Edison Middle Learning Center
Eagle Pride Newsletter
May 15, 2016
Teachers affect eternity; no one can tell where their influence stops. ~Henry Brooks Adams
A Message from the Principal
The long week of testing is over! Thanks for providing a good testing environment. I look forward to seeing student growth. Next up, ACPs! This year’s ACP days will be a little different from prior years. In prior years we tested 2 periods per day and dismissed students each day soon after the second ACP. This year the state has said if we do that Dallas ISD will not meet the state mandatory instructional days. That means students will be released at the regular dismissal time. We will really have to be creative each day after testing to maintain class and school management. I will be meeting with school leaders to come up with some creative instructional ways to engage students after testing. Email me your ideas.
Some plan reminders for the rest of the school year:
- Stand in the hall on the black line and use positive narratives
- Keep students in class (First and last 10 minutes; use official hall pass)
- Prior to submitting classroom disruption referrals (Implement steps for de-escalation, assign classroom consequences, use red card for immediate support)
- Two days per week teachers will use PLC to help sweep the halls after passing period (Monday- Electives/Social Studies, Tuesday- Math/Science, Wednesday, ELA/Social Studies &, Thursday- Science/Math, Friday- Electives/ELA).
- Dress code will be address as needed.
Remember EAGLE PRIDE is a state of mind!
Mr. Futral's Class Field Trip
Our class took a trip to Sam’s Club in Garland to shop for our FLS staff snack store. We also ate lunch at the Sam’s Café. The students rode four buses and two trains.
It was an excellent Community based learning experience.
Pinkston Collegiate Academy Acceptance Letter Recipients
Testing Center Update
Thank you all for a GREAT STAAR Testing Week! I really appreciate everyone's contribution to making our STAAR week a success. Results from the 8th Grade Math/Reading Retest will be in May 31, 2016. All other STAAR test results will be in June 15, 2016.
Keep in mind that 6th/7th Grade Math and Reading courses, as well as 8th Grade Science and Social Studies courses will not have an ACP. Therefore, we will need "Teacher Made ACPS" for these courses. The deadline for submitting these was Friday, May 13, 2016. If your team has not submitted a TMT for your Grade Level Course, please do so ASAP.
- Performance ACP Art May 16-22, 2016
- Spring ACP May 27-June 2, 2016
- ACP Schedule:
May 27, 2016 1st & 2nd Period ACP (8:35-12:40), then 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th period
May 31, 2016 3rd & 4th Period ACP (8:35-12:40) then 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th period
June 1, 2016 5th & 6th Period ACP (8:35-12:40) then early dismissal
June 2, 2016 7th & 8th Period ACP (8:35-12:40) then early dismissal