Nutrition In College
Quinoa Breakfast Bake
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups frozen berries
- 1 apple or pear, peeled, cored, and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8-by-8-inch square baking pan, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together quinoa, cinnamon, and allspice to coat quinoa with spices. Pour quinoa over bottom of prepared pan.
- In the same bowl used for quinoa, beat eggs until fully mixed. Whisk in the and maple syrup, and beat to combine.
- Scatter berries, apple or pear, and nuts (if desired) evenly on top of quinoa.
- Pour egg and milk mixture over top of fruit and quinoa. Lightly stir to partially submerge fruit. (Milk mixture will cook quinoa to create a very soft texture on the inside while creating a lightly crunchy crust on the outside.)
- Bake for 1 hour, or until casserole is mostly set with only a small amount of liquid left. Serve warm, and refrigerate leftovers.
Green Salad with Apples and Toasted Walnuts
1/2 cup walnut pieces
2 Granny Smith or other tart apples, cored, halved and thinly sliced
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons minced shallot
1 teaspoon sugar Salt and pepper
1/3 cup olive oil
8 cups mixed salad greens
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spread walnut pieces on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake walnuts for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes, until just toasted. Pour into a bowl to cool.
2. Place apples in a bowl and toss with 1 Tbsp. vinegar. In a small bowl, whisk together remaining vinegar, mustard, shallot and sugar; season with salt and pepper. Whisking constantly, drizzle in olive oil and continue to whisk until smoothly blended.
- 3. Place salad greens, apples and walnuts in a large bowl. Toss with dressing just before serving.
1 3-lb. boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch chunks, trimmed of excess fat
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 large onion, quartered
3 cloves garlic
- Sprinkle pork with salt, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Place in a slow cooker along with onion and garlic. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender and falling apart, about 6 hours. Shred pork and serve hot.
Macromolecules That Are Important in Diet
Tips For Saving Money
- Try to buy produce in season since there will be a surplus. The more there are of a product, the less you have to spend.
- Cook in large portions to store food for later. This allows for there to be food for many meals.
- Consider planning what to buy when going to a grocery store or market. This is useful with healthy recipes and keeps people from impulse buying.
- Try shopping at local farmers markets for deals and lower costs. This also boosts local economy and supports small business.
- By eating healthy and cutting junk food out it also helps cut costs for food because you are getting nutritious meals without spending more money than necessary.
- Cut out unnecessary restaurant trips.
- Limit use of caffeine and other addictive drinks. They can become a costly habit that can be negative for health.
- Consider buying generic brands to save on money.
- Look into coupons for budgeting and sales.
- Try not to buy pre-packaged or pre-sliced items. They cost more and the work can often be done easily at home.
Food Assistance Contacts
Local Farmers Markets
AllYou.com. "100 Cheap and Easy Recipes Under $1 Per Serving." AllYou.com. Time Inc., 2016. Web. 07 Feb. 2016.
B., Lora. Lipid Structure. Digital image. Lipids and Cell Membranes. Studyblue, 2016. Web. 7 Feb. 2016.
Bahrampour, Tara. "More College Students Battle Hunger as Education and Living Costs Rise." Washington Post. The Washington Post, 9 Apr. 2016. Web. 07 Feb. 2016.
SHMOOP UNIVERSITY. Sucrose. Digital image. CARBOHYDRATES. SHMOOP UNIVERSITY, 2016. Web. 7 Feb. 2016.
College Confidential. "Off-campus Students: How Much Do You Spend on Groceries per Month?" College Confidential. Hobsons, 23 July 2011. Web. 07 Feb. 2016.
Forward Foods. "PROTEIN BASICS." Detour. The Right Protein. Forward Foods LLC, 2015. Web. 7 Feb. 2016.
Guzman-Lopez, Adolfo. "As UC Tuition, Living Costs Rise, Students Tap Food Programs." Southern California Public Radio. American Public Media, 09 Mar. 2015. Web. 07 Feb. 2016.
Hendrickson, Kristin. "Why Humans Need Nucleic Acids." LIVESTRONG.COM. LIVESTRONG.COM, 12 Oct. 2015. Web. 07 Feb. 2016.
Iliades, Chris. "Why Carbohydrates Are Important for Your Diet."EverydayHealth.com. Everyday Health Media, 26 May 2010. Web. 07 Feb. 2016.
Iredell Christian Ministries. "Iredell Christian Ministries, Inc. Home." Iredell Christian Ministries, Inc. Home. Iredell Christian Ministries, 2016. Web. 07 Feb. 2016.
K., Nina. "What Happens If You Don't Eat Enough Carbohydrates?"LIVESTRONG.COM. LIVESTRONG.COM, 01 May 2015. Web. 07 Feb. 2016.
King, Evan. "Students Rely More on Convenience, Price When considering Food Options." Flor-Ala. University of North Alabama, 17 Feb. 2011. Web. 07 Feb. 2016.
Malone, Emily. "Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » 5 Warning Signs You Aren’t Getting Enough Protein: A Guest Post from No Meat Athlete." 5 Warning Signs You Aren’t Getting Enough Protein: A Guest Post from No Meat Athlete. Daily Garnish, 3 Sept. 2010. Web. 07 Feb. 2016.
Ng, Nick. "Why Are Lipids Important to Diet?" LIVESTRONG.COM. LIVESTRONG.COM, 14 Jan. 2014. Web. 07 Feb. 2016.
Digital image. Nucleic Acids. TutorVista.com, 2016. Web. 7 Feb. 2016.
HHS.gov U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. "Why Is It Important?"President's Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition. HHS.gov, 2015. Web. 07 Feb. 2016.
Dept. of Computer Engineering and Microelectronics. Sequence and structure of proteins. Digital image. Protein Structure Prediction. Dept. of Computer Engineering and Microelectronics, 2016. Web. 7 Feb. 2016.
Shur, Rivkah. SNAP Benefits. Digital image. Crown Central Heights. UJA Federation, 2016. Web. 7 Feb. 2016.
The Salvation Army. "Food Assistance." The Salvation Army. The Salvation Army, 2013. Web. 07 Feb. 2016.
GoCollege.com. "Saving Money While In College." Tips to Save Money in College ~ GoCollege.com. GoCollege.com, 2016. Web. 07 Feb. 2016.
Urban, Rosalie. Glucose (dextrose). Digital image. Variation in the Structure and Properties of Carbohydrates. ROSALIE URBAN STEM, 2015. Web. 7 Feb. 2016.
- Zelman, Kathleen M. "10 Ways to Save Money on Food Shopping." WebMD. WebMD, 11 June 2012. Web. 07 Feb. 2016.