Third Grade Cardinal Chronicle
March 21, 2016
Mrs. Krapinski's Class
Follow us on Twitter: @skrapinski
Upcoming Dates to Remember
March 21- Rock Your Socks Day
March 21-25 Food Drive
March 25-IMI to visit 3rd grade
March 30- 6:00 3rd Grade Music Program
April 13- Muegge, Krapinski, and Johnston- Indianapolis Zoo Study Trip
April 14- Bousman and Grubbs- Indianapolis Zoo Study Trip
April 18-May 6- ISTEP multiple choice window
Morning reading and math groups will resume on Monday, March 21st and will continue through Thursday, April 14th. Thank you for going the extra mile and getting your kiddos to school early each day! We appreciate your support!
Mark your calendars for 6:00 on March 30th! The third grade students will be performing for all of you!
Students should be bringing home their recorders to practice in the evening and then bringing it back on their music days. Please encourage them to practice at home! :)
Students should wear their TCE classroom t-shirt and jeans or khakis during the performance.
Next Week's Special Area Classes
- Monday- Day 2 Art
- Tuesday- Day 3 P.E.
- Wednesday- Day 4 Music
- Thursday- Day 5 Art
- Friday- Day 6 P.E.
Student Council Food Drive!!
TCE Student Council will be having a food drive the week of March 21-25 benefitting the Fall Creek Township Food Pantry. Items can be brought to your child’s classroom and placed in their classroom collection box throughout the week. Below is a list of items that the food pantry is in need of:
Rice (white and brown)
Rice and Pasta Sides
Juice (grape and apple)
Thank you for your support.
Here's What's Happening in Mrs. Krapinski's Class
- This week we will start a new reading curriculum called Junior Great Books. It is a high ability resource that will really offer the kids a chance to develop their interpretive skills in literature. The stories are specially selected for their engaging, vivid writing and their ability to support multiple interpretations.
- Students have already completed a practice story called White Wave. They LOVED using persuasive skills and the text to support their answer!
- We will continue our small reading groups with JGB discussions.
- We will continue to do Daily 5 activities where students have the opportunity to read and write independently.
- We are continuing relating fractions to decimals and understanding how to find equivalent fractions that can convert to decimals.\
- We will have a quiz over our weekly concepts that were discussed (Topic 13).
- We will continue our unit on measurement. Students will begin to explore using non-standard units of measure...weight, length, temperature, and capacity.
- Students will begin the writing process to produce their young author book!
- Students will continue to write a creative story on a website called Night Zookeeper. This is a website, so students can work on it at home and at school. nightzookeeper.com
- We were able to Skype with the actual Night Zookeeper. Students loved it and had lots of great questions to ask!
During this unit we have been...
- investigating and learning about rocks and minerals.
- learning about the properties of minerals and rocks.
- comparing the different types of rocks.
- look at many books and websites to help us with our investigation.
- investigating fossils and creating our own.
We have special guests from IMI coming on March 25 to talk to the students more about rocks and minerals.
The Genius Hour fun and excitement continues. The students LOVE this time of the week! If you can imagine it... you can explore it!! We continue to study topics of our choice during Genius Hour ...one of best times of the week! We are learning and growing so much during this time. Ask your child what they are exploring right now for Genius Hour!
In the works during our genius hour time...making stress ball, bouncy balls, and cake balls...electronics investigations, animal investigations, how to make a robot...and so much more! We are growing chefs, engineers, biologists, veterinarians, and most of all...question askers and answer finders! :)
NEWS FROM THE THORPE CREEK OFFICE
Mr. Cushman’s Parties
(All Money is Due March 25th!)
YOU CAN ONLY ATTEND 1 PARTY! THE MORE MONEY YOU RAISE, YOU GET YOUR CHOICE OF PARTIES.
Along with the Thank You Gifts the American Heart Association is giving out, I have some additional incentives for collection. They are:
Top Ten Money Raisers Indianapolis Indians game with Mr. Cushman (TBD)
$15 - $30 Dollars Raised Free Day – Fun Day Party (April 23rd - 1:30-2:30 p.m.)
$31- $50 Dollars Raised Wii Dance Party (April 23rd – 12 -1 p.m.)
$51 - $75 Dollars Raised Dodgeball Party in Gymnasium (April 23rd – 3:00-4:00 p.m.)
$76 Dollars and UP Pizza Lunch with Mr. Cushman in the Gymnasium (April 22nd)
If you have any questions about these prizes or anything else related to our Jump Rope for Heart event this year, please call me at 594-4310, ext. 1430, or you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BOX TOPS AND LABELS FOR EDUCATION
Hello TCE Parents!
We are doing an amazing job this year! We have collected over
Box Tops and
Labels for Education since June! (WOO-HOO!)
To help motivate you and your children to continue to collect and submit these valuable pieces of cardboard and labels, I’d like to remind you all about a series of contests that have been implemented. Please see below for the details …
Each student who turns in Box Tops and / or Labels for Education will be entered into a drawing, of which 3 lucky students (chosen at random) will receive a goodie bag! The top collector will also be awarded an amazing prize! As an added bonus, I will keep track of what was turned in by who so that the class with the most submitted by the end of the year (for each grade!) will receive something special!
Please be sure that the Box Tops and Labels for Education are taped on their respective pages (or that they are in a sealed baggie) and that your child’s name, grade and teacher’s name is put on the page. Thank you, in advance for your efforts!
Winter Contest (December - February)
Collection Deadline: Friday, February 19th
Winners announced: Friday, February 29th
Spring Contest (March - May)
Collection Deadline: Friday, May 12th
Winners announced: Friday, May 19th
I will be picking up the Box Tops and Labels for Education on Friday afternoons so please feel free to turn in your sheets as you complete them and I promise to keep a running total for your child!