We Are Family - February 22, 2021
It is hard to believe, but Lent starts next week. I would encourage you to set aside time, individually or as a family, to celebrate this season. The United States Catholic Conference of Bishops provides this worthwhile reflection on celebrating Lent. You are welcome to join us for Ash Wednesday and Friday evening Stations of the Cross (see below).
Lent marks a time of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving. Our students will experience opportunities for prayer with Eucharistic Adoration and the Way of the Cross. Catholic students in grades 3-8 will celebrate the sacrament of reconciliation. Lent is a time for a renewal of faith as we focus on Christ.
An updated Financial Aid FAQs is at the end of the newsletter. This document has updated income limits for next year's Choice scholarships. The application window opens on March 1st and I can begin processing paperwork at that time.
Janet Abdoulaye, Principal
2:50 PM Release
Mass hosted by 2H at 8:45 AM. Livestream available on our YouTube Channel.
- Spiritwear tops with uniform pants or spirit wear bottoms
Celebrate Lent at Saint Susanna
There are many interesting opportunities coming up for our students...no experience necessary. It's a great time to try a new activity or continue in an already loved one:
- St. Susanna Middle School Golf Team - we are looking for a few more members to join this year's golf team. Contact Mrs. Weaver at firstname.lastname@example.org asap to join
- West Deanery Middle School Tennis League - Cathy Rubey from Central Indiana Tennis received a grant to start a local tennis league. See below for more information.
- Westside Bowling League for Grades 5-8 - Westside bowling coaches are forming a middle school league. See below for more information.
- Plainfield Optimist Girls Softball Ages 5 and Up - See below for information on girls' softball. This is open to all of our Saint Susanna girls.
Signature Event 2022: The Roaring Twenties
Tickets will be going on sale after Mass starting this weekend for our annual St. Susanna Signature Event which will be held Saturday March 5, 2022 from 6:30 PM to 10 PM, at Embassy Suites Convention Center in Plainfield. We have also sent home an order form via backpack mail that you can return with your order and payment. Need another? There is a form linked at the bottom of the Monday Memo!
This years’ theme is the Roaring 20s and all are encouraged to come dressed as your favorite Flappers and Gents! It is sure to be a memorable event! Each ticket provides the holder with dinner, reserved seating, access to the silent auction items, dancing, and an entry for the $5,000 raffle prize.
As stated in previous communications, this is our schools biggest fundraiser. In order for this to continue to be a successful event we need all families involved. All proceeds from this event benefit our children directly. Big or small, your help and generosity is very much appreciated. Regardless if you’re unable to attend in person the night of the event, you can help contribute in many ways:
- Volunteer to chair/co-chair a few committees
- Help is needed to sell tickets after upcoming masses. For more information and to sign up, please visit https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f044aa9ab2ca0ff2-signature
- Volunteer leading up to and on the night of the event
- Donation of a themed basket for Silent Auction
- Do you work for or have your own business that would be willing to sponsor the event or donate a service/time/item?
- Do you have a special skill such as jewelry making, handmade items, cooking, teaching dance, yoga, exercise, etc? We would love to highlight what gifted and talented people we have here at St. Susanna!
If you have questions, need items picked up, donation/sponsorship letters please contact the committee at email@example.com
Signature Event Child Care at the Flip Zone
West Deanery Tennis League
Indiana Middle School Bowling - Grades 5th - 8th
Spring 2022 Girls Softball
- Login to your FACTS account.
- Click on "View Details" next to the heading Payment Plan and Billing.
- Click on "View Payment Summary" and ensure that you have the year 2021 in the drop down menu.
- Print this sheet. This will show totals paid per child and category and has our Federal Tax ID number on it.
Cardinal Ritter High School - Bus Schedule Fall 2022
Come out and support our Lady Spartans at their home volleyball games this season!
Wednesday, Feb. 23
- 6:15pm: 4th vs St. Charles
- 7:00pm: 56A vs St. Malachy
- 7:45pm: Cadet A vs Christ the King
Thursday, Feb. 24
- 7:00pm: Cadet A vs Holy Spirit
Thursday, March 3
- 6:15pm: Cadet A vs Holy Name
The service hour tracking form can be found here and a copy will be sent home in the back-to-school packets. We ask that each family complete five service hours this school year. These hours can be completed during school or parish events.
2022-2023 Calendar Dates
First Day of School: Tuesday, August 9, 2022
Labor Day: September 5th
Fall Break: October 10th - 14th (2nd full week of October)*
Thanksgiving: November 23rd – 27th
Christmas Break: Friday, December 23 – Sunday, January 8th
Dr. King Holiday: Monday, January 16th
Presidents Day: February 20th
Spring Break: March 27th -31st
Easter Monday: April 10th
Last Day of School: Thursday, May 25, 2023
*Thank you to all who participated in the fall break survey. More families indicated a preference for the second week of October for fall break by a narrow margin. I have changed the date accordingly.
Inclement Weather - School Closings and Delays
- Our communication system which will call, text, and email the parents and guardians listed in our student information system.
- Our social media pages
- Major local television news programs
In the event of a two-hour delay, parents will be notified by the same method. On a two-hour delay, morning care opens at 9:00 AM, drop-off begins at 10:00 AM, and school starts at 10:20 AM. Breakfast will NOT be served on two-hour delay days as we have lunch periods that start at 11:00 AM.
Special notes for our preschool/prekindergarten classes: In the event of a school cancelation for weather, these students will not be expected to complete remote work. In the event of a two-hour delay, there will be no classes for our half-day preschool/prek students.
I sent out a test text message in January. If you did not receive it, it means that you have not opted in to text messaging from Saint Susanna. To opt in, please text YES to 87569. You will then receive future text messages from us. I use these very sparingly to communicate issues of an immediate nature such as school delays and closings..
Students may be referred to Ms. Evans by teachers or the principal for a one-time visit. After that, parents must complete an consent form for continued visits. The consent form is available at the end of the Monday Memo or in the school office. You can reach Ms. Evans directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Easy Fund-Raising for Saint Susanna Catholic School!
Box Tops for Education
Here’s how it works:
- Step 1: Download the new Box Tops App (iTunes or Google Play) – it’s free
- Step 2: Create a username and connect it to your child’s school
- Step 3: Scan your grocery store receipt. Items with the new Box Tops label will be automatically credited to your school
Does this mean I should stop sending in my paper Box Tops that I have already clipped? No! Continue to send those to the school!
Kroger Community Rewards
Information on the Kroger Community Rewards program can be found here on their website or under the "rewards" tab in your Kroger app. You will need to search for the exact name of our organization as SAINT SUSANNAS SCHOOL PTP . From there, you can link your Kroger card with our organization and a portion of your spending at Kroger will come to us.
St. Susanna Catholic School's mission is to provide a Christ-centered, quality education that prepares and inspires its students to excel as they progress in their scholastic careers. Based on Catholic teachings, our students and staff exemplify the value of faith, service, love, and respect in all situations and with all people.