Welcome to the BHS Express
A newsletter keeping you informed about Batavia High School
November 18, 2022
Andrea Conner, BHS Principal
Hello Bulldog Families.
The weather is reminding us that the winter season is coming quickly and that we all need to make sure the winter coats, sweaters and sweatshirts are ready to go. This week, we’ve watched our high school students transition from shorts to sweats while a few decided they were going to hold on to summer as long as they can! Although I know our young people handle the cold better than we do, we encourage all of our students to dress warmly as the building temperatures are a bit uncertain from time-to-time.
While spending some time in classrooms this week, I’m watching our teachers continue to motivate students who are starting to watch the calendar! The Thanksgiving break, although needed for everyone, can be a little disruptive to students. Make sure you encourage them to finish strong! When we return on November 28, there will be 18 days left in the quarter. If you need any assistance in checking your student’s grades, please reach out. We would be happy to help you!
We are working collaboratively with our BHS PTO for the Texas Roadhouse Fundraiser. Please consider supporting us by purchasing gift cards for any upcoming gift giving celebrations! The money goes to support our students and staff.
Next week, school will be in session on Monday, November 21 and Tuesday, November 22. We will not be sending a weekly BHS Express. The next edition will come out on Friday, December 2, 2022.
Have a wonderful weekend.
In service to our Bulldogs.
Andrea Conner, High School Principal
Staff Shout Out
BHS Spanish Teacher Kevin Scheel Demonstrates Service in the Cafeteria
High School Spanish teacher, Kevin Scheel, jumped into the serving line on Thursday for the BHS Thanksgiving meal. As this is one of the busiest days in the cafeteria with almost every student purchasing lunch, extra hands are always needed! Not only did Mr. Scheel serve in the line, he also hand delivered many meals to staff members who stepped away to allow all of our students to enjoy the wonderful feast prepared by our cafeteria staff! BHS is fortunate to have staff members who are servant leaders and enjoy being with our students every day. Thank you, Mr. Scheel.
BHS Teacher Kevin Scheel delivers Thanksgiving lunch to Social Studies Teacher Amber Kelley
PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING
- As the weather is starting to fluctuate outside, so does the high school building. Please make sure your student is dressing in layers as we can’t guarantee consistent temperatures throughout. We are seeing an increase in students carrying blankets. Please encourage your students to keep them at home and wear a hoodie or sweatshirt.
- 2022 Yearbooks Distribution Information:
- After/during November: Ship out the rest of the yearbooks
- Substitutes will be allowed to pick up books for others provided they have written confirmation (an email from the graduate or an email to Mr. Mills from the graduate) or verbal confirmation (graduate indicates approval over the phone during pickup)
UPCOMING IMPORTANT UPDATES
November 9 - 30, 2022: PTO Texas Roadhouse Fundraiser; students in the winning 5th period receive an ice cream party
November 22, 2022: Last day before Thanksgiving break
November 28, 2022: Student first day after Thanksgiving break
End of Course for Retakes:
November 29, 2022: Geometry
November 30, 2022: U.S. History
December 1, 2022: ELA II Part I
December 2, 2022: ELA II part 2
December 5, 2022: Biology Part 1
December 6, 2022: Biology Part 2
December 7, 2022: Algebra I Part 1
December 8, 2022: Algebra 1 Part 2
December 9, 2022: EOC Retakes Make ups
December 12, 2022: EOC Retakes Make ups
December 13, 2022: EOC Government
December 14-16, 2022: Any remaining make ups
December 7, 2022: HS Choir Concert at Batavia Elementary - 6:00 p.m.- 8:00 p.m.
December 12, 2022: HS Band Concert at Batavia High School - 6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m.
December 20-22, 2022: High School Exam Schedule. More details to follow.
December 22 - January 2, 2023: Winter Break
January 3, 2023: First Day of Quarter 3
January 7, 2023: U.C. Mock Trial Invitational
January 13, 2023: Sophomore visit to Live Oaks
January 14, 2023: OSU Mock Trial Invitational
January 16, 2023: No School: MLK Holiday
January 21, 2023: BPA Regional Competition
January 25, 2023: BPA Region 13 Conference and Awards
INFORMATION FROM THE BHS GUIDANCE DEPARTMENT
Check out the Batavia High School Guidance Counselor website.
Your Guidance Counselors are:
9th - 12th Grade Counselor A-L
(513) 732-2341 ext: 7037
(513) 732-2341 ext: 7036
- Hope Squad sponsors Therapy Pets before Exams in December
- We know that semester exams and the Holidays can be stressful. Volunteers from Pets Partners of Greater Cincinnati will be here at BHS in December!
- Students will have an opportunity to spend time with with the therapy pets, their handlers and learn their stories
- More details will be announced at school in early December
- Great Oaks Career Centers
- Great Oaks specializes in career and technical education for both high school students and adults. At four campuses, Great Oaks high school students prepare for careers and college, with over 30 career programs available. Great Oaks will visit BHS to present to our 10th grade students on December 14th. In January, 10th grade students will go for a visit to Live Oaks or Scarlet Oaks, depending on the program of interest. Online applications need to be submitted by February 7, 2023 for priority consideration. Additional information about Great Oaks and program options can be found at this link: Great Oaks Career Centers
BATAVIA HIGH SCHOOL OFFICE CONTACTS
513-732-2341, ext. 7051
Matt Buis, Assistant Principal
513-732-2341, ext. 7052
Melissa Anstaett, Administrative Assistant
513-732-2341, ext. 7055
Edie Strine, Administrative Assistant
513-732-2341, ext. 7054
If your student is absent, call
513-732-2341 and leave a message on the attendance line