JS Library in Review 2015
3R's : Reflect, Refine & Revitalise
2015 THE YEAR IN REVIEW
JS LIBRARY: SEARCH - ASK - LEARN - CONNECT
Each year, we have an overarching vision and concept for the year. In 2015 it was about making connections to the Units of Inquiry through literature, information literacy and the development of the Makerspace.
A Makerspace has been designed to develop understandings around STEM, Design Thinking and to support the teaching with Digital Technologies.
2015 was also the International Year of Light and the Book Week theme was Books Light Up Our World.
INITIATIVES POWERED BY THE JS LIBRARY IN 2015
After reflection about the impact of the JS Library in 2014 and a consideration of new areas of focus for 2015 (see JS Library Annual Report) the following were identified.
- LITERACY 2015 SALC STRATEGIC FOCUS: Literature celebrations LITERACY 2015
- AUTHENTIC AUTHORS Students writing for a purpose and wider, global audience
- LITERACY PICKINGS (Advocacy and Information Sharing - see Junior School bulletins)
- SHARE A STORY: Literacy across the calendar year (see blog posts for each month)
- JS LIBRARY MAKERSPACE (Create - Collaborate - Communicate)
CONNECT TO THE JS LIBRARY: SHINE THE LIGHT
SHINE AT YOUR LIBRARY
- TO UNDERSTAND THE LIBRARY & ITS FUNCTION
- PYP AND LIBRARY USING THE CONCEPTS
- WORLD BOOK DAY 7TH March
- SCHOLASTIC BOOK FAIR 23rd - 27th MARCH
CONNECT TO THE UOI'S: THE LIGHT OF LEARNING
- INFORMATION LITERACY FOR STAFF & STUDENTS
- RESEARCHING, BIBLIOGRAPHIES & USING THE INTERNET
- SPECIFIC CONNECTIONS TO UOI's (e.g. Greenscreen & Digital Storytelling)
- DEVELOPING MAKER SPACE (CONNECTIONS TO STEM/DESIGN THINKING)
CONNECT TO READING: BOOKS LIGHT UP OUR WORLD
- CHILDREN'S BOOK WEEK and LITERATURE PROMOTION
- CLASS ENGAGEMENT WITH READING AND THE OVERACHING THEME FOR THE YEAR - 'LIGHTS, CAMERA & ACTION.
- DEVELOPMENT OF JS LIBRARY MAKERSPACE - LIGHT UP THE LIBRARY
KNOWING THE TEACHERS & MEETING THE NEEDS OF THE PYP THROUGH ICT
ACKNOWLEDGING A NEED FOR TEACHER SKILL DEVELOPMENT
iPads and Self Directed Professional Development
TEACHER LIBRARIAN COLLABORATIVE SESSIONS
CONNECTIONS TO UOI
- STUDENT RESEARCHING SESSIONS - INFORMATION
- ADVANCED RESEARCHING SESSION
- USING EDMODO AND TASKS FOR HOW THE WORLD WORKS
- WEBSITE BUILDERS – Compare and contrast
- How we Express Ourselves UOI (see SMORE Term 2 in review)
DEVELOPMENT OF SUPPORT RESOURCES FOR THE PYP
REFINING LITERACY: A SALC STRATEGIC FOCUS IN 2015
REFINING LITERACY & READING
FOCUS DAYS & LOVE YOUR LIBRARIES MONTH (FEBRUARY)
Examination of prior reading initiatives
Introduction of monthly literature and literacy focus
2) INTRODUCTION OF SHARE A STORY
Calendar concept by 2015 Children's Laureate - Jackie French with the aim to focus on a different aspect each month.
Connection to reading and the development of International Mindedness
3) WORLD READ ALOUD DAY
· Storytelling with Dr Seuss
- March 4th is Dr Seuss' birthday & World Read Aloud Day.
Establishment of Annual Literacy Celebrations focus
TERM 2 LITERACY CELEBRATIONS - Literacy Celebrations Week
REFINE: KNOWING YOUR STUDENTS THROUGH THE ICT MENTORS
The ICT Mentors (and their involvement in the Junior School) was an area that needed clarification in order to improve the opportunities for student personal growth.
Additionally, the call at the beginning of the year was made to younger classes to be trained as ICT Helpers.
- Refined ICT Mentors Role Description with clarified expectations at the start of the year.
- Students were trained and then supported other students in enrichment sessions and in class.
- Students in younger grades were given opportunity to provide support to other students.
ICT MENTOR LED SESSIONS
Lego Robotics, Programming, Digital Story Telling (i.e. Claymation and animations)
- Lego WeDo
- Programming with Apps
- Robotics (Cubelets, Bee Bots and Spheros)
Additionally, these students were offered the chance to participate and engage with other technology related activities.
REVITALISE THE JS LIBRARY
2016: FURTHER THE VISION
AIM: To continue with the possibilities of the JS Library Makerspace, STE(AM), and Design Thinking through the JS Library.
e.g. TERM 1: GO GO GADGET (construction/systems thinking/real world connections)
TERM 1 2016
MAKING CONNECTIONS WITH THE UOI'S
- UOI and Systems Thinking and The Way Things Work
- YEAR 4 Central Idea: Systems are used to maintain organisations in places of human interaction.
- YEAR 3 Central Idea: Scientific discoveries contribute to our understanding of the world.
MAKERSPACE - STE(A)M & DESIGN THINKING
- Improve It! Challenge
- Making Something That Moves (engineering focus)
NEW JS LIBRARY 2016
- Refurbishment of the JS Library ... stay tuned for more information....