Irons All Things Course Selection
Incoming Eighth at Irons 2021-2022
Welcome to our All Things Course Selection Newsletter for incoming 8th graders at Irons Junior High. Ideally, we would present this information in an in-person informational meeting. Unfortunately, with the current COVID situation, we cannot do so at this time. This newsletter contains the information that we would normally present. Please watch the brief overview video by myself welcoming you to Irons. Then review our counselor video walking you step by step through the course selection process in parent access. Along with the videos, each of our elective teachers have created to give you an overview of the course. The information will help you complete the course selection for the 2021-22 school year.
We are looking forward to working with you and your child throughout the course selection process. We are dedicated to making this a smooth and successful transition.
Should you have any questions, please reach out to us via email at email@example.com
Irons Jr. High Principal
We Are Hawks!
Meet our Counselors and Assistant Principals
- Melissa Thetford students last names A-G firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sandra Mikush students last names H-N email@example.com
- Cindy Burgess students last names O-Z firstname.lastname@example.org
Details of how to complete course selection in Parent Access Center
Student Course Selection
Course Selection Due 2/12/21
Should I Take Honors Courses?
- Honors courses taught at Irons, ORHS 9th, and ORHS prepare students to be successful in Advanced Placement, Dual Credit courses, and beyond.
- Higher expectation of students
- May move at a quicker pace than regular courses
- Be wise in making course choices for your child based on his/her unique characteristics
Required Courses 8th Grade
- Language Arts - (2 Semesters)
- Mathematics - (2 Semesters)
- Science - (2 Semesters)
- US History - (2 Semesters)
- Physical Education - (1 Semester)
- Electives - 5 (Semester)*
English Language Arts 8th Grade
English Language Arts
Honors ELA students have a summer reading requirement
Honors ELA will have more in-depth material with an expectation of a quick pace through independent work.
Science 8th Grade
This course is designed to prepare students for subsequent Honors and Advanced Placement courses in Science.
Independent Study Project is required: Students have three option
Science Fair Project (traditional testable hypothesis)
Engineering Design Competition (partner required, design, build drivable robot)
Sci Stories (research, video documentary creation, website design and creation)
All options are research based endeavors
Time commitment outside of school is approximately 38 hours of preparation
Science Fair is traditionally on a Friday in Jan/Feb
EDC is traditionally on a Saturday in February
Sci Stories is a campus based competition with only 10 advancing to regionals
US History 8th Grade
Honors US History
This course is designed to prepare students for subsequent Honors and Advanced Placement courses in Social Studies.
The curriculum focuses on critical thinking, application of concepts, and strategies for analyzing primary sources.
Development of writing skills is emphasized to promote success on Free Response Questions and Document Based Questions in AP Social Studies courses.
Math 8th Grade
8th Grade Pre-Algebra
Algebra I Honors*
Special Populations Success
- All means All
- Our staff works diligently to know, encourage, and understand all of our student populations
- We have students in special populations in all levels of academic classes
- Intermediate campuses deliver all sixth grade student records to Irons at end of year
- Irons teachers receive accommodations for students in Special Education, Section 504, and English as a Second Language
Homework at Irons
- Time varies widely among students to complete assignments. However,
- Effectiveness of your child’s study strategies
- How much time is it going to take for your child to complete work outside of school for him/her to achieve the grade you want them to achieve in the course?
- Consider activities outside of school such as Dance, Gymnastics, Baseball, Swimming, etc.
- There is homework in our regular classes albeit less than in Honors classes
- Homework demands increase greatly in high school and college
- Students at Irons report an average of 30 minutes per night spent on homework.
Elective Videos and Websites
You can click on the grey bars below to play the videos or visit the website
All Things Irons Cheerleading. For more information contact Coach Neal at email@example.com
All Things Irons Dance. For more information contact Coach Bachman at firstname.lastname@example.org
All Things Theatre. For more information contact Mr. Shafer at email@example.com