted, so please make sure that this task gets completed in a timely manner. Offers to attend the FAC will go out through Backpack on February 5, 2021.
This Week's Student Leadership Lesson
“Most of the game is about persistence. It is the most important trait. Sure, when you get an opportunity, you have to perform and you have to exceed beyond all expectations, but getting that chance is the hardest part. So keep the vision clear in your head and every day refuse all obstacles to get to the goal.”
- Darren Aronofsky - from Tribe of Mentors, page 399
- Horatio Alger Association - seeks to assist students who have demonstrated integrity, perseverance in overcoming adversity, strength in character, critical financial need ($55,000 or less adjusted gross income per family), good academic record, commitment to pursue a college education and a desire to contribute to society. www.horatioalger.org/scholarships. Deadline October 25, 2020.
- Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation - Achievement based scholarship for graduating seniors. Students are recognized for their capacity to lead and serve as well as their commitment to having an impact on their school and community. 150 Coca-Cola scholars are selected each year to receive this $20,000 scholarship. More information at www.coca-cola scholars.org. Deadline October 31, 2020.
- College Board Opportunity Scholarships are micro-scholarships that high school students can earn by taking steps on their path to college. https://opportunity.collegeboard.org/
GCS Job Fair - October 27, 2020
Students - Are You Reading Your Emails?
As a parent of a child who is not "into" reading his emails, I know how tough this battle is. Let's keep fighting the good fight on this together. We want our kids to be the owners of information, and not relying on others to manage their responsibilities.
- Mr. Popat
Speaking of emails...
Very important information on how to communicate with your teachers. Learning how to write an email properly can be a game-changer for your future!
Support the FAC When You Shop
Arts High Schools provide “above and beyond” experiences for our students that often fall outside of the normal school budget. Here are some easy ways to help us on a regular basis. Funds go to Guest Artist experiences, Masterclasses, and much more!
Select Fine Arts Center Partners as your preferred charitable organization
Harris Teeter and Publix
Go to https://fineartscenter.net/page.asp?titleid=donate for information on how to help the FAC while shopping for groceries
Are You a Follower?
Many of our teaching studios have their own Instagram account as well, so follow us and you can easily find those pages through our account.
Building Hours - Attendance Plan 2
8:00 a.m. Classes
Building access at 7:45 a.m.
9:15 a.m. Classes
Building access at 8:30 a.m.
1:30 p.m. Classes
Building access at 1:15 p.m.
- Should these restrictions result in a hardship to your family relative to the parent’s ability to get to work on time, please call our Main Office. Before doing so, we respectfully request that you attempt to work out a resolution with your workplace. If no compromise can be found, we can accept a very limited number of students before the above building access times.
- Studio Time is not available to students while we are under social distancing restrictions.
As always, please call or email with any questions!
STEPS TO RETURN TO SCHOOL IF EXPOSED to/SYMPTOMATIC WITH COVID
Fine Arts Center - Greenville County Schools
Preparing dedicated students for 21st-century careers through rigorous, pre-professional arts training in a dynamic, inclusive, collaborative learning community.