Genetic modification has been occurring since 12,000 BC
Examples of Genetic Engineering
- Most common is found in crop agriculture. Agricultural Scientists have provided a number of crops with genes for desirable traits.
- Selective Breeding- enzymes can be used to clone and move segments of DNA, when DNA is taken out of one organism it is placed in another organism. That section of gene will get the characteristics from the organism it was taken from.
- Medicine- Genetic Engineering has been used to produce a large amount of insulin, growth hormones, follistim (which is used for treating fertility) monoclonal antibodies, vaccines, drugs etc...
Genetic Engineering Example Pictures
How is Genetic Engineering Useful?
- We can improve our food
- We can identify and isolate unwanted genes to try and eliminate them from a species, or we can isolate genes for positive traits and promote them in a species.
- Helpful for people with diabetes because they have to use insulin in order for them to survive.
- In 1973, the first modified organism was bacterium.
- 1994, first genetically modified foods were made available.
- Genetic Engineering in plants has improved resilience, nutritional value and growth rate of crops.
- In animals, it has been used to develop sheep to produce a therapeutic protein in their milk that can help treat cystic fibrosis.
- 1996, First cloned sheep was named Dolly.
Picture of Dolly, First cloned sheep
Vos, Shantille. "Dolly, First Cloned Sheep." Dolly, First Cloned Sheep. N.p., Apr.-May 2004. Web. 08 Sept. 2015.
-sited the website where i found the image of Dolly.
Relations to other areas of science
- Industrial Biotechnology
Other information that can be found in the future
- Enhancement of humans- modifying the human genome, which can occur when the embryo is still in the mother's uterus or via administration of exogenous DNA at any point after the baby is born.
- Descriptions of protein production.
- Environment- using engineered bacteria to waste into useful products such as plastic and fuel.
- Holland, Jenna. "DNA Technology In Laboratory Experiments –Genes Can Be Transcribed and Translated after Being Transplanted from One Species to Another Called Recombin." ⚡Presentation "ant."N.p., 2011. Web. 08 Sept. 2015.
- "Genetic Engineering Examples." Genetic Engineering Examples. N.p., copyright 2013-2015. Web. 08 Sept. 2015.
- "Applications of Genetic Engineering." Applications of Genetic Engineering. Boundless, 21 July 2015. Web.
- "What Is Genetic Engineering?" N.p., 22 Dec. 2014. Web. 8 Sept. 2015.
- Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 08 Sept. 2015.
- Hadzimichalis, Norell. "Future Genetic Engineering." N.p., n.d. Web.