Colerain All Stars Newsletter
Week of Mar 14th
- Lunch Menu - SEE BELOW
- CCS Summer Experience - Registration Opens on March 15th - see section below.
- PTA Meeting - Wednesday, March 16th @ 6p - please join us to start planning for next school year. see section below
- World Down Syndrome Day - Monday, March 21st - wear "silly socks" to school in support/celebrate
- NO SCHOOL - Wednesday, March 23rd (records day)
- FEED-A-FRIEND - Wednesday, March 30th - please plan ahead for feed-a-friend. Donations are very appreciated and can be dropped off at Room 17th up until the morning of the 30th.
CCS Summer Experience
Registration opens in the Parent Portal on Tuesday, March 15.
- Login to Parent Portal
- Select the "hamburger" (three horizontal lines) at the top/left of page
- Select "more"
- Scroll down to "Quick Links" and select "summer school"
- Select "next" to confirm info
- Select blue "New Summer School Application" button next to students name to complete application
***Colerain is NOT an option this year because of HVAC work going on this summer. Alpine Elementary, Indianola Informal, and AIMS are good options****
In addition, we will be hosting our Virtual Family Engagement Session that evening at 6:00 p.m., which will focus on answering families' questions about the program. Families can RSVP for the Virtual Family Engagement Session at www.ccsoh.us/RSVP.
Please join us to start planning more fun, engaging, and hopefully in-person events for next school year!!!
Local Summer Camps
It's not too early to register for the many summer camps available around town:
Dominion M.S. "In Person" Tours
Wednesday, March 16 at 5:30 pm
Families do not need to RSVP, they can simply show up. Tours will be "self guided" with student and staff docents. This will allow families to explore the entire school building and learn more about Dominion AND the MIDDLE SCHOOL experience from students and staff.
You can even attend if Dominion is not your home middle school. There is a lot to learn about middle school in general!
CCS Virtual Family Engagement Sessions
"Sign Up for the CCS Summer Experience"
Tuesday, March 15 - 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. (on Zoom)
The 2022 CCS Summer Experience starts in June and it’s FREE to all Columbus City Schools students (K-12). This year’s Summer Experience has expanded to include new and familiar project-based learning opportunities. During this session, we will preview the hands-on enrichment opportunities that will challenge students to continue growing as learners.
"Summer Opportunity and Engagement #3"
Thursday, March 17 - 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. (on Zoom)
Every Thursday evening in March, our Family Engagement team will spotlight different community partners and organizations across our city who offer special summer-time opportunities for CCS students, including day camps, field trips, academic learning, and fun activities that are free. This session will focus on summer opportunities for our students with exceptionalities, including Special Education, Gifted & Talented, and English as a Second Language.
School Choice Deadlines
- DUE BY - Tuesday, March 22, 2022. - this applies to our lottery and overflow families.
Elementary School Lottery Applications:
- DUE BY - Thursday, March 31, 2022
All applications must be submitted via the Parent Portal https://www.ccsoh.us/Domain/188
Pathways Express - MARCH
Each weekend in March, students and families can explore one of the city’s most eclectic destinations, as well as shop at various merchants courtesy of gift cards donated by North Market (while supplies last).
The District’s Family & Community Resource Day will be hosted on Saturday, March 12, and it will feature:
- Special Scavenger Hunt;
- Book signing and reading from Brian Weisfeld, author of “The Startup Squad;”
- Giveaways from Hot Chicken Takeover, Jeni Ice Cream, and Block Bagels; and
- Resources and support from the CCS Family Engagement team and local partners.
More details here: https://www.ccsoh.us/Page/11279
Learning Extension Centers (LECs) Are Still Available
Each Learning Extension Center has their own ways to sign up and register. Service hours are also different. Some even offer services after school and early evening.
Click here to search/find LECs near you and their days/times they operate. Email or call the LEC contact to register.
- FREE Vaccine Locations (no appointment needed): see flyer below
- Ohio Department of Health: https://gettheshot.coronavirus.ohio.gov/
- Columbus Public Health: https://www.columbus.gov/c19vax/
- Children's Hospital: https://www.nationwidechildrens.org/family-resources-education/health-wellness-and-safety-resources/covid-19/vaccine
- Your Pediatrician: call them to see if they are providing vaccines yet
- ***NEW - FREE Fresh Food Market (starting Saturday, March 19th @ 11a) - see flyer below for more details.
- Huckleberry House (CRISIS Shelter)
- Real Mom Nutrition (CCS mom and Family Ambassador)
- First Tee Central Ohio (FREE Golf Classes for CCS Students)
- Columbus Parks & Rec Summer Camp Registration (outdoor camp registration starts Thursday, February 24th at 7 pm indoor camp registration starts March 1st at 7 pm)
- Joseph's Coats (& household goods)
- Children's Advocacy Project
- Cota Plus (rides to and from your home...accessible vehicles per request)
- Black Mental Health
- Tutoring Resources
- Action for Children
- CCS Website
- CCS Parent Portal
- CCS Peach Jar Flyers (community resources)
- CCS School Year Calendar
- CCS Virtual Family Engagement Sessions (current and archived sessions)
- CCS Translated Documents
- CCS Health Hub
- CCS Quarantine Guidelines (and Flow Chart)
- Special Ed Parent Mentor Program
Colerain Family Ambassador - Matt Dixon
The Family Ambassador is a liaison that facilitates partnerships, between families and the school, that support student academic success and well being.
If you have any questions, ideas, or feedback, please reach out to me either phone or email.