Upper Dublin in Review...
Legislative Meeting Briefs - May 2019
President's Welcome and Reports to the Board of School Directors
- President's Welcome - Dr. Levinowitz called the meeting to order and welcomed the student athletes receiving recognition during the evening.
- Superintendent's Report - Dr. Yanni presented his monthly Superintendent's Report, which focused on congratulating students in academics and athletics, equity, cyber school funding and community advocacy for public education, Sandy Run Middle School project bids and project timeline, Outstanding Student Upper Dublin Medal winners, and Strategic Action Planning. Please click here to read Dr. Yanni's full report.
- Winter & Spring Student Athlete Recognition - Awards were presented to Suburban I American Conference Champion student athletes and coaches! Please click here to see the program that includes all of the students who were recognized.
- Expenditures - Ms. Brenda Jones Bray, Chief Financial Officer, presented a status update on the SY 2019-2020 budget. Click here to view the presentation.
The first community input period is limited to presentation and action items only. The following topics were discussed by meeting attendees during the first community input period:
- There were no comments from the community regarding presentations or action items.
Education Committee (Curriculum, Technology, and Pupil Services) Recommendations
- Curriculum - The Board reviewed the monthly enrollment report and then approved the following actions: Instructional Leadership Academy, course cancellations at UDHS, and a professional conference.
- Technology - The Board approved the renewal of the following software licenses: Schoology and Hapara Teacher Dashboard. The Board also approved/renewed the Cisco SMARTnet subscription for wireless controller, Gateway switches, and an Advance Protection Plan.
- Pupil Services - The Board approved a service agreement for Speech and Occupational Therapy, ACCESS billing services provided by the Montgomery County Intermediate Unit, Pool Counsel Consultation Services and Special Education representation agreement with Sweet, Stevens, Katz & Williams. The Board also approved a Lakeside School agreement for the 2019-2020 school year, and three educational agreements.
Operations Committee Recommendations
- Routine Matters - The Board approved the disposal of excess, obsolete, and non-repairable equipment.
- Other Approvals - The Board also approved: Upper Dublin High School Classroom AV Refresh, the acceptance of the ACE Grant, additional surveying services for the new SRMS, design and bidding services for hazardous material removal at SRMS, and the construction of an accessory building at the District Administration Center.
Finance Committee Recommendations
- Routine Matters - The Board approved routines matters such as the review of the treasurer's report and payments of bills.
- Other Matters - The Board also approved budgetary transfers, commitment to Health Insurance Stabilization Fund, Frontline Time and Attendance Software, an appraisal services agreement, an assessment appeal Settlement Agreement for 2101 Welsh Road, and the proposed final budget for SY 2019-2020. Work will continue on the budget until it is adopted in June 2019.
Personnel Committee Recommendations
- Routine Matters - The Board approved the personnel report, inclusive of appointments, resignations, leaves of absences, changes of status, summer school staff, and extra-curricular appointments.
- Other Matters - The Board approved a contract with Insight Workforce Solutions, LLC for Substitute Services for the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 school years, as well as the Compensation Plans for Administrative Secretaries/Service Personnel, Operational/Maintenance/Transportation Supervisors, Cafeteria/Playground Assistants, Security Supervisors, Technology Technicians, Food Service Managers, and Food Service General Workers.
Policy Committee Recommendations
Policy and Administrative Regulations Approvals - The Board approved the following:
- Freedom of Speech in Nonschool Settings (320)
- Political Activities (321)
- Gifts and Discounts (322) - Policy and Administrative Regulation
Affirmation of First Readings - The Board affirmed a first reading of the following policies:
- Student Athletics (123)
- Homework (130)
- Conflicts of Interest (360)
- Sabbatical Leaves and Other Compensated Professional Leaves (338)
Work continues on merging policies from the 300s, 400s, and 500s series into one set of policies.
In Other Business...
- Liaison Committee Reports - Board members provided reports on upcoming meetings.
- Solicitor's Report - Mr. Diasio reported that the Board met in Executive Session to discuss personnel matters, assessments, and litigation.
Community Input and Follow-Up Comments
The following topics were discussed by meeting attendees during the second community input period:
- Proposed Final Budget
- Religious symbols