The Family Zone
Lectionary-Based Playlist /Issue 29/October 18, 2020
I am the LORD and there is no other, there is no God besides me.
Choose one or two items from this playlist to help your family focus on the first commandment, your love of God and prayers of praise!
SUNDAY READINGS: https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings/101820.cfm
- "Just in Case you Ever Wonder" by Max Lucado
- "God is" by Caroline Peters
- "God is Always With Me: Psalm 139" by Dandi Daley MacKall
- "Tales of the Ten Commandments" by Jared Dees for a free sample, follow this link: http://jareddees.com/tencommandments/
This article from the Decatur religion column helps us to consider what other gods we worship in modern day. This makes for a great family conversation with teens!
Article for Teens: To consider how social media acts as a false god in your life; this article is for older teens or for teens and parents to read and discuss together: https://pepperdine-graphic.com/worshipping-false-idols-social-media-and-body-image/
- Make a list of all the things in your life that takes your focus off of God
- Can you write the Ten Commandments in your own words and give examples of how we might honor or disobey each one?
- Fall is a great time to notice the wonder of God's creation. Write a poem or prayer in praise of creation.
- Try these worksheets about Stewardship:
- Read Psalm 145 Together; it is a Psalm of Praise. After reading it aloud, reflect on your own words of Praise for your creator!
- The MAGNIFICAT is a prayer of praise to God that Mary recited to her cousin Elizabeth about the gift of becoming the mother of Jesus. https://www.ewtn.com/catholicism/devotions/magnificat-392
- October is the month of the Rosary. Spend some time in quiet prayer with God by praying a rosary this week: https://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/prayers-and-devotions/rosaries/how-to-pray-the-rosary
- Pray silently as you listen to the song below:
- Give to God what is God's this week by giving back! How can you serve others? Consider gathering food, clothing or other donations for a local charity in need or contact your local shelter to see what is needed to prepare for the impending cold weather. Many organizations are already collecting for Thanksgiving and Christmas...how can you get on board?
- Do you know what God looks like? Draw your own image of God. Encourage everyone in the family to draw a picture of God and create your own God gallery!!
- Look at the changing leaves outside. Have you ever wondered how God decided to create all the beauty in the world?
- Where do you think God lives? Do you think God is only in heaven or right beside you?
- Do you think God knows when you don't honor God? How do you think God feels about that?
- Many believe that we can't give a male or female pronoun to God because God is bigger and greater than we could ever imagine; what do you think?