August 29, 2021
Dear Westwood Students, Parents, and Guardians,
On behalf of the staff at Westwood High School, I am happy to welcome you to the 2021-22 school year! We are looking forward to a productive partnership with you to ensure our children can achieve their highest potential. We recognize that in order to be successful in school, our children need support from both the home and school. We know a strong partnership with you will make a great difference in your child’s education. As partners, we share the responsibility for our children’s success and want you to know that we will do our very best to carry out our responsibilities. We ask that you guide and support your child’s learning by ensuring that he/she:
- Attends school daily and arrives on time, ready for the day’s learning experience
- Completes all homework assignments given by teachers
- Reads daily to develop a love for reading and to improve literacy skills
- Shares school experiences with you so that you are aware of his/her school life
- Informs you if he/she needs additional support in any area or subject
- Knows that you expect him/her to succeed in school
I am pleased to report there will be no special pandemic restrictions for the beginning of our 2021/2022 academic year. We will continue to monitor the situation, but for now, we will resume our normal pre-COVID operations. Please check your email for additional updates, including the Westwood Weekly Newsletter, which goes out each Sunday at noon.
The wonderful Westwood High School staff and I feel privileged to be a part of this school family. We thank you for your support and look forward to being your partner in your child’s education.
All my best,
Schedule - First Week of School
- Monday, August 30 - WHS Open House, 6-7 p.m.
- Tuesday, August 31st and Wednesday, September 1st are full days, beginning at 8:05 a.m. and ending at 3:00 p.m.
- Thursday, September 2nd is a half-day for students, beginning at 8:05 a.m. and ending at 11:45 a.m.
- No school Friday, September 3rd.
- Back to school on Tuesday, September 7th.
Half-Day Schedule (we will use this schedule for all half days and early release days)
1st hr 8:05 a.m. – 8:35 a.m.
2nd hr 8:40 a.m. – 9:10 a.m.
3rd hr 9:15 a.m. – 9:45 a.m.
4th hr 9:50 a.m. – 10:15 a.m.
5th hr 10:20 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.
6th hr 10:50 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
7th hr 11:20 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
Mrs. Maki - HS Office
Ms. Schmidt - HS Office/Athletics
Mrs. Halamka - School Counselor
Ms. Leroy - Media Center
Ms. Dieterle - School Social Worker
Mr. Corcoran - Patriot Academy
Westwood High School - 906.485.1023
New Staff Update
As a result of his departure, we will not be able to offer Outdoor Adventure this fall. We plan to revisit offering the course in the future.
Luke Gray will be taking over for Mr. Rutter this fall. Luke did his student teaching here last winter, coaches football and basketball in the district, and is a Westwood grad. Please welcome him to our team and support him when you are able.
In addition, Courtney Stone will be student teaching with Mrs. Young and Mrs. Taavola. Courtney is an NMU student and we are very excited to have her in the building this semester. Please welcome her as well.