Tiogue Faculty and Staff Bulletin
November 2, 2019 - No.10
Don't forget to set your clocks to "fall back" on Saturday night!
Please sign up for our PTA Event, Breakfast With Santa...
8:30am & 10:30am
PLU and Prof Development Site Information:
From our Coventry STAFF Website:
This page is your resource for PLU and certification information.
If you have any additional questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Coventry Educator PLU FAQs (Coming Soon)
- Educator Certification Regulation Changes (presented at CTA General Membership Meeting 3/14/19)
- Coventry Professional Learning Plan Verification Form- Educator: Use this form to keep track of contractually required PD (have administrator sign off on sessions).
- Coventry Professional Learning Plan Verification Form- Administrator: Use this form to keep track of contractually required PD (have administrator sign off on sessions).
- Coventry Session Certificate of Completion: These certificates should be provided to you at any district endorsed PD Session and submitted to your administrator as proof of your attendance so they may sign your verification form.
- Coventry PD Request Form-Fillable: Submit to your administrator for pre-approval for any PD outside of district endorsed PD (has fillable fields).
- Coventry PDF Form (PDF): Submit to your administrator for pre-approval for any PD outside of district endorsed PD (for a print and then fill in method).
Important Information at Tiogue
Hours: 8:40am - 3:10pm
Students may come to school when supervisory coverage begins at 8:20am
Dates to Remember:
-November 4 -Off-Team Mtg. PM; Flu Clinic - Coventry HS 4:00pm see information below
-November 5 - LifeTouch Picture Day - click here for schedule; PBIS Mtg., 7:45am; Unified Mtg. 7:45am, Off-team Mtg. PM; Dom at Elem Prin Mtg., 3:30pm
-November 6 - RtI/MTSS Mtg. 8am; Kindergarten Data Mtg. with Interventionists/Dom 2:15pm, Room #20; Dom at Central Office, 3:45pm
-November 7 - Team Day: please check individual Google Calendars for specific information; Unified Team Practice Day- after school
-November 8 - Sue Lyons out of building until 9:30am (Human Rights Commission Mtg.); Coventry High School OAKER MENTORS visit our students in the morning to welcome them to school!
-November 11 - No School, Veteran's Day
-November 14 - Team Day: please check individual Google Calendars for specific information
-November 21 - Team Day: please check individual Google Calendars for specific information
PTA INFORMATION and Meeting Schedule:
11/18/19 at 5:30pm
12/16/19 at 5:30pm
1/13/20 at 5:30pm
2/10/20 at 5:30pm
3/16/20 at 5:30pm
4/13/20 at 5:30pm
5/18/20 at 5:30pm
6/8/20 at 5:30pm (Last Mtg. of the year)
School Store information:
The store is open every other Wednesday during student lunch/recess times. Wed., 10/30.
Our Mission and Motto:
At Tiogue School, we believe that students can achieve their personal best and become responsible and productive citizens by embracing all learning opportunities each day.
"Everybody is somebody at Tiogue"
RICAS State Testing Information
Overall % Proficient = 47% in Reading
State avg. = 41% proficient
Overall % Proficient = 30% in Mathematics
State avg. = 32% proficient
Much like last year, if we move up a large cluster of students from the (2) range into the (3, proficient) range, our overall % of proficient students would grow tremendously.
We will be analyzing results at the Admin level over the next month and also begin to look at our school-wide & sub-category data at the building level.
For teachers in grades 3-5, please make sure that your RIDEMAP accounts are active and that you can access your scores from last year. If you are having difficulties, please let Don Cowart and Dom know.
Chromebook repair procedure:
I would like to propose the following procedure:
1. A box will be kept in the main office for CB pickups and a separate box will be kept with the principal for returns.
2. When a teacher has an issue with a CB they should open a support ticket as they normally do.
3. Teachers will be directed to bring the unit to the main office where it will be kept in the box for pickup. Devices should be labelled with a room number.
4. Mark will come by and get the device, repair it and bring it back to the school's main office and place it the box left with the principal for returns.
5. Teacher will be notified that the device is ready to pickup.
My goal is to keep Mark from having to go all the way into classrooms and disrupt teachers to pick up devices, but this will also help get devices back in the classroom faster.
Pennies for Patients info:
Dear Pennies Coordinators,
Thank you for registering your school for Student Series Pennies for Patients and Bring The Change for the 2019-2020 School year.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society has some exciting things going on in schools this upcoming year and I am looking forward to visiting with you in the near future so I can share the new benefits of our programs, including a Social and Emotional Learning component (SEL) in all of our HERO SQUAD materials.
Our STEM Curriculum now includes additional SEL activities to teach students about the importance of kindness, sharing and empathy.
This is our give back to you for participating and here is the link to get started: Stem Curriculum Link: STEM Curriculum Link and the password is LLSSTEM2020.3.
Please share this email with all your staff so they can choose STEM Lessons and Activities before, during and after your Pennies Campaign.
DEBORAH WATTERSON | Student Series Campaign Manager, RI Chapter
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society | 2346 Post Rd, Ste 202, Warwick, RI 02886
Direct Ph: 401.854.4413 | Main: 401.943.8888 x1708 | Fax: 401-943-1377
Our Nurse's Corner:
As seen in the Family Newsletter:
-We are starting our Thanksgiving food drive. Please refer to the notice that went home for what your class is collecting. Of course, donations of any non- perishable food items are welcome.
AT Coventry High School, 40 Reservoir Rd.
Register online at
Registration recommended but not required.
-Gina D'Aguano MS, MEd, RN, CSNT
Articles and other news:
Behavioral Specialist and Math Intervention Schedule:
*Kim Sturdahl will be at Tiogue Monday through Friday*
MATHEMATICS: Mary V. will be at Tiogue this upcoming week.
**Article of the week**
November 2nd: NAEP (National Assessment of Educational Progress) INFORMATION released - 'No Progress' Seen in Reading or Math on Nation's Report Card
"Over the past decade, there has been no progress in either mathematics or reading performance, and the lowest-performing students are doing worse," Peggy Carr, the associate commissioner of the National Center for Education Statistics, said of the national assessment results. Read more.
October 26th: 5 Questions to Ask Yourself About Your Unmotivated Students, from Cult of Pedagogy - this is an interesting article, but nothing that we have not thought or talked about in the past. Just makes me think, how can we connect with our students when there are so many external factors competing with us each day?
October 19th: Creating a Dysgraphia-Friendly Classroom, by EduTopia
October 12th: Phonics vs. Balanced Literacy - A Video comparison
October 5th: Addressing Persistent Defiance, by EduTopia.
September 28: Highly Rated Curricula Are Out There. Are Schools Using Them?, from EdWeek - makes me want to spend some time cross-referencing information found in EdReports and this information found w/in this article.
September 21: Can "bite-sized" Lessons Make SEL Easier to Teach? - from EdWeek
Previous Articles can be found in past newsletters