O'Maley Family Focus
September 27, 2021
Please remind students to bring masks to school!
Dear O’Maley Families,
I hope you enjoyed the lovely weather over the weekend. I have just a few short updates today for you.
Please read on and contact me at any time with questions or concerns.
Principal Lynne Beattie
Topics in this issue of Family Focus:
- Upcoming Events
- Open House Format and Requirements
- COVID-19 Updates & Weekly Testing Sign-Up
- 2-Liter Bottles needed for art
- Schoolbrains Community Portal Login instructions
- Wednesday, September 29 - 2nd Dose of vaccination for those Thursday, September 30 - 6:00-8:00 pm - O'Maley Open House
- O'Maley Academy Programming begins October 4th
- Tuesday, October 5, Early Dismissal at 11:00 am - Staff Professional development
- Monday, October 11, 2021 - No School - Indigenous People's Day
- Tuesday, October 19, 6:00-8:00 pm - Instrument Rental/Pick-Up Night in the O'Maley Cafe
- Thursday, October 21, Early Dismissal at 11:00 am - Parent Conferences 12:00-2:00 & 6:00-8:00 pm
- October 25-29 Spirit Week. Stay tuned for more info.
- October 29 - Pre-Halloween Costume Day
- Thursday, October 28, Early Dismissal at 11:00 am - Parent Conferences 12:00-2:00 pm
- Thursday, October 28, 6:00-7:00. pm - First O'Maley PTO Meeting in the O'Maley Library.
- Friday, November 11, 2021 - No School, Veterans Day
September 30 - O'Maley Open House 6:00-8:00 pm In Person - Masks Required
Students will bring copies of their schedules home on Wednesday. A copy will also be left in school, available at the front entry.
Parents/Guardians should proceed directly to their child's homeroom class. Our introductory presentations will be shown there. We will not gather as a large group in the auditorium this year. Parents/Guardians will follow students' Day 2 schedule, and additionally will see both Odd-day and Even-day specialist teachers.
Important: All individuals entering O'Maley are required to wear a face mask covering both the nose and mouth while in the building.
COVID-19 Updates & Weekly Testing Sign-Up
COVID-19 at O'Maley: Once again, there are no new cases of COVID-19 this week. Since we started school August 31st there has been a total of one case reported at O'Maley with no close contacts at school. As in the past, we will continue to contact students, families, and staff who may be close contacts in order to keep the community safe. See the new GPS COVID Dashboard for updated data each week: https://backtogether.gloucesterschools.com/updates/dashboard-covid-cases
Weekly Testing: Testing begins today, Monday, September 27th at O'Maley. Similarly to last year, students and staff will be tested with samples collected in groups of up to 10. If a sample is found to be positive, all individuals tested from that group will be notified and retested at school. Unless an individual is found to be positive, there is no need to quarantine. I encourage families to sign their children up to be tested. Individuals signed up to participate last year DO need to re-register. Parents/Guardians MUST complete the form to give permission in order for a student to be tested.
To Sign Up for Testing: Link here: https://www.cic-health.com/consent/ma?district=Gloucester
Masks & Distancing: Per the Massachusetts DESE and the Gloucester School Committee, all students and staff will be masked in GPS buildings except at lunch or mask break when they are socially distanced at 3 feet or more. Masks are not required outdoors. For details on our health and safety protocols district wide, please visit the GPS COVID Guidance and Updates website at https://backtogether.gloucesterschools.com/.
Students must bring their own masks to school each day. While we all wish we did not have to wear them, masks continue to be required indoors at school. Thank you!
Clear 2-Liter Bottles Needed!
We have an upcoming opportunity to work with artist Marilu Swett from the Boston Sculptures Guild. Marilu has proposed a sculpture project having students create individual lanterns that as a whole will formulate a collective light show. You can help! Please save Clear 2 liter bottles for us, send them into school and to the art teachers. The projected date for construction is October 12 and 13th.
Drop Off & Pick Up
PLEASE DO NOT:
- park along Cherry Street
- stop along the island or on the Cherry Street side of the parking lot
- drive up over the hill and in front of the school
- encourage your child to run across the street or parking lot to reach your vehicle
Following these directions will keep traffic moving, will prevent buses and other vehicles from being blocked, and most importantly, will keep everyone safe.
Students should NEVER run across the street or parking lot to or from cars.
Thank you for your help to keep everyone safe.
Free Breakfast & Lunch Every Day
Students at O'Maley have 15 minutes to eat lunch and 15 minutes of recess outdoors; in inclement weather, recess is held in the auditorium or gym.
Communication and Contact Information: Communication is essential for our ongoing partnership. Please be sure to keep your email address and phone numbers up to date in the student information system by informing the office if there are changes. Almost all communication from O’Maley will be electronic. If you do not have an email address, please let us know so that we can send you hard copies or a link to documents via SMS text messages.