CSA Lincoln Newsletter
Friday, August 31st
Principal's Notes and Highlights
We could not have picked a better week to open the playground. It was warm, but to get a full week of play on it has been great. Hot items are the multi-person swings and Gaga Ball. Everything is being used, but those two seem to be drawing the most interest. Students have been raving about the turf and addition of the water fountain. We even had a few students utilizing the outdoor classroom for a drama play. I joined in on a couple games of Gaga Ball this afternoon. I can see why it is so popular with the students.
Dr. Roberts stopped by on Thursday and joined in on recess (photo). He also mentioned that he was here one evening this week and that several families from the community were taking advantage of our playground. Mission accomplished!
During Town Hall Meetings this morning I praised students for their care of the playground equipment and flower beds. As a reward, I gave them Monday off from school. Some were excited, but most caught on to the joke. Well, at least I thought it was funny.
Important Notes and Updates
- Starting on Tuesday, you will need to bring your driver's license to the front office if you plan to enter the building as a visitor. You will only need to bring it on your first visit. This is part of the new BCSC safety expectations. During this first visit you will get your picture taken and your ID will be scanned for a background check. Then a badge will be created for you. We have already started using the new system and it has been a very smooth transition. I have included a video that shows the process. It took about 30 seconds for Mrs. Shipley to scan my ID into the system, do the background check and create a badge.
- With much fanfare from the students we kicked off the CSA Baseball Reading Challenge (K-2 Letter) (3-6 Letter) this morning. I've linked the parent letters here, but they are also coming home in backpacks. We have some great prizes planned, but our ultimate goal is for students to develop a love for reading. Students who are not ready to read can still participate! Audio books or having the books read to them count. We hope you will help encourage your student to participate. Please let us know if you have any questions.
- Next Friday is the 'Grand' Reading Event! This is a very popular day at CSA Lincoln for grandparents, special guests and students. Information was sent home this week with your student. There is also a section in this newsletter with important information regarding the event. Please note that for these types of large school assemblies, visitors will not need to bring their ID. Grandparents and special guests will sign-in and only have access to their student(s). This is the same process we have used the past few years.
- ISTEP results for students in grades 4-6 are headed home in backpacks today. The school results are still embargoed by the state, but I can share that we had another successful year as a school! #workhardplayhard
- Registration for Girls on the Run and Trailblazers is still open. See the attached flyer for details.
Have a great long weekend. We will see you on Tuesday!
Play Ball with the CSA Baseball Reading Challenge!
'Grand' Reading Event
Join us for our annual 'Grand' Reading Event
Grandparents and/or special guests are invited to celebrate International Literacy Day and Grandparent's Day during A 'Grand' Reading Event on Friday, September 7th, from 1:45-2:30. All guests should arrive no earlier than 1:20 to check-in at entrance #2 under the stairs of the school. Your student(s) should be bringing home a flyer detailing the details for the day and you can find a electronic copy here.
Please be sure to fill out the bottom portion of the form and return to school ASAP, in order to ensure the students are dismissed correctly after the event.
If you are available to help check-in guests, we are needing a few volunteers to help from 1:00- 1:45. If you would like to volunteer, please contact our Project Manager, Shawna Netser, email@example.com. We look forward to welcoming our visitors for an afternoon of reading.
We're Listening - Surveys close on Sunday night!
In order to support our school, staff, students and "give backs" for our families, we do have several fundraising events throughout the school year. Let us know what types of fundraising events you would be interested in seeing this year:https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7PM6VYW
We are in a unique situation in that our school is not a "neighborhood school" and our students live all over the county. Therefore, it is important for us to create opportunities for our students and families to get together outside of school. Each year we love to offer free family events to give back to our school and do just that. We would love if you take a few moments to let us know what kind of free family events you would like to see us offer:
Vote Here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/92XXKTM
PTO Meeting - 9/20 6:00-7:00
CSA Lincoln on Instagram/Facebook/Twitter
Facebook: CSA Lincoln Community
Click here for directions on how to receive text message updates from Mr. Findley