FPHS Parent and Student Memo
October 5, 2020
Dear Parents and Students,
- Grades are in! Students and Parents, please make sure you're checking Teacher Ease through DORA to see current class grades. As assignments and assessments are collected, teachers are updating their gradebooks. Make sure you're not falling behind!
- PICTURE DAY! See details below.
- Students, are you interested in a CLUB or ACTIVITY? Please let us know HERE.
- Reminder: October 5 is a NON SCHOOL day. For remainder of the week, the schedule is normal: Tuesday (4, 5, 6), Wednesday (Asynchronous for all ), Thursday (1, 2, 3), Friday (4, 5, 6).
- TECHNOLOGY: If you are still experiencing problems with your district device, please contact IT directly via the new IT Work Order button in DORA or by calling them directly at 253-298-4647.
- MATERIALS PICK UP DAYS: Thank you to all students and families who came to pick up your class materials. If you were not able to pick up your materials, please email Ms. Laban at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a pick-up. Pick ups are made by appointment only.
Stay tuned for more information and details. We wish you all the very best. Stay safe and be well!
REGULAR DAILY/WEEKLY SCHEDULE:
LatinX/Hispanic Heritage Month
LatinX/Hispanic Heritage Month recognizes and celebrates the contributions of Americans tracing their roots to Spain, Mexico, Central America, South America and the Spanish-speaking nations of the Caribbean. The observance began in 1968 as National Hispanic Heritage Week. Two decades later, it was expanded to a month-long celebration, stretching from September 15 to October 15.
Browse a list of Hispanic and LatinX poets and poetry HERE.
October Culture Calendar
- National Bullying Prevention Month. Learn more HERE.
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Learn more HERE.
- Filipino-American Heritage Month. Learn more HERE.
- Italian American Heritage Month. Learn more HERE.
- LGBT History Month. Learn more HERE.
Cardinal Character Trait for October: COMPASSION
October 2: International Day of Nonviolence
October 5: World Teachers Day
October 12: Indigenous Peoples Day
October 24: United Nations Day
A message and invitation from our Family and Community Engagement Coordinator, Ms. Bonita Lee:
Hello FP Community,
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month! We are looking for staff members, students, and family members to participate in a short video by answering the following questions. 1. How has breast cancer affected you or your family member? 2. What do you want to tell people about breast cancer? 3.What is the best way to support a person with breast cancer (lived experience, please)? 4. How important is it to go to the doctor on a regular basis? Please send your videos to Ms. Lee by October 9th at email@example.com.
Last July, I found out my aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer and it shook my family. This project is near and dear to my heart. My hope for this video, is to raise awareness for breast cancer survivors and honor our loved ones who lost the fight.
If you have a pink shirt, please wear it on October 20th and send Ms. Lee a picture so we can share it. (I will send a reminder email, the day before)
Did you know?
- 1-8 women in the US have been diagnosed with breast cancer
- In the United States 3.5 Million women are survivors
If you have any questions, please reach out.
Family and Community Engagement Coordinator
Homework Center: Free Tutoring Daily
- Monday through Friday: 9am - 11am and 12:30pm - 2:30pm.
- On Wednesdays, there is an additional hour available from 3pm to 4pm.
HW Center LINK.
For the latest updates and information about 2020-21 high school sports, please visit the WIAA website HERE and watch the video from Mr. McNeil below.
For the most recent modified sport season calendar, visit HERE.
As families in the Franklin Pierce School District, there are a few items you can do to help you and your child to be ready to go for 2020-21 high school sports regardless of when that occurs:
- Make sure your son or daughter has a current physical that has been completed within the last 2 years. If it expires within the next 3-4 months, we recommend getting that taken care of as soon as possible. If you have a question about your expiration date, Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If your son or daughter had a physical while at Ford, we have those on file at FPHS and they will be transferred over.
- Follow the WIAA and Franklin Pierce HS on Facebook, Instagram, and twitter for continuous updates.
- Connect with coaches of your sport. Coaches have been given permission to host online meetings with current and prospective athletes. We know they would love to connect with families and athletes to be able to begin sharing important information.
Fall Coaches' emails:
- Football: Trevor Hanson, Thanson@fpschools.org
- Cross Country (Boys & Girls): Jesse McNeil, Jmcneil@fpschools.org
- Golf (Boys): Colin Horak, email@example.com
- Golf (Girls): Jeff Melvard, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Soccer (Girls): Kyle Wynkoop, email@example.com
- Swim & Dive (Girls): TBH
- Tennis (Boys): Tyler Parsons, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Volleyball (Girls): Tiffany Disney, Tdisney@fpschools.org
- Cheerleading: Rebecca Matthews, email@example.com
- District Website: https://www.fpschools.org/
- Franklin Pierce HS Website
- FPS Remote Learning Website
- IT Help Desk for Students and Parents: 253-298-4647, 7:30AM to 4PM.
- Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI)
- FPS Breakfast and Lunch Program: www.fpschools.org/meals
- FPS Education Resources: https://www.fpschools.org/exended-closure-resources-and-information/closure-educational-resources
- Want to add Canvas to your phone? Android or iOS. Once you download the app, search "fpschools" to find our district.
- FPHS Facebook page.
- Information about GRADES and GRADING.
- Information about BUSES.
- District CALENDAR.
- Information about ATTENDANCE.
- How to access and use DORA.
COVID- 19 Resources:
- District Website: https://www.fpschools.org/
- Gov. Inslee's COVID-19 updates web page: https://www.governor.wa.gov/tags/covid-19-coronavirus
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- District resources and partners: https://www.fpschools.org/departments/family-engagement-office/community-resources
- Check with your phone and internet provider: many providers are offering free and/or unlimited data, internet etc. during the Stay Home, Stay Healthy order.
- Financial Resources: https://dfi.wa.gov/coronavirus/financial-resources