By: Cole FOster
1. It facilitate long distance travel and transport of bulky goods which are not easily transported through motor vehicles.
2. It is a quick and more regular form of transport because it helps in the transportation of goods with speed and certainty.
3. The carrying capacity of the railways is extremely large. Moreover, its capacity is elastic which can easily be increased by adding more wagons.
4. Railway is the safest form of transport. The chances of accidents and breakdown of railways are minimum as compared to other modes of transport. Moreover, the traffic can be protected from the exposure to sun, rain snow etc.
2. The railroad doesn't have very good flexibility because its timing and routes don't meet individual requirements.
3.It involves a lot of time and labor in booking and taking delivery goods through railroads as compared to motor transportation.
4. Railway transport is unsuitable for short distance and small loads.
The railroad was first developed in Great Britain. A man named George Stephenson successfully applied the steam technology of the day and created the world's first successful locomotive. The first engines used in the United States were purchased from the Stephenson Works in England.