October Edition (Volume 128, Issue 3)
Transition Back to All Students Attending 5 Days/Week
On Monday, October 12, we will transition back to all students attending NCC five days/week. We are excited about having all the students back on campus but also realize that we need to be extra vigilant in following the guidance listed in the School Reopening Plan.
The school day will continue to be as follows:
TK - 3 --> 8:20 - 2:00
4 - 8 --> 8:20 - 2:30
In addition, through this year only, each Wednesday will be a minimum day with students in TK-3 dismissed at 12:25 and students in 4-8 dismissed at 12:35. All other minimum days have been cancelled except for parent conferences (October 26-30) and June 2-3. You can view the revised calendar at the link below or on our website HERE.
A couple of requests as we transition to the return of all students:
- For drop-off and pick-up, please remain in your car and don't walk up to the fence.
- During pick-up, you are welcome to stand outside your car, or walk down to the front of the car lane, if you child is not able to see you. If you generally park in another location (on the dirt in front of the solar panels), please remain near your car and wave to your child.
- If you are visiting the office or on campus, please wear your face covering and practice social distancing.
- The earliest we can have students dropped off is 7:45 am.
- After school care is limited. Please call the office to see if their is room or for more information.
As we enter the flu and cold season we are anticipating an increase in student illness. This, coupled with the fear of spreading the COVID-19 virus, is creating some concern for students, staff, and parents. We have been working with our school nurse and the Shasta County Health Department to follow a consistent set of procedures when a student is ill.
- If your student has a temperature or a persistent health condition (i.e. fatigue, cough, sore throat, etc. -- see the attached) we ask they remain home. If at school, they will be sent home.
- Unless we can document and confirm the symptoms are not COVID-related, the student will need to remain at home for 10 days unless the parent can secure a negative COVID test or bring in a note from the doctor stating it is OK for the student to return to school. Even with a doctor's note students must be fever-free and symptom for at least 24 hours before returning to school. Your child's doctor should also be the individual who should be utilized to schedule a COVID test.
We understand this is very difficult. However, these extra precautions (also being followed countywide) are necessary as we do everything we can to keep school open. Our staff will provide work for the students while they are at home during this period and the student's attendance record will not be negatively impacted.
To help get your child back in school as quickly as possible, we recommend scheduling a doctor's visit if you child has a fever and/or COVID symptoms rather than waiting.
Information has also been provided below regarding individuals getting the flue shots.
Parent conferences are coming up October 26-30. Parent conferences are designed for the parent and teacher to discuss the progress and needs of the student. Conferences are scheduled for all students TK-6 and at the request of the parent or teacher for students in grades 7-8.
Parent conference may be held virtually or in person this year. Each classroom teacher will be working with their parents to develop a schedule.
EdFoundation Information & Meeting
The North Cow Creek Education Foundation is a nonprofit organization devoted to supporting the programs and needs of school students, staff, and parents. Monies raised by the EdFoundation are utilized to augment extracurricular materials and provide activities that encourage our families to grow together as a community.
The EdFoundation will be meeting again on Wednesday, October 7th, at 6:30 pm.
All parents and community members are invited to attend the monthly meetings and events. We do ask that parents complete a membership form in order to participate in the decision-making process of the EdFoundation. A brochure and membership form is below or available in the school office.
Board Meeting Information
Business conducted during the last Board Meeting:
- Provided direction to bring all students back on a regular schedule five days/week.
- Heard public comment on the Learning Continuity and Attendance Plan.
- Approved the 19/20 closing of the financial books.
- Approved moving Lincoln's Birthday to February 16th for the February week off.
Business to be conducted at the upcoming Board Meeting (October 20 @ 7:00 pm at NCC)
- Update on COVID-19 and the Return to School Plan.
- Approval of scheduling for the Annual Organization of the Board (held in December).
- First read of Board Policies to be revised/updated.
- Approval of the increase to substitute teacher pay (increased from $120 - $135)
- Superintendent/Principal's Goals (during closed session)
Resources for Parents
Parents with students in grades 4-8 may use the link above to access the student information portal. Not much to see just yet. However, it would be great if parents can make sure their login works.