Kickemuit Middle School
Husky Highlights: February 3, 2020
Hello KMS Families!
Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow which means that -- according to legend -- an early spring is on the way! We are also on 93rd day of school so we are more than half way through the year!
Please review the information below and let us know if you have any questions.
Your KMS Administration Team
Dr. Rosemary Burns | Grade 8 Administrator
Mr. David Patota | Grade 7 Administrator
Mrs. Michelle Clifford | Grade 6 Administrator
Mr. Frank DeVall Jr. | Dean of Students
List of Information & Reminders included in this Newsletter
- Congratulations KMS Wrestling!!
- Save those Memories! Order your KMS 2020 Yearbook Today!
- District Spelling Bee Info
- Math Tutoring starts Tuesday!
- Masquers | Rehearsals!
- Science Olympiad This Week & Congratulations!
- STAAND Meeting | February 11th
- Coding Club on Wednesday!
"Beyond the Bag" Plastic Recycling Competition
- KMS PTO Updates- FEBRUARY DATE Change
- School Store: Now open every other on Fridays!
- Athletics Updates | Spring Sports
- NJHS | Induction meeting & Ceremony Info
- Valentine's Dance | Save the Date ~ Looking for Chaperones!
- International Moms Tea Time | You're Invited to Afternoon Tea!
- Recycle your gently used | Middle School Level | Books to the KMS Reading Dept!
- Influenza on the rise | Notes from Nurse Welchman
- Caffeine & Conversations Session 2 | February 12th
- PPAC Art Scholarship | Deadline February 28th
- Bee Amazed at the 12th Annual Bee!
- Bristol Theatre Company presents: Disney's Frozen Jr
- Bristol Youth Flag Football open to K-6 Girls and Boys: NEW DATES
- Yoga for Teens! | Bristol Parks & Rec.
1. Congratulations to the KMS Wrestlers, Coach Grifka & Coach Martel on a great season!
88 Andrew McCarthy
94 Elijah bland
3. BWRSD Spelling Bee | Next this week!
4. The Math Tutor Program
5. Masquers | Rehearsal Dates
Here is the rehearsal schedule for this week:
All rehearsals will take place from 2 - 4 in Auditorium
Mon 2/3: General Rehearsal
Tues 2/4: work on MUSIC & CREW meeting from 2 - 3
Wed 2/5: DANCE work possible & General Rehearsal if not
Thur 2/6: General Rehearsal
Fri 2/7: DANCE Audition & MUSIC work
6. Science Olympiad Meetings | Now on Wednesdays & Thursdays
We earned a silver medal at Harvard! F.S. and Clara Conterio won second place in the event Elastic Launched Glider. They had to build a super light-weight glider and design it to fly in large circles once launched into the air using a slingshot-like device. It is fascinating to watch!
9. "Beyond the Bag" Plastic Recycling Competition | A Win-Win-Win Situation!
A WIN-WIN-WIN SITUATION
When you donate your unwanted plastic materials to KMS not only are you helping to keep thousands of pounds of waste out of landfills, you're also helping us to continue to create beautiful and environmentally responsible outdoor products.
Drop off bins in the front foyer | Contact - Molly.Scarborough@bwrsd.org with questions
11. Reminder: School Store open on Fridays during lunch!
12. KMS Athletics | Spring Sports Registration NOW OPEN!
Spring Sports Registration NOW Open until February 23rd
Spring Season Begins March 2, 2020
Spring Sports offered: Baseball, Softball, Boys & Girls Track, Club Lacrosse & Intramural Tennis/Volleyball
- Club LAX is run by the Parent Group & requires special insurance that can be purchased at USlacrosse.org.
- Baseball/Softball fields open as early as April 1st. Practices are at Colt State Park once the fields are open, from 2:30-4:30PM
- Registration is done through Family ID (link will become active on 1/13/20)
- All schedules will be on RIPCOA.Org or Mthopehuskies.com closer to the start of the season.
- All students must have be signed up on Family ID, have a RIPCOA risk form and current physical on file with the nurse in order to participate or try out.
13. National Junior Honor Society Induction Meeting & Ceremony!
National Junior Honor Society Meeting
ALL OFFICERS & INDUCTEES
Monday, February 3rd @ 2PM
nduction Ceremony will be held on February 12th 6:00pm- 7:30pm- Save the Date
The ceremony will take place in the auditorium with refreshments in the cafeteria to follow.
15. International Moms Tea Time | You're Invited
You are invited for afternoon tea with Ms. Ramirez in Room 215 at Kickemuit Middle School. Come and meet KMS moms from other countries! Learn about some of the amazing cultures that make up the KMS family. Please click the button below, fill out the form & return the bottom part.
16. Recycle your gently used | Middle School Level | Books to the KMS Reading Dept!
17. Influenza on the rise | Notes from Nurse Welchman
To better understand when and where influenza activity is occurring, to monitor influenza-related illness, outbreaks, hospitalizations, and to determine circulating and emerging influenza virus strains please contact the School Nurse if your child has the flu and/or tests positive for the flu.
Thank you for your attention to this important health announcement.
Questions or concerns you can contact me @ 401-245-2010 Ext 2009
Erin Welchman M.Ed, BSN, RN, RICSNT
Kickemuit Middle School
525 Child Street
Warren, RI 02885
Tel. 401-245-2010 Ext 2009
18. Caffeine & Conversations Session 2
If you would like to attend, please call or email Melissa Benevides at 401-245-2010 x2006 or firstname.lastname@example.org
19. PPAC Art Scholarship | Deadline February 28th
2020 ARTS SCHOLARSHIPS APPLICATIONS ARE NOW AVAILABLE!!
The Providence Performing Arts Center’s Community Outreach Committee is requesting applications to the 2020 ARTS Scholarships program. The ARTS Scholarships program, sponsored by The Textron Charitable Trust and PPAC’s Annual Fund donors with support from Ocean State Charities Trust, awards up to $500 in financial assistance to each of 30 winning Rhode Island students (15 from Providence, 15 from other Rhode Island communities) for summer arts education programs.
To be eligible, a student must:
- be aged 11 - 14 by June 1, 2020
- reside in and attend school in Rhode Island
- demonstrate artistic ability and interest
- demonstrate financial need
- submit a completed application
All applications must be filled out completely and correctly, signed by the student, the parent or guardian, and the student’s sponsor and submitted with supporting materials no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, February 28, 2020.
Applications, guidelines, and summer arts program lists are available through the links below or can be picked up at the PPAC Administrative Office at 220 Weybosset Street, 2nd Floor, Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. For questions or further information, contact Cynthia Goldsmith at 401-574-3105.
Need more information or Spanish translations: https://www.ppacri.org/outreach/arts-scholarship
Summer Art Programs 2020: https://www.ppacri.org/assets/doc/Summer-Arts-Programs-List-2020-2489a03b71.pdf
20. Bee Amazed at the 12th Annual Bee!
21. Bristol Theatre Co. presents Disney's Frozen Jr.
The Bristol Theatre Company production of Disney Frozen Jr.
Based on the Disney film written by Jennifer Lee and directed by Chris Buck & Jennifer Lee
For more information: Click on the flyer Image to the right!
Tickets Available Online https://btc-frozenjr.brownpapertickets.com/
February 6 @ 7:00pm
February 7 @ 7:00pm
February 8 @ 2:00pm and 7:00pm
February 9 @ 2:00pm