Oklahoma City Bombing
Haley Hagwood Current Events
What Was It?
On April 19th, 1995, a rental truck filled with explosives was parked outside the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building. The truck exploded and blew off the building's north wall. Emergency crews fled to the city and the rescue effort lasted about two weeks. One hundred and sixty eight people died during this attack, including nineteen children and six hundred and fifty were injured along with three hundred damaged or demolished buildings.
- The main suspect, Timothy McVeigh, was a former U.S. Army soldier.
- McVeigh was sentenced to the death penalty and died from lethal injection on June 11, 2001.
- Terry Nichols, an associate of McVeigh, was sentenced to prison with 161 consecutive life sentences.
- This attack happened at exactly 9:02am.
- Before the attack on 9-11, this bombing was the worst act of terrorism ever on U.S. soil.