River Bend Middle
October 19, 2021
We Need Substitutes
Like all schools, we are in desperate need for substitutes. If you are interested in a flexible career in LCPS, please CLICK HERE.
Lock Up Personal Items
We recommend that students lock up their personal items (e.g., bikes to the bike rack, cellphones in lockers, etc.).
If possible, please consider turning right when you exit our campus between 8:00-8:30 a.m. and 3:15-3:45 p.m. This is not always possible, but it does help with traffic flow.
Friday Night Football
Middle school students should be supervised by their parent, guardian, or another adult during all high school sporting events. Students should never be dropped off for a high school event without the supervision of an adult.
- Tuesday, October 19 = PTA Meeting via Zoom at 7:00 p.m. (Zoom Link)
- Wednesday, October 20 = National Unity Day (Wear Orange)
- Wednesday, October 20 = School Bus Driver/Attendant Appreciation Day
- Wednesday, October 20 = Parent Virtual Workshop: The Family Room Series at 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 20 = MSAAC Meeting
- Thursday, October 21 = 8th Grade Chorus & PFHS Concert at 7:00 p.m. (at PFHS)
- Friday, October 22 = Vision & Hearing Screenings for 7th Graders (out of HPE)
- Saturday, October 23 = PFHS Princess Tea Party
- Monday, October 25 = Spirit Week: Superhero Day
- Monday, October 25 = Academies of Loudoun Admission Window Closes
- Tuesday, October 26 = Spirit Week: Pink Day
- Wednesday, October 27 = Spirit Week: Camo Day
- Wednesday, October 27 = 8th Grade Orchestra & PFHS Concert at 7:00 p.m. (at PFHS)
- Thursday, October 28 = Spirit Week: Costume Day (8th - Dress like an Outsider)
- Thursday, October 28 = Vision & Hearing Screenings for 7th Graders (out of HPE)
- Thursday, October 28 = Last Day of Quarter #1
- Friday, October 29 = No School (Staff Development Day)
- Saturday, October 30 = Trunk or Treat at PFHS from 12:00 - 3:00 p.m.
- Monday, November 1 = No School (Teacher Workday)
- Tuesday, November 2 = No School (Student/Staff Holiday - Election Day)
- Wednesday, November 3 = Asynchronous Learning Day (A Day)
- Thursday, November 4 = No School (Student/Staff Holiday - Diwali/Deepavali)
- Friday, November 5 = Asynchronous Learning Day (B Day)
- Saturday, November 6 = Academies of Loudoun Writing and STEM Thinking Skills Assessment
- Monday, November 8 = Report Cards in ParentVUE and StudentVUE
- Friday, November 12 – Saturday, November 13 = 6th Grade All-County Chorus
- Saturday, November 13 = Academies of Loudoun Writing and STEM Thinking Skills Assessment
- Tuesday, November 16 = 7th & 8th Band Concert at 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 17 = 7th & 8th Orchestra Concert at 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 17 = MSAAC Meeting
- Wednesday, November 24 – Friday, November 26 = No School (Thanksgiving Break)
- Tuesday, November 30 = PTA Meeting at 7:00 p.m. (via Zoom)
- Thursday, December 2 = State of the Schools Learning Walk at 8:45-10:45 a.m.
- Thursday, December 2 = 7th Grade Orchestra Parent Night at 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, December 9 = Club Pictures
- Friday, December 10 = School Musical (Frozen Jr.) at 7:00 p.m.
- Friday, December 10 – Friday, December 17 = Scholastic Book Fair
- Saturday, December 11 = School Musical (Frozen Jr.) at 2:00 p.m. & 7:00 p.m.
- Sunday, December 12 = School Musical (Frozen Jr.) at 2:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 14 = School Musical (Frozen Jr.) School Performance
- Wednesday, December 15 = Quarter 2 Interim
- Thursday, December 16 = Jingle Jam Concert at 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday, December 18 – Sunday, January 2 = No School (Winter Break)
School Musical - Frozen Jr.
Purchase Tickets = Coming Soon
- Friday, December 10 = School Musical at 7:00 p.m.
- Saturday, December 11 = School Musical at 2:00 p.m. & 7:00 p.m.
- Sunday, December 12 = School Musical at 2:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 14 = School Musical - School Performance
In-person school clubs and activities are back at River Bend!
Please click on this LINK to view River Bend's current club and activity opportunities. This page, as well as the Club bulletin board outside of House B, may be updated throughout the year.
While some clubs meet before school, most are held after school. After-school activities begin at 3:30 PM and dismiss at 4:18 PM. In order to stay after school, students must give a completed and signed After-School Permission Form to the club/activity sponsor. This means that a separate permission form must be completed for each after-school activity a student chooses to participate in. Permission forms can be printed from the link above or are available on the Club bulletin board outside of House B.
If students will be picked up after clubs/activities, please arrange to be at the school for pick-up at 4:18 PM. Students also have the option to ride an activity bus on Tuesdays and/or Thursdays. Activity buses provide transportation to neighborhoods within RBM attendance zones. However, activity bus drop-off points are centrally located, so students may have a further distance to walk from the activity bus drop-off point to their home as compared to their regular bus stop location. All activity bus drop-off times are estimates and subject to variation. Please click HERE for activity bus routes.
If you have questions about a club or student activity, please contact the staff sponsor.
Indicator 8 Parent Involvement Survey
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) is asking for families who have a child with a disability and is provided special education services through an Individualized Education Program (IEP) to participate in the 2020-2021 Indicator 8 Parent Involvement Survey. The online survey is now open and available for completion in English and Spanish at the following websites until December 17, 2021:
English Version: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SY2021SURVEY-ENGLISH
Spanish Version: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SY2021SURVEY-ESPANOL
Students with early dismissals must be signed out in the main office by a parent/guardian prior to leaving school. Because our main office staff is involved with transportation from 3:00-3:30 p.m., early dismissals after 3:00 p.m. will only be allowed in the case of an "extreme" emergency.
For safety and security reasons, LCPS Transportation does not post bus stop locations for the general public.
Bus Route Information
To view your child’s bus route information:
- From a cellphone > Log into ParentVUE > click on your child > click on student info > click on additional information (at the bottom)
- From a computer > Log into ParentVUE > click on the student info tab > click on transportation information
Please remember that not all students are assigned a bus (this is based on your proximity to the school). If you are missing bus information, please contact transportation directly at (571) 252-1700 or visit https://www.lcps.org/Transportation.
If you have any problems with bus arrangements, please visit the Transportation Concern Registry
How Can You Help Reduce Traffic?
- If your child is assigned a bus, have your child ride his/her bus every day. LCPS school buses are given priority when it comes to entering/exit the campus.
- For those not assigned a bus, we want to promote walking, biking, and carpooling (this is part of the LCPS Congestion Must Go Campaign).
- If your child has an early dismissal, please make sure you pick up your child prior to 3:00 PM (this is outlined in the Student Handbook- page 15).
- If it is necessary to pick your child up after school, the suggested arrival time is between 3:15 – 3:30 PM. When vehicles start lining up at 3:00 PM, it creates a traffic gridlock where buses cannot get into our campus.
- Be patient if you are picking your child up in the kiss and ride lane. There is a potential of expanding this lane to “snake” through the parking lot, but for now please continue to follow the painted Ravens.
- 6th Grade Support = Christine.Wadley@lcps.org (Dean) or Katharine.Smorodin@lcps.org (Counselor)
- 7th Grade Support =Jennifer.Kassander@lcps.org (Dean) or Kathryn.Dober@lcps.org (Counselor)
- 8th Grade Support = Melissa.Dober@lcps.org (Dean) or Maria.Powers@lcps.org (Counselor)
- Health Services/Medication/Immunizations = Joy.Jones@lcps.org
- ParentVUE = Missy.Hooper@lcps.org or Kathryn.Dober@lcps.org
- Registration/Enrollment = Missy.Hooper@lcps.org
- Schedules = Katharine.Smorodin@lcps.org (6th), Kathryn.Dober@lcps.org (7th), Maria.Powers@lcps.org (8th), Sherrilene.Robinson@lcps.org (Special Programs)
- Special Education = Nicholas.Fisher@lcps.org (Special Education Contact) or Sherrilene.Robinson@lcps.org (Counselor)
- Technology Support = Simin.Husain@lcps.org, Andrew.Metry@lcps.org, or call (571) 252-2112
- Transportation = Call (571) 252-1700 or visit https://www.lcps.org/Transportation
Resources (River Bend Middle School):