Campus Parent Communication - November 13, 2020
At-Home parents - We want to thank you for your patience and understanding as we went through the day without Wi-Fi. Everyone did an amazing job adapting and being flexible while we were making adjustments to ensure our students still received an optimal day of learning.
Below you will find information regarding upcoming dates and events! Don't forget next Friday, November 20th is an Early Release Day for students. Students will be dismissed at 12:00.
Have a great weekend!
PTA Hosts Virtual Bedtime Stories with the Principals and Other Staff!
Instructional Delivery Model Selection Dates
2020 PTA Vaughan Spirit Wear Sale!
Golden Ticket Winners!
Congratulations to our Positive Office Referral recipients! They have exhibited excellent work ethic, shown kindness and compassion towards others, and have been a true example of the Vaughan Viking Creed. We are super proud of them for all their hard work and effort at school!
TOYS 4 TOTS COLLECTION INFORMATION
- Toys 4 Tots collection begins on November 16th and goes until December 4th.
- There is a collection box at the school for In-Person students to drop off new, unwrapped toys they'd like to donate.
- The student must bring the toy with them to school- we cannot accept any drop offs.
- To support At-Home Learner gift giving, we will have extra donation boxes at the Service Center and Admin Offices to drop their gifts in advance.
- All families also have the option to drop their gifts at the AISD dedicated spot that will be setup at the Allen Event Center where FOX 4 News and the Marine Corps League of Collin County will hold the Toys for Tots drive-thru toy collection from 5-10 p.m. on Tuesday, December 8.
PRE-AP COURSE NAME CHANGE FOR MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL
Beginning with the 2021-2022 academic year, Allen ISD will replace “Pre-AP/Pre-IB” with “Advanced” in any and all courses currently carrying the Pre-AP naming convention. This will affect courses for grades 6-12 at all Allen ISD campuses. This change is due to a new College Board policy, which requires districts to purchase their newly created “Official Pre-AP” curriculum in order to use the Pre-AP nomenclature in course titles. Allen ISD will not be purchasing this new curriculum. Please be assured all newly-named Advanced courses will continue to be taught at a high level of rigor utilizing the district-designed curriculum currently in place. Advanced courses in grades 9-12 will still carry a 4.5 GPA weight.
The district will continue to offer the full spectrum of Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) courses it currently does. AP course names and content are dictated by the College Board, so changing the name of Pre-AP courses to Advanced courses will not have an effect on AP course offerings. Similarly, IB courses will not be affected by this change as the International Baccalaureate Organization does not use the term “Pre-IB” in its course naming conventions.
Updates to the course names will be reflected in the 2021-2022 Academic Planning Guide and course selection forms. For more information, please see the Pre-AP Name Change FAQs document.
Reminder - Steam Ambassador Tutoring - Grades 5 & 6
STEAM Ambassadors will provide flexible, one on one online peer tutoring services to students 5-12 with homework help and science and math concept comprehension.
This tutoring is available for in-person AND virtual learners.
Assist students with math and science concepts through virtual tutoring sessions.
Provide accessible student support that would typically be offered in a face to face setting but has become increasingly difficult as students learn away from campus.
Establish a virtual tutoring model that successfully addresses the diverse needs of learners across Allen ISD.
Who are the tutors?
Tutors are 10th-12th grade STEAM Ambassadors that excel in science and math.
STEAM Ambassadors were chosen by board members, administrators, and teachers during an extensive interview process last spring.
Tutors have completed classroom observations and were trained on best instructional practices.
Please visit the STEAM Ambassador website to learn more about the leadership program and tutoring
How to sign up:
**Parents and students may view available times for tutoring sessions and sign up for a session here**
Students can learn about the available tutors by viewing their bios.
Students will sign up for a session at least 24 hours in advance, providing details regarding material they would like to cover during the session. Additionally, graded quizzes/assignments, homework, etc. can be submitted here for the tutor to review in detail with the student (reworking missed questions, clarifying/reteaching when necessary)
Prior to the first tutoring session a parent/guardian permission slip will be submitted
ALLEN ISD KINDERGARTEN TESTING FOR GIFTED & TALENTED PROGRAM (Reminder)
Testing for potential gifted identification for students in Grades 1-11 will be in the spring. Please watch for announcements after the winter break via district and campus communication.
Free Breakfast and Lunch Now for the Entire School Year (Reminder)
A BIG thank you to our Student Nutrition Department for working to meet the needs of our families in this interesting year!
ATTENTION PARENTS OF CURRENT VAUGHAN ELEMENTARY 6TH GRADERS (Reminder)
GREETINGS FROM THE NURSE!
I want to be proactive in helping your 6th grader prepare for 7th grade enrollment as deadlines will start to pop up much faster than you think!
Please pay close attention to the following information regarding vaccine requirements:
As soon as your student has had these immunizations please turn in the documentation to the Vaughan school nurse by hand, fax, or email. This will make the registration process for Middle School much easier.
- Individual notices will be sent out in January, February, March, April, and May reminding those students who still need to turn in proof of the above vaccines.
- After this initial notice, if you do not receive a notice, your student’s vaccines are current for 7th grade entry and no action is required.
If you do not currently have a family doctor or are unsure of where to take your student, you may consider the following option:
Collin County Health Care Services
Monday thru Friday: 7:30a – 11:00a and 1:00p – 4:00p
825 N. McDonald Street # 130, McKinney, TX 75069
Direct Line (972) 548-5532
• A complete shot record is required for all children’s immunizations & school nurse’s note alone WILL NOT be accepted.
• Cost ranges from $5 - $14 per shot per child.
• Medicaid / CHIPS are accepted but you MUST bring your current update for Medicaid & bring your CHIPS card with you.
• Cash or in-state check ONLY will be accepted. No credit or debit cards are accepted.
• All clinics are on a first come first serve basis.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Please see the information below from our yearbook coordinators -
We are so happy to have 'At-Home' learners and 'In-Person' learners this year! If you have an 'At-Home' learner, we would love to have pictures of your student learning at home! If you take any pictures please submit them to the link below.
Send pictures to - https://images.jostens.com/415573965.
Also, any parents that have first day of school pictures please send them our way following the directions above! We would love to have as many pictures of your student as we can this year!
Lastly, if you want to order a yearbook please order it through Josten's website. Click HERE to order now or click on the QR code.
The yearbook will stay at $30 until today 11/13.
We are so excited to have such an amazing year at Vaughan!
Thank you for all you are doing for your student, it is truly appreciated!
REMINDER - Allen ISD Resources
For the 2020–2021 school year, Allen ISD has compiled additional resources for our families. These resources are available on the Allen ISD website and can be accessed through the following links:
Upcoming Dates and Reminders
- Join Vaughan PTA- Please consider joining the Vaughan PTA to contribute to your child's school. Membership gives you access to our PTA online Membership Toolkit, ways to connect with Vaughan families through social media, and supports our school. https://vaughanpta.membershiptoolkit.com/packet-start/2046
Save the Date!
November 16th - December 4th - Toys for Tots Collection
November 20th - Early Release Day - 12 PM
November 23rd - 27th - Thanksgiving Break
December 3rd - Virtual Bedtime Storytime with the Principals - 7 PM